I Know We Like to Moan and Complain But ...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
19. “My fiance and I requested twin-beds when we booked, but instead we were placed in a room with a king bed. We now hold you responsible and want to be re-reimbursed for the fact that I became pregnant. This would not have happened if you had put us in the room that we booked.”

sane people read these complaints and are certain these are made up....then you meet people like that!

:lfao:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually, I have several experiences like that. I mean, New York was totally overrun with Americans and England was full of bloody Poms. In fact the only place I've been that wasn't overrun with people was Antarctica and the bloody penguins were totally out of control, what with pooping all over the paths and like. You'd think there would be someone there to keep the place clean. I doubt I'll bother going on holidays ever again. There's disappointment around every corner!
:idunno:

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who would have thought that being an ugly American would become contagious?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I went on a vacation to the beach Playa de las Catedrales, which was too sandy and they did not have swimsuits and towels available for usthere. And THEN we find out there are fish in the water which scared our children and when we tried to complain absolutely no one understood us because they all spoke Spanish and then my flight home took me almost 7 hours while people who live in Spain did not have to drive anywhere near as far, which is very unfair. And lastly I requested a room with twin beds and you gave me a king size bed and now when I get home I will have to invest in a new bed because I really like the bigger bed and I only have twin beds at home. I feel that you should have warned me about all of this and I should be given a refund if for no other reason than to cover the cost of the new bed I will now have to buy :uhyeah:

Also I went to China and not only were all the cab drivers Chinese but just about everyone else there was too, I mean the parks were absolutely loaded with Chinese people and the majority of the places I went...I was not only the ONLY America I was the only Blond....and no one told me about that...I should have complained I guess :uhyeah:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oooh I so needed that. We're coming up on our high holiday for foliage which means we are about to be overrun by Americans and Québécois...for 3 days!!!

(its Columbus Day weekend for the US, and Thanksgiving in Canada)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Oooh I so needed that. We're coming up on our high holiday for foliage which means we are about to be overrun by Americans and Québécois...for 3 days!!!

(its Columbus Day weekend for the US, and Thanksgiving in Canada)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I went to see the foliage and Carol Broke my Maglite, you did not tell me that I should not allow Carol to get anywhere near my Maglite :D

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I went to see the foliage and Carol Broke my Maglite, you did not tell me that I should not allow Carol to get anywhere near my Maglite :D

And what foliage where you attempting to view with a Maglite?:tantrum:

MartialMellow

Green Belt
Reaction score
Actually, I have several experiences like that. I mean, New York was totally overrun with Americans and England was full of bloody Poms. In fact the only place I've been that wasn't overrun with people was Antarctica and the bloody penguins were totally out of control, what with pooping all over the paths and like. You'd think there would be someone there to keep the place clean. I doubt I'll bother going on holidays ever again. There's disappointment around every corner!
:idunno:
POMS???:hmm:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
POMS???:hmm:

Australian's affectionate term for our English friends. :)

Pommy or Pom

The term pommy, pom or pommie, in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa usually denotes a person of mainly English heritage or origin, less commonly British in general. It was ruled not offensive in 2006 by the Australian Advertising Standards Board and in 2010 by the New Zealand Broadcasting Standards Authority. The community group British People Against Racial Discrimination were among those who complained to the Advertising Standards Board about five advertisements poking fun at "Poms", prompting the 2006 decision.
There are several folk etymologies for "Pom," some of which are false etymologies. For example, there are rumors that the word's etymology is related to prisoners, such as "Prisoner of Millbank," but this claim is suspect. A more likely theory is that pommy originated as a contraction of "pomegranate". According to this explanation, "pomegranate" is extinct Australian rhyming slang for immigrant. A popular alternative explanation for the theory that pommy is a contraction of "pomegranate", relates to the purported frequency of sunburn among British people in Australia, turning their fair skin the colour of pomegranates. However, there is no hard evidence for the theory regarding sunburn. Another false explanation was that it derived from acronyms such as P.O.M.E. for Prisoner of Mother England and P.O.H.M.S. Prisoner Of Her Majesty's Service. However, there is no evidence that these terms, or their acronyms, existed. An alternative origin of the term is that it derives from the word "pompous".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_names_for_the_British
Australians also like to used the term 'bastard' in an affectionate way. To put that into context we might have a friend that has done something wrong and we might say; "what did you do that for you silly bastard?" So it is with the English, with the utmost respect and civility, we often refer to them as "Pommy Bastards". ;)
<goes into hiding from Suk&#8203;>

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Linguistic differences can be most entertaining.

Latest Discussions