I need genuine help

polish_killa

White Belt
Reaction score
So I am pretty new to the craft- training since november 2023. My club is focused on no-gi BJJ and MMA. During my training, I do both but MMA is limited to boxing only (for now). My training buddies are way better grapplers since they have more experience, but I am one of the best MMA guys. I have no idea what to pursue next, because next year it will be either this or that. I enjoy MMA more, but my parents are kinda sceptical towards it (you will get CTE blah blah blah). Any suggestions? If that helps, my coach said my boxing style reminds him of the mexican one.

MuayJitsu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Training not even a year and yet your one of the “best mma guys “ yeah not buying that

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd focus on BJJ as it sounds like you have people better than you to train with (meaning you'll develop way more)
And you don't get CTE from BJJ

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So just to clarify - you've been doing MMA and BJJ. You have to choose one or the other, for some reason? How old are you?

Your profile says that you're 14 - at that point, I'd go with BJJ. There's no reason you can't change/add other arts in the future, it'll make your parents happy (who probably pay for/have to drive you there), and you'll have more/better training partners.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So just to clarify - you've been doing MMA and BJJ. You have to choose one or the other, for some reason? How old are you?

Your profile says that you're 14 - at that point, I'd go with BJJ. There's no reason you can't change/add other arts in the future, it'll make your parents happy (who probably pay for/have to drive you there), and you'll have more/better training partners.
Sound advice right there.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, BJJ.
Don't choose to get hit in the head. I know someone who got her bell rung by the boom on a boat. It ended her ability to work, because she just couldn't concentrate any more. Similarly, another friend can't work any more, and undergoes extensive rehab for her traumatic brain injury from an automobile accident. And then there's headaches and an inability to get a good night's sleep. For some, that's for the rest of their life.

Here's an article on TBI and MMA. Head Trauma Exposure in Mixed Martial Arts.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, BJJ.
Don't choose to get hit in the head. I know someone who got her bell rung by the boom on a boat. It ended her ability to work, because she just couldn't concentrate any more. Similarly, another friend can't work any more, and undergoes extensive rehab for her traumatic brain injury from an automobile accident. And then there's headaches and an inability to get a good night's sleep. For some, that's for the rest of their life.

I have experienced 13 TBI incidents and I’m just fine. What were we talking about again? 😫

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, BJJ.

I’m in this category of one too many, I have some issues from it. I started boxing at 8.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I am pretty new to the craft- training since november 2023. My club is focused on no-gi BJJ and MMA. During my training, I do both but MMA is limited to boxing only (for now). My training buddies are way better grapplers since they have more experience, but I am one of the best MMA guys. I have no idea what to pursue next, because next year it will be either this or that. I enjoy MMA more, but my parents are kinda sceptical towards it (you will get CTE blah blah blah). Any suggestions? If that helps, my coach said my boxing style reminds him of the mexican one.
Did you make a decision?