I joined Black Belt Club

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know many have a bad taste in their mouth about Black Belt Clubs (BBC) for various reasons.

I had a one-year contract. BBC extends my contract another 3 years. My tuition is locked in. I already have a good deal as my tuition is about 60% less than my daughter's (additional family member deal). If I move or have a medical condition that prohibits training, the contract is void.

Our school is not a McDojang. It is possible to acquire a Black Belt in 3-1/2 - 4 years with a lot of hard work in our school...not one year; I've heard the stories about schools cranking out black belts in a year. I don't know if that's true. Hope not.

If I pass all of my spotlights, midterms and tests, I will be at 6th gup, first level of green belt in our school, in a little less than a year's time from my enrollment (approximately 10 months - 2 months at white belt; 2 months at yellow belt; 6 months at orange belt). It is not a fast course. And people do fail their spotlights, midterms, and tests.

In our school, BBC is not an "elite" club within the school. I don't think that the philosophy of Moo Duk Kwan would support "elitism."

There are perks though. One can train as often as they like. That's what I am after, training three times a week versus two. BBC is the cheapest way to do that and since I plan on getting my black belt, why not? I love training. And I can use the physical exercise.

Other perks are the activities and events held during BBC week. I'm interested in learning the higher forms, the Chil-Sung forms. I could even complete and do a Chil-Sung form versus a form at my current level if I choose to compete.

Eh...we learn shoulder rolls, somersaults, barrel rolls, and one-hand stands, etc. I'll probably stink at those but it will be fun to try. To be honest, I'm not so sure I'm interested in the acrobatics. I have an inner ear problem and a mental block to go with it.

There are special clinics such as board-breaking clinics. Also, BBC members are allowed to attend sparring-only classes.

Does that sound like a bad deal to you?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does that sound like a bad deal to you?

If you're happy with it, then it's not a bad deal for you. However, that doesn't mean it's a good deal for everyone, and honestly, it's not going to be the right choice for everyone. Realistically, I understand that the dojang has to make money, and I don't have a problem with them charging extra for extra training, but I have a problem with any system that prevents people from additional experiences unless they sign a contract.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you're happy with it, then it's not a bad deal for you. However, that doesn't mean it's a good deal for everyone, and honestly, it's not going to be the right choice for everyone. Realistically, I understand that the dojang has to make money, and I don't have a problem with them charging extra for extra training, but I have a problem with any system that prevents people from additional experiences unless they sign a contract.
Well, I agree with you on the additional experiences part. Also, I'm not too keen on contracts but that's the way of our school.

To be honest, I think that BBC might take away from regular class training. What I mean is one week out of the month, one might be practicing shoulder rolls and the 7-Star Chinese form but maybe they need to be practicing their wrist grips and one-step hand combinations, forms, etc. Then again, maybe that's where the dedication to training comes in. But then I am not the master, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about. ;)

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
At our school the BBC doesn't get you into any activities that anyone else can't get into (with one exception - at our Anniversary each year the BBC members arrive 30 minutes early for a Champagne Reception).

But it does get you:
- access to any and all scheduled classes (regular contrct is 2 hours per week, with BBC you can get 6)
- no more monthly payments
- up to 4 hours of FREE private lessons per month
- a unique patch

So for a one-time rate you get free training until you reach Black. And you can get a lot more training each month. It costs about the equivalent of 40 months regualr tuition, but if you factor in the increased hours per week and the free privates, it seems to be a very economical way to get to Black.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

This is how I feel. If you made a good deal for you, that's great! But, what you see as extra for you, I see as others possibly being deprived of the full art (e.g., "learning the higher forms" or "board-breaking clinics").

I'm fine with charging more, or differently, for those willing to pay it. But, I'm still so-so on the idea of a BBC in most cases.

I visited a BJJ school where the BBC just gave extra supervised grappling time. That made sense to me (similar to like what DavidCC describes). At others it gives seminars unrelated to the main art. I'm OK with that. As long as it's more of the same or outside the main art, I see no issues.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lynn if you are happy so be it, for me no way. I own a school and would never ask anybody join a BBC, at my school we all strive to be a BB one day and I keep my students at the same rate month to month for as long as they train. I have some that pay 25.00 because when they started with me that was the going rate. No need to charge more for folks that stay with you year after year.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
At our school the BBC doesn't get you into any activities that anyone else can't get into (with one exception - at our Anniversary each year the BBC members arrive 30 minutes early for a Champagne Reception).

But it does get you:
- access to any and all scheduled classes (regular contrct is 2 hours per week, with BBC you can get 6)
- a unique patch

So for a one-time rate you get free training until you reach Black. And you can get a lot more training each month. It costs about the equivalent of 40 months regualr tuition, but if you factor in the increased hours per week and the free privates, it seems to be a very economical way to get to Black.

Wow - your BBC sounds like a very good deal.

For my daughter, I still have to pay the monthly fees. Then, there are the registration fees for each year. We get a patch, too - not sure that's a benefit, lol.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score

But it does get you:
- a unique patch

Wow - your BBC is definitely a good deal.

I still have to pay monthly tuition for my daughter and all of the yearly registration fees. It is expensive...

Double post - sorry about that. My computer is running slow.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is how I feel. If you made a good deal for you, that's great! But, what you see as extra for you, I see as others possibly being deprived of the full art (e.g., "learning the higher forms" or "board-breaking clinics").

I'm fine with charging more, or differently, for those willing to pay it. But, I'm still so-so on the idea of a BBC in most cases.

I visited a BJJ school where the BBC just gave extra supervised grappling time. That made sense to me (similar to like what DavidCC describes). At others it gives seminars unrelated to the main art. I'm OK with that. As long as it's more of the same or outside the main art, I see no issues.
I was disappointed that I couldn't attend the boark-breaking clinic. After all, to pass the test for 6th gup, we have to break a board. Board-breaking would benefit anyone, including white belts. You learn balance, control, aiming. It's nice for confidence boosting as well. I don't know if board-breaking clinics are offered to the entire school at any point.

As far as the higher forms, sure, a forms seminar would be great for the entire school.

We are having a stave workshop for the entire school and it's free. We are also having an Olympic-style sparring clinic for our school which is free. So, our owner does offer free seminars and clinics.

Once again, though, when BBC members are practicing these techniques during BBC week, they aren't working on their regular class stuff. So, I think there's a tradeoff that some people aren't aware of. One week of irregular class work could make the difference in passing/failing a spotlight, I think.

Mainly, for myself, I'm interested in the extra training. If I have to pay for it w/o the benefit of BBC, I believe it would be $30 more a month. Yes, the instruction is worth it but I just can't afford it.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lynn if you are happy so be it, for me no way. I own a school and would never ask anybody join a BBC, at my school we all strive to be a BB one day and I keep my students at the same rate month to month for as long as they train. I have some that pay 25.00 because when they started with me that was the going rate. No need to charge more for folks that stay with you year after year.
I like your philosophy :)

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
A four year contract?! Jesus, I thought the cell phone company lock-ins were bad...

it's only bad if it's bad for the person involved. what's good for you just might be piss poor for someone else.

to each his own.

good luck with the program Lynne.

cheers!

F

foggymorning162

Our school charges an extra monthly fee for the BBC and you get an extra TSD class per week, 1 Jujitsu class a week and one weapons class a week plus 5% discount on special orders (gear and stuff) and occasional seminars (non TSD) We also don't do contracts and are locked in at the rate we paid when we started. Still it's not for everyone as long as your happy with it thats all that matters:).

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our school charges an extra monthly fee for the BBC and you get an extra TSD class per week, 1 Jujitsu class a week and one weapons class a week plus 5% discount on special orders (gear and stuff) and occasional seminars (non TSD) We also don't do contracts and are locked in at the rate we paid when we started. Still it's not for everyone as long as your happy with it thats all that matters:).
We get a 10% discount on merchandise - I forgot about that. There isn't a fee for BBC though. I don't think we get any $$ off of seminars though (probably because we are paying instructors outside of the school).

It's good you are locked in at the rate you started. It's nice you get an extra TSD class per week.

I could go 6 days of the week and twice some days if I were dumb enough.

Do you have a registration fee? Not asking how much just if you do.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
it's only bad if it's bad for the person involved. what's good for you just might be piss poor for someone else.

to each his own.

good luck with the program Lynne.

cheers!
Thanks, Sapper. It is good for me, more training! And it doesn't cost anything extra. It does mean a commitment to get my black belt.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A four year contract?! Jesus, I thought the cell phone company lock-ins were bad...
Some people really frown upon the contracts.

Excluding the BBC, people can sign up for either a 6 month program or a one-year program, attending once a week or twice a week. I signed a one-year contract initially. The six month program is not a smart way to go. If you really love it and want to continue, you'd have to pay another registration fee for the next 6 months. Paying two six-month registration fees is $XXX.XX more than paying a 12-month registration fee. Then there is the monthly tuition.

I plan to get my black belt, so it's a deal for me.

I don't know if they have a trial program where you wouldn't have to pay the registration fees and all. I do know they will let people take several free trial classes though.

It is a business. The owner is running two sites and he has instructors to pay. The facility I train in is 20,000 square feet. We have two Dojangs, one is 4500 square feet, the other is 5000 square feet. There is also a fitness center. Heating, air conditioning, taxes...other overhead.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some people really frown upon the contracts.

I understand all the rationales, and the reason why you have chosen your course given the realities of the school you train at. My point is, that is not a consumer-friendly way to structure things where a 4 year contract is involved. Also, the class numbers seem pretty low for the standard contract - 1 or 2 a week. At my school, although you can get a discount by purchasing tuition in advance, the number of classes is unlimited. Indeed, the head of my school considers 2 classes a week a minimum number for decent learning. It seems to me like you guys are getting screwed. There should be other good schools in the area that can offer you what you want without the inflexibility.

After all, things change unexpectedly. After 2 years, you might decide that you would like to try another art - too bad. Your instructor could change the way things are done at your school so it is no longer a good experience - too bad. A bunch of jerks could sign up and make every class miserable - too bad. Life changes unexpectedly, and a four year lock-in has the potential to screw you over badly, no matter how good things are now.

That said, best of luck of course - I hope everything turns out perfectly for you over the next 4 years.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I understand all the rationales, and the reason why you have chosen your course given the realities of the school you train at. My point is, that is not a consumer-friendly way to structure things where a 4 year contract is involved. Also, the class numbers seem pretty low for the standard contract - 1 or 2 a week. At my school, although you can get a discount by purchasing tuition in advance, the number of classes is unlimited. Indeed, the head of my school considers 2 classes a week a minimum number for decent learning. It seems to me like you guys are getting screwed. There should be other good schools in the area that can offer you what you want without the inflexibility.

After all, things change unexpectedly. After 2 years, you might decide that you would like to try another art - too bad. Your instructor could change the way things are done at your school so it is no longer a good experience - too bad. A bunch of jerks could sign up and make every class miserable - too bad. Life changes unexpectedly, and a four year lock-in has the potential to screw you over badly, no matter how good things are now.

That said, best of luck of course - I hope everything turns out perfectly for you over the next 4 years.
Oh, I wish we did have unlimited classes. I think one stinks, two is much better, and three is great. Three+ is not an option unless one joins BBC or pays an extra amount monthly.

I do agree that long contracts are not consumer-friendly. I think a lot of people are turned off by contracts and walk out the door.

Good grief, it would be a bad turn of events if any of the scenarios take place that you spoke of.

However, I believe our Master to be an honorable man. I know he isn't going to put up with any bull such as unruly/dangerous people.

I'm not an experienced martial artist, so I don't know how the teaching scenario might change. Good point though! Something to think about.

It things go south, I am not afraid to say something...without pointing fingers.

I'm placing my faith in the philosophy of Moo Duk Kwan which some might consider naieve.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All contracts can be broken. Some contracts are just more tedious to break than others ;)

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All contracts can be broken. Some contracts are just more tedious to break than others ;)
If something were amiss with the school, an issue I felt was a moral or integrity issue, then I would break my contract with a clear conscience because I would feel the school had been dishonest or disingenuous.

Latest Discussions