If you could go back in time

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you was able to redo your training from day one would you change anything , style, teacher, school or are you happy with what has been giving to you over the years. Have you really learned to appreciate all that your teachers have given you and do you wish you would have listen better in the beginning.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The only thing I would change would be starting 15 years earlier. Other than that, there's not much more that I could ask for.

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure. I mean, if I started earlier, I may not have met my current instructor (whom I TOTALLY adore! He's awesome!), but my life could have turned out differently (if I had started earlier).

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would have started that notebook with stuff from every class a LOT sooner.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you was able to redo your training from day one would you change anything , style, teacher, school or are you happy with what has been giving to you over the years. Have you really learned to appreciate all that your teachers have given you and do you wish you would have listen better in the beginning.

I'm happy with what I have been given (which some would say is not much, while others might call a wealth of riches). As I look back, even the mistakes, injuries, stops and starts, all played a part in the very good place I've come to in the martial arts. But life's surprising, so who knows what's around the corner? In middle age, though (over 30, er...40, uh..., well, 40++) have learned to expect good surprises along with the bad. :) Age and experience have their benefits. :uhyeah:

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, NO one can go back to the past and change things. We must accept where we are and make the most of it. (I know, all of you know this). This is all in FUN here and some serious stuffs too.

OK....I agree with everyone above....most of us wish we had started our training early. If only I did not quit so often? .....HUH? and kept training.......Where would we be ? ..if we started a long, long time ago? Where?

Maybe on Mars? ...near the moon....one will never know? What rank would I be? ...Would I have been a Teacher in the martial art world. Would I be Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee friend and partners? Joe lewis's?

UM....If we could go back.....I would buy GOLD bars,coins,Micro soft stocks,invest with Micheal Dell computors,and buy more land in Hawaii!

If only? Too bad for me.....i cannot go back......Aloha ...(But tomorrow,if only tomorrow it can come sooner...than we can do something today?)

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is a tough one. You see, what Im doing training wise these days is alot better than the stuff I did in the past, but if I hadn't done that stuff before, I might not have truly appreciated the stuff Im doing now.
Ah well, i guess whats important is that I still have the time to make the most of whats here and now :)

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I am happy with my path. :) The only thing I would change is start at an earlier age.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is an excellent question Terry. I am grateful for how and when I started, perhaps if I started earlier I would not have appreciated it as much, and if I would have started it at a later age, I would not have been able to stick with it, due to other responsibilities.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Starting earlier is the only thing I'd change. But I'd want the same instructor, same lineage, etc.!

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Easy. I would have stayed away from the commercialized cookie cutter sport TKD school I attended and instead remained with my first, more traditional TKD instructor - even though it would have been a long commute and advancement was much slower.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Setting the "way back" machine for 1957. My first encounter with anything martial arts wise, was a book on Judo my uncle let me read. It looked so cool..............we said stuff like "cool" back then. :ultracool After my uncle showed me a hip throw and an arm bar throw, I decided to show my friends at school the nifty........there, another 50's word.....:wink1: stuff my uncle showed me. OK, it's morning in the school yard (catholic school) and there's about 300 kids yelling and playing, with the Nuns watching and waiting for the bell. Now were in the middle of the schoolyard and I do the hip throw on my friend.............You thought I was Moses and parted the waters. Everybody cleared the area, when they saw was this kid going upside down in the air..........:lol2: I didn't know that Nuns attack in a pack, but I found out that day. They all carry hidden rulers........:mst: betcha didn't know that about them now did ya......:eek: Anyway, it took a lot of shuckin and jivein, to get out of that trouble and promise to never do it again. The only good thing that came out of it was there was a young priest who just happened to be watching from a second floor class room window. He caught me when I came out of the principles (Sister Mary of pain) office and walked with me. When we were out of sight of the office he turned to me and said......"you know, if you turn your left foot out, you'll get a lot more power in that throw"....:rofl: Kind of made my day.

OK, to answer the question, I think Judo would be my logical choice. Back then, according to old judokas I have talked with, Judo had everything one could want in a martial art. I was just to young at the time to see it.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1. I never would have loaned an alleged good friend $5,000..

2. I would have never quit smoking for those 2 years which means I would have never put on those 60 lbs that NEVER left..That's about it..Boring huh??

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would leave the past alone.

Yes, with hindsight reputedly being 20-20, there are any number of bad performances, embarassing flops, sparring losses, training gaps that I might fix..... but on a retry, I also could do wrong where I once did right..... and at least I've gained something by coming to terms with the many things I didn't do my best at. I think having those negative experiences and failures can make one better, if you're willing to face them and learn from them.

I'll work on the future. Thank you for a very thought provoking question, though.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You know Terry if I went back in time and changed what I did I would no longer have some of the experiences that have allowed me to get where I am. Those experiences have been crucial to forming what I do and do not do in IRT. So having been blessed with starting out in Tae Kwon Do and Modern Arnis then some Kickboxing, PPCT & Defensive tactics and lots of seminars and private instruction on other arts and eventually finding Budo Taijutsu and Gracie Jiujitsu I feel absolutely blessed. To all my teachers you are great and thanks for your time! So no I would not change a thing.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Would mentioning letting this blond hottie I knew in Fla get away be out of line????

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Would mentioning letting this blond hottie I knew in Fla get away be out of line????

Hmmm... I don't know about `out of line'... but it could be distinctly dangerous! :D

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm... I don't know about `out of line'... but it could be distinctly dangerous! :D

She was dangerous and I'll let it go at that...:uhyeah:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I probably would have liked to begin my training at the school and with the instructor that I have now. While there wasn't anything really negative about where I started, I feel that my needs are fulfilled moreso now.

I am however, greatful for all of the instructors that I'd had. They are all good people and all offered something, in their own way. :)

Mike

Latest Discussions