I like Kenpo...

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Body of knowledge? Exactly what do you mean by that?

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dave you have on your web sight "James Mitose 21st Great Grandmaster of Kosho Shorei Ryu Kenpo Karate."

James Mitose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

how is Mitose the great grand master of anything? he left Hawaii at age 4 in 1920 and returned to the states at age 21 in 1935 and in that time he became the 21st grand master ? now Mitose karate is obviously an okinawan art his only kata was naihanchi, karate did not exist in Japan untill Funikoshi arrived in 1922. so i have to assume he studied shotokan for a few years or he was a BS artist who didnt study anything but rather read Funikoshi's and Motobu's books and got his karate from there.. during the time he was in Japan there are no other alternitives to explain his art. he didnt go to okinawa and karate didnt exisit other than Funikoshi on the mainland. so what exaclty is he the grandmaster of? on any and all accounts he is a practioner of okinawan karate at best and he is not Motobu's or Funikoshi's direct successor.

see this is the type of stuff that makes kenpo lose all credibilty!!!!! stop trying to remake history people!!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK not science but scientific method.

Scientific method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Because one of my coaches is a gigantic brain guy. And explains mma by these principals.

2013-updated_scientific-method-steps_v6_noheader.png

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://www.realfighting.com/content.php?id=66

so this is the science of the adrenal system, does your martial art take into consideration the effects of the "chemical cocktail" that will be surging in your system? if so how do you trian for it? what techniques will not work under these stressors and how do you compensate for it?

No its not. And this just irks me.

Your link is to an opinion piece. Of a guy who is not a scientist.

I have no real opinion on kempo either way. For the record.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Drop bear , of course you are right about the link. sorry. but i was trying to find something to link to about the effects of the adrenal system in fighting and that was the best i could find quickly. but i do belive the info in the piece is accurate. i wanted something from a science journal but i couldnt find it.
the point i was trying to make tho was that learning about how the brain operates or maybe a study on the bio-mechanics of movents or phychology effects within violent behavoir would be a science and that learning a center line theory is a training methology no different really than keeping your hands up and bobing and weaving in boxing.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drop bear , of course you are right about the link. sorry. but i was trying to find something to link to about the effects of the adrenal system in fighting and that was the best i could find quickly. but i do belive the info in the piece is accurate. i wanted something from a science journal but i couldnt find it.
the point i was trying to make tho was that learning about how the brain operates or maybe a study on the bio-mechanics of movents or phychology effects within violent behavoir would be a science and that learning a center line theory is a training methology no different really than keeping your hands up and bobing and weaving in boxing.
That is a sweet science, and measurable in effectiveness compared with more hare brained methods. :)

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Touch of death, i would concede to your statement except that all arts have training methods like this. wing chun has the centerline/ central line, aikido has irimi and tenkan movments, kali has the triangle. kenpo says it is based on science unlike the other arts which are not. i would then have to deduce from reasoning that if all the other arts have similar conventions in their training then either this is not science or kenpo is no different than other arts and the satement is false.
there have been training philosophys as far back as Alexander the great, the greeks and the romans. probably even before. the Romans became one of the greatest empires on earth because of its methodical and disaplined fighters and tactics. tactics are but one factor in combat but as you say its more effective to have good tactics then not. all fighting systems have well thought out tactics and so this does not make kenpo unique.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yeah I had a look as far as an opinion piece it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. At least the guy was an MD and had a PhD in something. ( I couldn't find out what)

Yeah I think we are touching on scientific method again here.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch of death, i would concede to your statement except that all arts have training methods like this. wing chun has the centerline/ central line, aikido has irimi and tenkan movments, kali has the triangle. kenpo says it is based on science unlike the other arts which are not. i would then have to deduce from reasoning that if all the other arts have similar conventions in their training then either this is not science or kenpo is no different than other arts and the satement is false.
there have been training philosophys as far back as Alexander the great, the greeks and the romans. probably even before. the Romans became one of the greatest empires on earth because of its methodical and disaplined fighters and tactics. tactics are but one factor in combat but as you say its more effective to have good tactics then not. all fighting systems have well thought out tactics and so this does not make kenpo unique.
Kenpo means someone's method of fighting with the fists; so, I wasn't saying it was different. LOL And I am guessing Alexander was only a blip when it comes to the history of fighting. :)

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wasn't saying it was different.

you may not have said it was but it was mentioned in this thread and it is a common narative. Alexander may have played a major part in the history of martial arts. Alexander in the quest to dominate, moved all the way to india. when not in combat the troops entertained themselves with a competitive fights for sport. this kept the men in shape and skills sharp. the combat method was called pankration.
Pankration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
( note: original pankration disapeared within history the modern art is a repackaged form of MMA)
it is often belived that because alexanders men always intergrated within the culture that the Greek pankration is the basis for the fighting arts of India mixed with the native exersize of "forms" and spread east to create Chinese boxing and karate.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you may not have said it was but it was mentioned in this thread and it is a common narative. Alexander may have played a major part in the history of martial arts. Alexander in the quest to dominate, moved all the way to india. when not in combat the troops entertained themselves with a competitive fights for sport. this kept the men in shape and skills sharp. the combat method was called pankration.
Pankration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
( note: original pankration disapeared within history the modern art is a repackaged form of MMA)
it is often belived that because alexanders men always intergrated within the culture that the Greek pankration is the basis for the fighting arts of India mixed with the native exersize of "forms" and spread east to create Chinese boxing and karate.
I find that very funny. :)

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
you may find it funny but its following the verbal mythology. Japanese karate is from okinawa, okinawa karate means chinese hands and comes from interactions with the chinese. the chinese say wushu "boxing" came from Bodhidharma who traveled to china from India over the silk road and taught the shaolin monks fighting forms. India is where Alexanders men retired and settled. this would only apply to just that one line and does not have anything to do with other Japanese arts like Aiki, judo or samurai arts.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you may find it funny but its following the verbal mythology. Japanese karate is from okinawa, okinawa karate means chinese hands and comes from interactions with the chinese. the chinese say wushu "boxing" came from Bodhidharma who traveled to china from India over the silk road and taught the shaolin monks fighting forms. India is where Alexanders men retired and settled. this would only apply to just that one line and does not have anything to do with other Japanese arts like Aiki, judo or samurai arts.
Tracing some half mythological history is fun but if you think about it, civilizations have risen and fallen, through out the history of the world, and to even half consider they never, "waxed on, and waxed off" is absolutely golden. Real comedy is afoot here. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Bodhidrama, Alexander, Samurais, Bruce Lee, Japanese, Okinawans, etc. Just a bunch a guys who did Martial arts. Just like you, just like him, just like her, just like them. Don't let anybody tell you different.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
But you can say the same of any other science.

Kenpo CAN be rationally explained and CAN be reliably applied.

I HAVE taught it to people who used it effectively on a regular basis.

The fault of unreliable results is not Kenpo. It falls on the explainers and the appliers.

Dave Hopper

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But you can say the same of any other science.

Kenpo CAN be rationally explained and CAN be reliably applied.

I HAVE taught it to people who used it effectively on a regular basis.

The fault of unreliable results is not Kenpo. It falls on the explainers and the appliers.

Dave Hopper
IDtenT Error. :)

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think there is a difference in the art "itself", and the various "applications" thereof.
Some students of the "classical" don't apply what they learned in that same way.
Make sense?

First you have to learn the recognized form, and function, of "music"...
After some time, you are able to make your "own music". Based upon the "principles" of what you have learned.

Latest Discussions