ever really hurt someone

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you great people ever really had to hurt someone to the point of putting them in a hospital and what was the circumstances behind it?

I know when I was doinf alot of sparring tournament I broke a few bones, but not to the extent of some \body spending the week in a hospital room.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
The worst I have ever done to anybody is a broken arm and a few concussions, but nothing to the point of a hospital stay. We have had other things like broken ribs, noses and one hand, that I can recall. Even with having knocked other fighters out in knockdown nobody ever went to the hospital and had to stay.

You know, even with the super-intense training we have never had anybody end up in the hospital.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
In class or in a self defense situation?

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just once, and it was before I began studying martial arts. I was in my early 20's, and a bouncer in a somewhat rowdy bar. I was actually by far the nicest bouncer in the place, and had a reputation as a peacemaker.....until a jerk came in one night and smacked one of our waitresses and knocked her over a table. It didn't help matters that she was also my roommate's girlfriend. I went after him like a rocket. I don't remember what I did to him (this was almost 30 years ago), but he was in the hospital for 3 days. The chief resident called the bar owner and asked what the hell we did to the guy.

Looking back, I'm not sure if it would have been better or worse if I had been a MA student at the time. On one hand, I might have had more restraint, but on the other hand, I also might have killed the guy right on the spot.
I'll do just about anything to avoid a fight, but if I see you strike a woman, all bets are off.

I'll also say that was the only time I've ever hurt someone and felt absolutely no remorse.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
While working as security for a university bar I have twice broken someone's wrist with qinna. All in the heat of the moment and I didn't even realise to after the fact.

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
yes but never to the extent of hospital care, i try to be nice to people i don't look for trouble.and like ''bushidomartialarts'' posted someones feelings being hurt can sometimes hurt worse then physical pain

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to say yes. a student whated to feel a teq. done on him so he got a vest protector and punched in. I just reacted to his movement. and the next thing he was in the air about 3 feet over the ground and I did a open palm strike to the pad. He hit the ground and his skin color change to yellow and he was in a ton of pain. after about 5 min. we took him to the E. R. the Dr on that night did x rays and a cat scan. his liver was shocked and about 55 of the surface was brused he said. wanted to know what blunt object hit him. we told him what happened. he really did not believe us. the pain was so intense the DR gave him morphine and we where there for about 6 hrs. he was told he could go home and rest. he was out of work for a few days. the dr. said any harder and his liver could have went into failer...
the pad was about 2 in think..
kosho

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have successfully bruised an ego....

egos need to take a beating ever now and then lol.

Me nah iv never hurt anyone except maybe my brother.. but he doesnt count and it never put him in the hospital.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, when attempt's to do serious bodily harm existed and all other reasonable options had been exhausted.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I thought I had injured a training partner's neck the other day... grappling, attempting an arm triangle. he squirmed, I tightened, it turned into a nasty neck-crank. He "verbally tapped with extreme volume". He was ok in a few minutes but I felt pretty bad the rest of the night.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've recounted in brief in other threads the circumstances of the one instance of me putting MA training into practice. I don't know the true extent of the injuries I inflicted but I know what they sounded like and I'd rather not have to do it again.

Oddly, the worst sounding was probably the lesser harm - it was closer to my ears as I had hold of the chaps arm at the time. The greater injury is the one I feel really guilty about as I essentially destroyed the fellows knee joint from the side :yeuk:.

I've always been pretty much anti-violence all my adult life but having been involved in such an event quite early on in my MA training made me realise just how easy it is to make a mess of someone if you know what you're doing. That in turn made me realise that it puts the responsibility on you to make sure you never have to do it ... if you can catch such convoluted logic :D.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I put s.o. in the hospital long ago when the only MA I knew was boxing, and felt so bad that I looked him up a couple years later and apologized (even though he started it by taking a 'knock out' swing at me). Just as Sukerkin, have recounted this before so 'nuff said here. But now armed with much more MA knowledge and skill, I do count it a responsibility to try to use care not to put myself in situations where using the MA's might be necessary.