Ibbf Tkd

Tyler1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Happy new year everybody!

Are there any IBBF TKD'ers on the board, if so can I ask a few questions?

Thanks,

Tyler

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
International Black Belt Federation. It was started by Masters and Grand Masters that studied under Grand Master Moo Yong Yun.

What questions do you have?

OP
T

Tyler1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
International Black Belt Federation. It was started by Masters and Grand Masters that studied under Grand Master Moo Yong Yun.

What questions do you have?

I didn't want to ask this, I don't want to offend anybody, but just thought you might have an opinion on the post below.

I have been in 2 Fargo IBBF TKD tourneys this year, and I was really surprised on how fast we are moved through the comp.'s. I don't want to sound negative @ all, but the sparring with single elim. and only 3 people sparring, why not have the last 2 guys fight for true second.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
The reason they dont make another match is a matter of time. Its been my experiance that many times the tournament organizers forget why they are running a tournament in the first place. Instead, once they get the money in hand they make the attempt to get you in and get you out as quick as they can. Makes their day easier and gets the tournaments done sooner so they can go party. We have gone to conselation matches for anyone who only gets one match. Takes more time but experiance is what we are there for. We also do double eliminations for all black belt and poom belt competitors.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Looking at their website the IBBF states that it is the third largest TKD organization in the US?!!! Of course this is also the guy that is claiming to be a 15th Dan Grand Master Instructor (adds his ranks in TKD, Kumdo, and Hopkido together).

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
"Looking at their website the IBBF states that it is the third largest TKD organization in the US?!!!

I reviewed the site (both) and must have missed that item! Just exactly where was it located?

"Of course this is also the guy that is claiming to be a 15th Dan Grand Master Instructor (adds his ranks in TKD, Kumdo, and Hopkido together)."

OK, I'm again confused????????? Just what is your point and just for the record, you don't add up different ranks levels to total up to some outlandish number.........Just for arguement sake, what would that 15th Dan Grand Master Instructor title be in?...........

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Looking at their website the IBBF states that it is the third largest TKD organization in the US?!!!

I reviewed the site (both) and must have missed that item! Just exactly where was it located?

From International Black Belt Federation

The IBBF is an organization of Tae Kwon Do Master Instructors, Black Belts, and students with roots to Grandmaster Moo Yong Yun, founder (WTF certified 9th degree black belt) of Fargo, ND. With schools throughout North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Alaska, Florida, Washington, Wisconsin, and Iowa. The IBBF is proud to be the 3rd largest WTF certified organization in the U.S.A. ! The IBBF sanctions monthly tournaments, hosts an annual camp for black belt training, and is able to bring in some of the world's most talented martial artists for special training seminars.

"Of course this is also the guy that is claiming to be a 15th Dan Grand Master Instructor (adds his ranks in TKD, Kumdo, and Hopkido together)."

OK, I'm again confused????????? Just what is your point and just for the record, you don't add up different ranks levels to total up to some outlandish number.........Just for arguement sake, what would that 15th Dan Grand Master Instructor title be in?...........

From Marquart's TaeKwonDo & Kumdo

Grand Master Instructor, Eugene Marquart
15th Degree Black Belt Martial Arts-Triple Master
7th Degree Black Belt Taekwondo(WTF-Kukkiwon Certified)
4th Degree Black Belt--Kumdo & Kumbub
4th Degree Black Belt Hapkido
Chairman, International Black Belt Federation(IBBF)

7+4 +4 = 15 of something...I guess... if you're trying to impress people who know nothing

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well no wonder, I was looking at the wrong web site :duh:

I thought the references were about the link I posted. :shrug:

Wow!, if this is going to be the new standard, lumping all the dans together, then there's going to be some folks around that will be at least 56 or 74th degree dans. :uhyeah:

It's good to know that I'm learning something everytime I visit..........

ATTENTION!.......:bs:SALUTE!.................. OK at ease, smoke em if you got em.....................

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I just talked with a guy who used to belong to the IBBF. Left some years ago. He left because according to him they had a weekend seminar, learned 12 techniques and earned their black belt in Hopkido the same weekend. Did the same with the Kumdo apparently. Dont know how they earned their advanced ranks but reminds me of when I was in Korea a few years back. Was given a Black Belt certificate in Kumdo after spending all of 4 hours learning nothing more than how to recieve your sword and how to draw your sword. Ripped it up as soon as I got back to the hotel and threw it in the garbage.

UncleDuke

White Belt
Reaction score
From International Black Belt Federation

From Marquart's TaeKwonDo & Kumdo

7+4 +4 = 15 of something...I guess... if you're trying to impress people who know nothing
Regrettably power (of any kind) corrupts, I looked at my old green belt certificate last night, date August 10, 1976 and signed by Master Instructor Moo Yong Yun, (at that time a Sixth degree), Eugene Marquart took the test the same day (passed also) but has been instructing since May of '76 according to his website. Frank Boardman was assistant for all of our classes until his marriage November 12, 1977 so I'm as confused as the next person. My advice is to find a school where the instructor has personal qualities that you admire as well as the ability to teach you what you wish to learn.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are quite a few IBBF schools around the midwest, 3rd largest? I doubt it. I was a member of IBBF schools when I was younger, have not been to one of their events or tournaments since 1995ish so I can't really say anything about how they are run now.

radmantkd

White Belt
Reaction score
all the schools in the ibbf are legid,but some are in it mostly for the money and power. i can honestly say without a doubt one of the most respected instructor in this organization is grand master jim grimestad. i personally have been teaching with him for over 20 years and have never heard any derogatory remarks about him or his teaching methods. as far as being power hungry, if you were to go to his school, if you didn't know him by face already, you wouldn't tell him apart from the rest of his instructors because he want to look like he's trying to be a god amongst his students.

Latest Discussions