IDENTITY on reputation points

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we all have our bad moments, our bad posts too. We're human beings. But even if a poster is completely wrong and someone thinks they should be "punished" with their disapproval, it doesn't help that poster become better. That red button just says somebody out there doesn't like him/her enough to tell him nicely why he's wrong and isn't "big enough" to set aside emotion and not brave or sure enough of his opinion that he/she has to hide with anonymity. But I don't think the disapproval thing is necessary unless someone is really being abusive. If the disapprova/difference can't be posted as a rebuttal in the thread, then it would be a better idea just to "PM" them but be courteous. Isn't martial arts, at least in my opinion, about growing as a person in the process?

Another solution seems to have surfaced. Just complain here about bad rep points, with the post referenced, and let everybody decide. I know I have given good rep points in response already. So for the people who want to give bad rep, they may have just done a big favor instead.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have gotten good points and bad, it doesn't matter to me. I don't see why everyone is making such a big deal over it. This is just an internet forum, not the real world. If it was slander it would be one thing, but the amount of bad points only show up in your user section where no one else can see. I think some people are taking it WAAAAAY to serious.

Respectfully,
DPTJH aka Frodo :uhyeah:

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, but as a 'glorious beacon of light', you haven't much to worry about reputation wise. It becomes alot more significant when you're just starting out, when, incidentally, it seems to be important.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Datu Puti said:
I have gotten good points and bad, it doesn't matter to me. I don't see why everyone is making such a big deal over it. This is just an internet forum, not the real world. If it was slander it would be one thing, but the amount of bad points only show up in your user section where no one else can see. I think some people are taking it WAAAAAY to serious.

Respectfully,
DPTJH aka Frodo :uhyeah:
Slander is spoken, Libel is written.

As I have said in the past Mr. Hartman, how people behave on 'unreal' internet forums where there is no concieveable consequence or where they are free to flex 'internet muscle' can be more telling than when we are operating within the limits of the 'real world' of peer pressure, social norms, work environments, real threats of physical confrontation.

I find that internet 'freedom' via anonymity tends to bring out a person's true nature for good or ill. Admitedly, I have given neg and pos rep points w/o a signature/ID in the past. After seeing how significant a demonstration of good character a clear, up front ID is to folks I will ID my rep point hits all the time.

I mean, hell, I already have an up front profile so that people know who I am and that my account at least seems more credible. I have nothing to hide so I don't leave any suspicion by being upfront there doing the same in Rep point distribution seems consistent.

People are talking about integrity and moral courage through these discussions. THey are talking about abuse of powers and unfair distribution of influence/power.....not a bad thing to discuss in my book.

I don't think it is accurate to say that the internet is 'unreal' Tim, as much as 'cyber reality' because the people who enter electronically are just as real as the people who would enter the door of a school. Since impressions here can have an impact on 'real' interactions, I would definitely say this is real. Bob Hubbard earns a living from this making it very real in my eyes (probably Bob's too). The question is whether it is significant IMO, not whether it is real.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's a perfect example of what has been discussed. I just posted and went into some other pages, came back and saw that my rep points had been negatively hit with this as the signature:

"be wery wery qwiet...im hunting wedbwades. heheheheh."

Other than the fact that it would read better if read as:

"Be vewy vewy quiet. I'm hunting wedbwades. Heh heh heh heh heh"

if I was a betting man, I would say that 'wedbwades' is suppose to be "RedBlade." What is the point of making such a comment in conjunction to my last post? Who would need to dredge up such an unrelated topic in the comment line?

That has to be left to speculation since the author wants to be less than upfront or use rep point commentary for anything constructive. Petty, cowardly and juvenile.

Please no pity positive rep points as TW mentioned. For those who like to 'hide' your character is showing. You took me down from 259 to 244 with one blow. You must be a Master Black Belt/high rep point holder for such a powerful one stroke shot. Obviously such titles don't mean much in the way of responsible use of power in your mind.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
loki09789 said:

As I have said in the past Mr. Hartman, how people behave on 'unreal' internet forums where there is no concieveable consequence or where they are free to flex 'internet muscle' can be more telling than when we are operating within the limits of the 'real world' of peer pressure, social norms, work environments, real threats of physical confrontation.

