I like Kenpo...

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back to the question I asked earlier:

what do you like about it and what (if anything) do you not like about it? why do you like it

are there techniques that are particular favorites?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to the question I asked earlier:

what do you like about it and what (if anything) do you not like about it? why do you like it

are there techniques that are particular favorites?

I would be interested to hear about Kenpo in general. Yeah Billc, please elaborate?

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I think it was less the Kenpo and more the people teaching it. Both Roland Roemer and Bruce Juchnik were focused on why and how things worked and kenpo was one of their vehicles for getting that done. They taught understanding the way to people in combat interacted, the timing, distance and angle and when and where you wanted to be postioned in relation to an attacker. I have to say Roland is an excellent teacher. You would look at a student doing something and you knew it was wrong but I couldn't explain how to correct it...he would come in and in a few short words get the student doing the right thing...amazing. Bruce Juchnik...when I first attended one of his seminars (he would come to our school about 4 times a year ) I was amazed. I've seen Ed Parker move, as young guy on film and later when he was older...and I have to say Bruce was better...he knew how to apply the art and was amazing to watch when he did it. When he was doing technique based on his Chinese Kempo background...his arms were like they were spring loaded and he was in complete control of his attacker...you had to see it...

Both Roland and Bruce brought in experience from other arts to our training as well. Roland and our other instructor Dan Pauley trained with a man named Dennis Decker...He had been a long time student of Shotokan and Judo, back in the 60s and 70s and he made the tranistion to Kung Fu in a way I haven't seen other hard stylists from shotokan manage...more later...

ShazamKenpo

White Belt
Reaction score
The reason I like Kenpo, is I like that there is a whole wealth of knowledge that goes into art itself. Because Kenpo is a "newer" art based on influences of other styles there tends to be a more "scientific" approach and not one tied so much to tradition. That is not to say all traditional arts are bad or inferior, not the case I believe one needs to find his/her own path(s) for myself I like the study that has gone into the Kenpo style and techniques.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
so heres a question, science? wheres the science? can someone give me some examples. well thought out answers would be good with links for the reference material.
and before anyone starts gettting their panties in a knot, i have a 3rd degree black belt in kenpo and taught it for some time. i moved on and found other arts i like better, so i am not really a hater.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
im not a hater, was more poking fun at Bills short one line statement.
center line is not science and its not new. wing chun has used then center line and central line "methology" for a long time.

an example of science would be how the frontal cortex and the amlygdala and thalamus all interact in a self defense system and that the best defenses are done without the input from the frontal cortex.
Stress And The Brain: JaimeTartar at TEDxNSU - YouTube

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.realfighting.com/content.php?id=66

"Once adrenaline kicks in, it will likely reinforce your initial response. If you are frozen, you might find it even harder to break out of it and take action. This is especially likely if you are overwhelmed by an unfamiliar adrenaline surge and misinterpret the feelings associated with it as fear or panic. "

so this is the science of the adrenal system, does your martial art take into consideration the effects of the "chemical cocktail" that will be surging in your system? if so how do you trian for it? what techniques will not work under these stressors and how do you compensate for it?

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Science is a body of knowledge (martial art) that can be rationally explained (by a good instructor) and reliably applied (it works the way it was explained).

The science is everywhere, but, like any other discipline, is dependent on the skill of the scientist when applied.

Dave Hopper

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i dont even care if it is a "slap art" people call it scientific. i just dont see it. i think thats something Ed Parker said back in the 60"s to make it sound like its something new and better and people have been regurgitating that saying ever since. to be honest the older styles can be more scientific they just dont say it like that. i think calling kenpo scientific was a way for parker to combat the negative attitudes associated with a hodgpodge art that has no "correct linage". Parker himself said Mitose was a poor martial artist and that he was not impressed by him. so if Mitose was the seed of the art then mixed in with a little Chow and this and that how else was he suposed to market it. but its a modern art you say... really? you stand in a horse stance, doing borrowed forms from other styles, doing the same strikes and kicks every other art uses, same wrist controlls same takedowns,,, geez its just the same ol' same ol'
the thing is i really like the idea of kenpo its just that the results more often then not fall very short of the promise.
"use what is usefull and discard the rest" I LOVE THIS SAYING!! this is something i live by but it only applies to Parker, Cerio and Villari. i challenge anyone to go into their school and tell the teacher that you feel these forms your learning are a waste of time and therefore under Parkers guidlines you have decided your not going to do them anymore and replace the techniques you have been shown with new ones.
little conflict of interest ? how can you discard something as not usefull and still maintain the integrity of an art? if Ed Parker taught you something useless could you discard it? would the testing board accept your conclusions?

"use what is usefull and discard the rest".....so i discarded kenpo :)

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dave you are correct.
Science - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i really shouldnt be jumping all over kenpo, (i really didnt mean to) most other arts are guilty to the same degree. i am just venting my grievences against martial arts in general and it just so happens that kenpo is an art i spent many years doing.

my grievence is that proponents of martial arts claim certain things and cannot meet the claims made.
" rationally explained and reliably applied " great claim but this is an assumption. kenpos abilty to be put into use and used effectively is an assumption and one with a huge bias and a self promoting tone. the kiss of death to all arts is the "assumption".
one assumes because you study a martial art you will be an effective fighter. one thing does not equal the other. all i want is a little honesty. all i want is one art ,just one to fess up and say no we wont really make you a good fighter but its a lot of fun to work out and its good for your health and youll meet lots of other great people, but fighting no were not so good for that.

Latest Discussions