Ideas for Fundraising

Hopeful Tomorrow

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Hopeful Tomorrow is currently seeking ideas for fundraisers for their partner studios to host. Currently we are pretty stuck on the "a-thons" such as Kick-a-thons, kata-thons etc. We provide all materials for the fundraisers so ideally we try to keep it fairly simple. After all we are a non-profit. We are currently considering doing an open house type of fundraiser for our studios. We would provide coupons for "bring a buddy" day for the students to hand out to their friends at school. We would also try to get prizes donated for a raffle to have at the event. Has anyone tried to anything like this in the past? Was it successful? Kick-a-thons and such are usually pretty successful and fun for the kids but they get to be a little played out after awhile. Any comments or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Have a great day!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A lot of the schools (K-12 education, I mean, not MA schools) around here have event nights at local restaurants, usually high-end fast food or low-end sit-down restaurants - a percent of the sales for a particular day goes to the school that is sponsoring the event, in return for advertising by the sponsoring school/club, often with some kind of demonstration. For example, my school's band had a fund-raising evening with a local Chipotle, and played outside the restaurant for several hours.

Since you are a registered non-profit, you might be able to work something with one or more restaurants in your area, and maybe have a demonstration or a-thon in front at the same time.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Host a crnival for the day at a local business, bounce houses, obsticle course and stuff like that.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Utilize "National ----- Month/Day" and partner with an existing entity that can help provide a space. Terry is spot-on about that. That way you wouldn't have to worry about location overhead. It also pools both groups' resources/followings to maximize donation cash.

Formulate a goal with a cause and figure out what you want to do.

Then with all that in mind, figure out a budget and work from there to get the best quality in advertising and equipment (if necessary); much of capital could be gained through sponsorship proposals. Lots of companies out there would be more than happy to give money to a non profit for tax purposes. You'd be surprised at who gives.

Figure out good times prior to the event to begin advertising through posters and print ads. In my experience, however, newspaper print ads aren't really effective unless you're paying a LOT. However, local radio and TV stations are willing as long as you're able to get past the intern/screener. It never hurts to court the free advertising. Heck, radio stations are supposed to advert PSAs (especially for non profits). It'll be at odd times, but hey, free is free.

Using the internet is key. Creating a buzz without spamming people is pretty easy, but persistence and an upbeat attitude are essential. This is for the kids.

Another thing... people coming to this event need something to bring back home... T-shirts are always a good thing. That way you can place your sponsors on the back... as well as any promotional goods you've put up for the event.

I digress.... PM me to brainstorm if you'd like. I love doing events like this. I can explain more as well. This has worked for me in a number of fundraisers that include bike rides, animal rescue fund raisers, Toys for Tots, bake sales, concerts, etc. I haven't attempted to get a carnival, but with proper planning and a positive outlook on the situation, your goal will be met.

The more creative the event, the better. And once you're done, there's always next year to improve.

I know I've been all over the board with this, but once it's down on paper, it's all about the KISS method, and a "can-do" perspective.

There's also looking for grant funds for this. Urban Future, a non profit in my city looks for these as well. They also work with underpriveliged kids.

Keep up the great work. Children need positive support in their lives.

Latest Discussions