I find that internet 'freedom' via anonymity tends to bring out a person's true nature for good or ill. Admitedly, I have given neg and pos rep points w/o a signature/ID in the past. After seeing how significant a demonstration of good character a clear, up front ID is to folks I will ID my rep point hits all the time.

I mean, hell, I already have an up front profile so that people know who I am and that my account at least seems more credible. I have nothing to hide so I don't leave any suspicion by being upfront there doing the same in Rep point distribution seems consistent.

People are talking about integrity and moral courage through these discussions. THey are talking about abuse of powers and unfair distribution of influence/power.....not a bad thing to discuss in my book.

I don't think it is accurate to say that the internet is 'unreal' Tim, as much as 'cyber reality' because the people who enter electronically are just as real as the people who would enter the door of a school. Since impressions here can have an impact on 'real' interactions, I would definitely say this is real. Bob Hubbard earns a living from this making it very real in my eyes (probably Bob's too). The question is whether it is significant IMO, not whether it is real.

I agree with most of this.

How people act, at work and here, also will tell how they will act otherewise.

As to reality, that is questionable, to some reality is defined by their perceptions. So, you are right it is real to some.

As to Bob Hubbard the owner making a living from Martial Talk. I think he and the Federal tax system would disagree. Yet, you probably do not have that info. So it is understandable.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Here's a perfect example of what has been discussed. I just posted and went into some other pages, came back and saw that my rep points had been negatively hit with this as the signature:

"be wery wery qwiet...im hunting wedbwades. heheheheh."

Other than the fact that it would read better if read as:

"Be vewy vewy quiet. I'm hunting wedbwades. Heh heh heh heh heh"

if I was a betting man, I would say that 'wedbwades' is suppose to be "RedBlade." What is the point of making such a comment in conjunction to my last post? Who would need to dredge up such an unrelated topic in the comment line?

That has to be left to speculation since the author wants to be less than upfront or use rep point commentary for anything constructive. Petty, cowardly and juvenile.

Please no pity positive rep points as TW mentioned. For those who like to 'hide' your character is showing. You took me down from 259 to 244 with one blow. You must be a Master Black Belt/high rep point holder for such a powerful one stroke shot. Obviously such titles don't mean much in the way of responsible use of power in your mind.

Paul,

I always sign my posts - Rich P or Rich Parsons. I usually give positive, and reserve the negative to deliver a message. Ask Paul Janulis, and I sign them as well.

I would have to disagree as to titles, and leadership and feedback of their opinion. From what I read above you want only positive feedback. No negative feedback. You do not want to hear an opinion that disagrees with your own opinion.

Paul, please think about your own posts here. It may not be your intent. And as you said you cannot stop people reading something into them. Yet, when people are making these comments, treat it as constructive feedback. That is what I take it as. Yes, I have received negative feedback. I did not hunt them down. I did not complain. As an Assist. Admin, I could see who it was, and I have replied, telling them thank you for your feedback.

On a side not I do agree with how you edited your own feedback. It does read better the way you wrote it.

:asian:

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
loki09789 said:

Paul,
I think that your one of those people I was referring about. Take a pill or something.

Flatlander,
I try to give out good points every day and based of your previous post I know on at least once I have given you positive feed back.

I never look at a person’s rep first; I look at the content of their posts. When I give out good or bad points I just do it.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Paul,

I would have to disagree as to titles, and leadership and feedback of their opinion. From what I read above you want only positive feedback. No negative feedback. You do nto want to hear an opinion that disagrees with your own opinion.

Paul, please think about your own posts here. It may not be your intent. And as you said you cannot stop people reading thing into them. Yet, when people are making these comments, treat it as constructive feedback. That is what I take it as. Yes, I have received negative feedback. I did not hunt them down. I did not complain. As an Assist. Admin, I could see who it was, and I have replied, telling them thanking you for your feedback.

Rich, I made it clear about what rank I was referring to: the MT account rank and how people wear/use such rank or such high rep point influence, not real world rank.

My commentary about 'negative feedback' was directed at the negative rep points in conjunction with a clearly pointed, yet unrelated/unsigned comment. It was not directed at the posts/posters presented here in the open.

Not looking for agreement only, as it should be clear from my 'no pity pos. rep points' comment and the fact that I commented on the comment/topic, not the commentor.

Unlike you, the rest of us are not asst Admins and don't have tools of back checking at our disposal for personal research to find out who gave us neg/pos rep points. If I asked you to find out and let me know who hit me with the negative rep points, would you?

I am NOT asking because for you to use your power as an Admin for my personal issues. As far as I am concernd that is abuse of power, and do not want to be party to it. It is no different in my mind to an LEO using his access to personal information to get a girls phone number for a date or to target a person and ticket the hell out of them based on a personal perception instead of fairness/principle.

I am not interested in hunting, only in members acting with character in an upfront fashion. The general tone of this whole topic is how the admin support team can help satisfy that request/need/will of the members. Bob has been open to such comments and seems to be moving in a direction to aswer that member need.

The point about Bob using this forum for income was not a negative comment (please see my comment as 'constructive as well), simply a detail that supports my point about the reality/substantiallity of this internet forum. People also use this to form opinions/promote teachers,events and trends that impact the real world so I would say that also supports the 'reality' of the internet and such forums.

The personal comments about 'your take' on my motives or what I 'seem to be like' I have already addressed in other threads: Please talk to me direct via PM/Email for clarification/discussion.

Based on models of harassment procedures anywhere else, I have asked directly for you to refrain from such comments because they are not welcome nor are they topical/productive IMO, toward me or anyone else.

I have tried resolving this with you off line by PM/Email, per your suggestions in the past and you continue to do so.

Now that I have made clear my wishes, if you continue to make personal comments about my arrogance, 'tone' or 'your take' on my personallity I will simply alert such behavior to the Mods and put you on my ignore list.

Can we go back to the topic of discussion please.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Umm... Don't you guys think that it's kind of dorky getting upset and argueing about rep points? That's almost like "Hey... your magic user threw fire on my dwarf, causing him to lose hitpoints! Waaahhhh!"

Also I would LOVE to see the look on the judges face if you tried to sue for libel because of "rep points," if it even made it that far... :rolleyes:

Your Friend,
Judge Judy

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Rich, I made it clear about what rank I was referring to: the MT account rank and how people wear/use such rank or such high rep point influence, not real world rank.

My commentary about 'negative feedback' was directed at the negative rep points in conjunction with a clearly pointed, yet unrelated/unsigned comment. It was not directed at the posts/posters presented here in the open.

Not looking for agreement only, as it should be clear from my 'no pity pos. rep points' comment and the fact that I commented on the comment/topic, not the commentor.

Unlike you, the rest of us are not asst Admins and don't have tools of back checking at our disposal for personal research to find out who gave us neg/pos rep points. If I asked you to find out and let me know who hit me with the negative rep points, would you?

I am NOT asking because for you to use your power as an Admin for my personal issues. As far as I am concernd that is abuse of power, and do not want to be party to it. It is no different in my mind to an LEO using his access to personal information to get a girls phone number for a date or to target a person and ticket the hell out of them based on a personal perception instead of fairness/principle.

I am not interested in hunting, only in members acting with character in an upfront fashion. The general tone of this whole topic is how the admin support team can help satisfy that request/need/will of the members. Bob has been open to such comments and seems to be moving in a direction to aswer that member need.

The point about Bob using this forum for income was not a negative comment (please see my comment as 'constructive as well), simply a detail that supports my point about the reality/substantiallity of this internet forum. People also use this to form opinions/promote teachers,events and trends that impact the real world so I would say that also supports the 'reality' of the internet and such forums.

The personal comments about 'your take' on my motives or what I 'seem to be like' I have already addressed in other threads: Please talk to me direct via PM/Email for clarification/discussion.

Based on models of harassment procedures anywhere else, I have asked directly for you to refrain from such comments because they are not welcome nor are they topical/productive IMO, toward me or anyone else.

I have tried resolving this with you off line by PM/Email, per your suggestions in the past and you continue to do so.

Now that I have made clear my wishes, if you continue to make personal comments about my arrogance, 'tone' or 'your take' on my personallity I will simply alert such behavior to the Mods and put you on my ignore list.

Can we go back to the topic of discussion please.

Paul,

Even if I wanted to help you with who, gave you the negative reports, I cannot. The tools are not set up for that. Bob, and the owner coudl spend many hours searching the database by hand and other tasks, to try to find out, if you wish to file a complaint, about it being abused, such as with language.

As to PM, well you did not reply to my last replies to you. I did not know where we stood. And then I come here, and find what I see as something that looks like it is from the past. Hence I replied, to address your comments and concerns.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
Also I would LOVE to see the look on the judges face if you tried to sue for libel because of "rep points," if it even made it that far... :rolleyes:

Your Friend,
Judge Judy

Hey Judy,

Maybe we should form the point police? Then maybe chapters of the guardian pointers?

Yours,
Curtis Sliwa
:boing2:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
I'll start the Michigan chapter of the point gaurdians!

Do I get to wear a red bonnet?

Now that brought a smile to my face. That was a good one.

On another note. I don't have enough time in my day to worry about who likes me and who doesn't. People may like my posts and may not. I certainly won't lose sleep over it.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Paul,

Even if I wanted to help you with who, gave you the negative reports, I cannot. The tools are not set up for that. Bob, and the owner coudl spend many hours searching the database by hand and other tasks, to try to find out, if you wish to file a complaint, about it being abused, such as with language.

As to PM, well you did not reply to my last replies to you. I did not know where we stood. And then I come here, and find what I see as something that looks like it is from the past. Hence I replied, to address your comments and concerns.
That's funny, I have two replies to your account in my sent files. I know I replied.

Funny how my posting concerns over rep points draws such fire with three previous pages of concerns from others not getting a lick of bullying and abuse. If you think these types of concerns are a waste of time, don't waste your time here.

E

Emptyglass

Hi all:

My opinion: Reputation is bull. Lots of people have petty jealousies, rivalries and other such stuff. It's easy to be this way on the internet so don't get worked up over it. Who cares? I thought it was interesting at one point but have realized it's not worth considering. Give good and bad points where you feel it is appropriate don't worry what others think as long as you back up your arguments with solid factual information that you are willing to stand by with evidence you feel is credible.

Take it for what it is worth and don't sweat the rep points. I feel it's not a real fair system since it is weighted on various factors instead of being a 1:1 system anyway. I've been on the receiving end of anonymous bad rep as well but that doesn't stop me from helping and objecting where I feel it is appropriate.

It's just the way it is on this forum.

Remember: Good information is good information. If someone says something that makes you think or helps you out, who cares what their "reputation" is?

Thanks,

Rich Curren

E

Emptyglass

loki09789 said:
That's funny, I have two replies to your account in my sent files. I know I replied.

Funny how my posting concerns over rep points draws such fire with three previous pages of concerns from others not getting a lick of bullying and abuse. If you think these types of concerns are a waste of time, don't waste your time here.

Paul:

:rolleyes:

Respectfully,

Rich Curren

E

Emptyglass

According to my current rep points, I have "some shameless behavior in my past."

Well, I can't argue with that. :)

Thanks,

Rich Curren

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
loki09789 said:

Thats true...
TW

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Paul,

Hence I replied, to address your comments and concerns.
Thus ignoring my request and conditions, whether you read it in PM or on this public posting format. It doesn't mean much in the long run but I am going to honor my statements from earlier as a matter of integrity/principle in the least.

post script 11:39 pm (e.s.t.):

This edit is a few minutes after the original text. I just tried to put Parsons on my ignore list and found out that I am not allowed to because of his Asst Admin status... so I will have to just consciously ignore him if I can't electronically ignore him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions