If you could

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If you could start over in your MA training, with a clean slate, would you do it?

Could be the same style could be different, your choice.

Of late I have been thinking I would like to start over, from the beginning with taijiquan. Just go back to the beginning and go from there.

SENC-33

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you have been training for a long time look for an avenue to increase the effectiveness of your core. This is what I did when I threw Systema and Silat into my previous 25+ years of training. Of course I do this on my own now instead of training in someone else establishment.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I could start over with a clean slate I think I would've liked to have studied Kenpo. Was not and still isn't offered anywhere near me.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you could start over in your MA training, with a clean slate, would you do it?

Of late I have been thinking I would like to start over, from the beginning with taijiquan. Just go back to the beginning and go from there.

I do not regret my brief foray into TKD under Jhoon Rhee. I would not wish to have studied and been belted in any other art than Hapkido. I think an art such as TKD or other striking art is a good thing to have studied before studying an art such as Hapkido.

I do wish I had begun studies earlier.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, I wouldn`t start over. Looking back I am very happy with my choise of styles and teachers.

I did try Kobudo for a half year before quitting, something I might wish undone and spent time spent on an other art.. however a little knowledge of the sword can be certainly benefit one`s understanding of JuJitsu and some aspects of Karate so I don`t really regret it.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would certainly have started a lot earlier but I probably wouldn't have been able to train the way I do now because it just wasn't available in this country back 40 to 50 years ago. So I would probably have trained the same style, just a lot sooner.
:asian:

jwright11

White Belt
Reaction score
A Great thanks to all your comments. I think I am also take benefit from this...:readrules

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes! While I feel that I'm fortuante and blessed to have met certain people thru my Kenpo training, if I could do it all over again, I would've started right with Kyokushin.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's been such an interesting journey, that if I were to go back in time, I wouldn't change styles. Each art I studied fit who and what I was at that time, and helped me grow. So, no regrets.

On the other hand, if I were physically 20 or 25 years old again, I'd definitely want of get into a grappling art like BJJ. At 58 with a bad back, knees and ankles, that's not an option any more.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have been thinking that to go back and start again with a clean slate would get me right back where I am, not that I'm complaining because I am not.

To give up what I know to do that would be to much, however to be able to start over from where I am, knowing the right way from the wrong, knowing the styles to pursue, would be the only way to do this...from a very young age.....basically this becomes a youth is wasted on the young kind of thing... damn I'm old :uhyeah: