Techniques

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Food for thought:

What constitutes/defines a technique?

How important is it to have good technique?

What aspects of a technique makes you consider it to be good and/or effective?

Does the setting of where a technique is performed (sport, self defence, demonstration etc) change what makes it good and/or effective?

Reactions: MJS

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Food for thought:

Does the setting of where a technique is performed (sport, self defence, demonstration etc) change what makes it good and/or effective?
While technique can also describe the way you did it: Good; bad; OKish, it also means a basic 1,2,3 combination. The first two being set up shots, and the last a major move.

Things that may help you have good technique as far as motion goes, is to understand that strikes are simply intermissions of relaxation. In other words, release the breaks before you fire the rocket. The release is your height change. Height is always first in good technique, because you aren't any good to your self until your knees are bent. If you attempt technique from a standing position without releasing the breaks, you will have poor technique. God I would love to post a video. LOL

Bad technique makes you weak, and much less effective.

Control, makes a good technique. If you skip dropping your height, for instance, you have no control until after you complete the tech. :)

Sean

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ohhh....nice thread topic!! :)

Food for thought:

A move or series of moves, put together in a specific fashion, to defend yourself.

IMHO, very! Without good technique, your defense will suffer.

IMO, I'd say if it worked, then it was good. If you're aware of your surroundings, and you see a shady looking guy standing around, and you pick a different route, and you got to your destination safe, your tech was good. If the guy throws a punch and all you do is side step, parry, and palm the guy in the face, and he takes off or is stunned enough for you to escape unhurt, then your tech worked.

IMO, I'd say so. I would say that depending on the arena you're in, you should adjust for that.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ohhh....nice thread topic!! :)

A move or series of moves, put together in a specific fashion, to defend yourself.

IMHO, very! Without good technique, your defense will suffer.

IMO, I'd say if it worked, then it was good. If you're aware of your surroundings, and you see a shady looking guy standing around, and you pick a different route, and you got to your destination safe, your tech was good. If the guy throws a punch and all you do is side step, parry, and palm the guy in the face, and he takes off or is stunned enough for you to escape unhurt, then your tech worked.

IMO, I'd say so. I would say that depending on the arena you're in, you should adjust for that.
If it worked but screwed up your shoulder in the process, it was bad technique. :)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

On one hand this seems kind of obvious, but what the heck. Here's an "off the cuff" definition:

A martial arts technique is a physical action or movement used on an opponent to acheive a particular objective for combat, self-defense, sport competition, or simply done for practice and recreation.

Examples of techniques would be a punch, kick, throw, lock or submission hold. Techniques are typically single actions but are often contain mainly components that contribute to their successful execution, including stance, steps, structure, kinetic linkage, speed, balance, power, timing, and intent or focus. And of course individual techniques are linked into combinations of techniques. and the ability to execute technqiues consistently and well is what we call having good technique.

Very.

Coming from a WC/VT/WT perspective, I define a good technique as whatever gets the job done effectively and with the maximum efficiency (i.e. the smallest movement, executed in the shortest time and using the least effort possible).

Other, more power oriented approaches might define good technique as whatever gets the job done most reliably.

In WC we prize efficiency and eschew "clashing force against force" so that's "good technique", but if you are really strong and tough, you might find that a "hard syle" approach gives you great results, so you woud define what is "good" according to what is reliable or what "works for you".

Setting, situation, timing ...all are critical to successful application. That's why the real pros I've known often get really, really good at a realative handful of techniques, but boy can they set you up!

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score

MSJ gave a good definition

I would consider it very important regardless of the focus of training. In a sporting context it separates the winner from the loser. In a self-defense context it could well separate the injured from the non-injured or the living from the dead.

That it works on a live, resisting opponent/attacker in the correct venue.

This is a paramount consideration. For example, in a sporting venue, getting an opponent in a rear naked choke or triangle or kamora can be the goal that ends the competition in your favor. In a 'street' fight it could well mean your defeat, injury or death. The reason is simple, in a sporting venue you don't have to worry about weapons, multiple attackers, cheating (i.e. biting, gouging, crushing etc), hard surfaces, wet or dim light conditions, traffic etc. So being fairly immoble on the ground locking/chocking your opponent is one thing, doing so to an attacker with the above considerations is quite another.

As I've said many times, the methodology differs quite a bit depending on the venue, focus and goals of training.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it worked but screwed up your shoulder in the process, it was bad technique. :)

Probably. :)

Edit: OTOH, if it means walking away with a minor injury and still being alive, vs. getting my *** kicked, I'll take the shoulder injury. :)

TFP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Pretty complex question. I think technique is important but sometimes can be trumped by power and intent.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A technique is defined by

- timing,
- opportunity,
- angle,
- force,
- balance.

A good technique is a technique that you can have high successful rate that you only have to take the least amount of risk to execute it.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
1. the manner or ability with which an individual employs their technical skills
2. the body of specialized movements, postures, procedures and methods utilized
3. the method used to accomplish something.
4.the technical degree to which one is able to apply movement, postures, procedures or
methods.

In the reality of combat when strength, conditioning, and desire are the same then all one has is technique. In the sense of showmanship technique is utmost.

1. The appropriate movement to position must be efficient and effective.
2. The movement and positioning must allow for both defense and offense simultaneously.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
No. Technique is nothing more than movement/s to position. What one does within the movement will be based upon what is appropriate for the situation. What is applicable and when is it applicable.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now would you consider a stance or footwork to be a technique in it of itself, something separate or part of whatever technique you are using with them?

I can only talk from my experience in the art I studied and am belted in; Hapkido. In the Hapkido I studied don't have forms, but rather what we call techniques. It can be a simple block, or more complicated. How we stand is important, and for sure our footwork is important. But I wouldn't consider a stance or the footwork themselves to be 'a' technique, but part of 'a' technique.

Your question first asks about technique, which to me can have broader meaning than 'a' technique, which would imply one of the techniques I have learned. But in that broad meaning, certainly how you do a technique, that is, mechanically how you effect the technique can be considered technique in a broad sense. That is, if I try to do things incorrectly, especially blocks and joint manipulations, I may need more power to do it, or not be able to do it at all. Properly done, a manipulation is like the Borg; resistance is futile. :boing1:

SENC-33

Green Belt
Reaction score
Some good points made so I will just add my 2 cents. Whatever technique(s) you practice on a daily basis it is only as good as your ability to control and apply them under the most extreme of stressful situations. This is why I advocate simple but brutally effective striking techniques practiced over and over and over again.