I need your help with listing different martial arts in different regions of the world!

Maddogkull

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In about a year I am planning on couch surfing and WOOFing around the world. I am planning on making a documentary of my travels since one of my passions is media arts. My other passion is martial arts of course. I am planning on going to different countries around the world and partaking in different styles. Now I am only starting to make a plan about this, and I need your guys help. I know Muay Thai is in Thailand, Kung Fu-China, Karate-Japan. But I am looking for rare/unique martial arts to partake in and document if allowed. If you have the time can any of you list some unique/rare martial arts that are truly amazing throughout the world?

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Interesting project...Goodluck!

Here are just a fraction of possibilities. I know you have already mentioned China and Japan but remember there are MANY styles within each geographic area.

Kapu Ku'ialua (Lua): Hawaii
Kara-Ho Kempo
Kajukenbo

Silat: Indonesia

Wing Chun: China

Kyokushin-Karate: Japan

Kuntao:phillipines
Escrima
Krabi Krabong

Savate: France

Systema: Russia

Krav Maga: Israel

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can I ask please what is WOOFing?? Thank you Jenna x

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Add Choy Li Fut, Xingyiquan, Taijiquan, Baguaquan, Liuhebafa, Bak Mei Pai, Bok Foo Pai and Yiquan to the China list.

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The original styles from the original places?
Because there are alot of good Martial Artists in countries that are not the place of origin ;)

Good luck!

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Add Choy Li Fut, Xingyiquan, Taijiquan, Baguaquan, Liuhebafa, Bak Mei Pai, Bok Foo Pai and Yiquan to the China list.

The possibilities are HUGE, especially in China. I would personally focus on the Chinese arts that use at least a little bit of economy of motion. LOL That would cut the numbers quite a bit-

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
The possibilities are HUGE, especially in China. I would personally focus on the Chinese arts that use at least a little bit of economy of motion. LOL That would cut the numbers quite a bit-

Strictly sticking to economy of movement as the criteria top two in my book for TCMA: Xingyiquan and Yong Chun. :)

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Let`s see.....

Burma= Bando

Ireland/ Wales = Purring

Argentina = Garrote Larenz

India = Kalaripriata

The entire Mediteranian area and middle east= wrestling

Brazil = Brazillian Jujitsu, Capoeira

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
For Jujutsu I would go to Japan and no place else. BJJ got its inspiration from there.

Ninjutsu would also be a choice for Japan obviously, but I don't know how much you are allowed to share. I know in Genbukan, techniques and pictures can only be published with the permission of Tanemura sensei. Perhaps Bujinkan or Jinenkan are different.

Another opiton would be to look at sword techniques from different countries. Iaido and kenjutsu, chinese sword, european sword, etc.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Tang So Do and Gumdo, Hawang Do, Korean arts for the most part.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Strictly sticking to economy of movement as the criteria top two in my book for TCMA: Xingyiquan and Yong Chun. :)

Agreed but with Chinese arts you may not find a "good" sifu just by popping in and saying Hi I am here to learn for TV

List of Chinese Arts

However there was a guy in Beijing that was on TV already showing Wing Chun in Human Weapon, Wang Sifu but I believe his school in Beijing is now closed and the Chen family may be open to it if contacted properly and just about any Sanshou school and possibly Yao Sifu in Beijing for Yiquan (but that one I am far from sure of)

Your typical Xingyiquan Sifu in China tends to be rather private from what I can gather but I could be wrong. Either way they are hard to find.

There are Yin style Bagua groups in the US and Europe associated with He Jinbao out of Beijing, maybe you could look to them for a contact if you were looking at Bagua

Either way if you are going to look to China I would stick to the cities, the countryside can be a bit iffy for a foreigner even if you speak mandarin

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yiquan in Beijing

I was just looking at this website and I found that the training schedule is for group classes

80 RMB ($11.72) for 2 hours and you can train 7 days a week or 180 RMB ($26.37) for a 2 hour private lessons and you can train 7 days a week.

And if you pay for 10 or more personalized classes, get the same amount of group classes for free. Which then would amount to 40 hours of training for 1800 RMB ($263.70).

But I am still not sure the Yao Sifu would let you film it

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Agreed but with Chinese arts you may not find a "good" sifu just by popping in and saying Hi I am here to learn for TV

List of Chinese Arts

However there was a guy in Beijing that was on TV already showing Wing Chun in Human Weapon, Wang Sifu but I believe his school in Beijing is now closed and the Chen family may be open to it if contacted properly and just about any Sanshou school and possibly Yao Sifu in Beijing for Yiquan (but that one I am far from sure of)

Your typical Xingyiquan Sifu in China tends to be rather private from what I can gather but I could be wrong. Either way they are hard to find.

There are Yin style Bagua groups in the US and Europe associated with He Jinbao out of Beijing, maybe you could look to them for a contact if you were looking at Bagua

Either way if you are going to look to China I would stick to the cities, the countryside can be a bit iffy for a foreigner even if you speak mandarin

Agreed, you're not going to just pop in and get good training. The Sifu's in China don't work that way. Besides, even if you train for a month or two, you will have learned practically nothing about either art. I've been doing Xingyi for over a decade, I still consider myself a total noob. :p

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is a list of various Okinawan styles but not complete and does not include school listing.

Shorin Ryu (Kobayashi)
Shorin Ryu (Matsubayashi)
Shorin Ryu Matsumura)
Shorin Ryu (Suikunhayashi)
Goju Ryu
Uechi Ryu
Isshin Ryu
Ryuei Ryu
Okinawa Kobudo
Okinawa Kobujutsu
Ryukyu Kobujutsu