i have braces,and we start sparring in next week

Harley_Ninja237

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I got a mouthpiece for braces (cost freaking $20!!) but its only the top.it didnt come with the bottom so i assume its not necessary...
my friend take regular boxing and wears the $5 mouthpiece top only and says hes fine...
my coach said i need to fit in (even though the box says no fitting required) and need a bottom one

my question is do i really need to spend an extra $20 or $5 for a bottom mouthpice...i really dont want to even though its only $5 best case sceneraio...
but if i have to i will cuz if i brake my braces itll be even more expensive lol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have braces too. If your coach says you need both, then you have to get both. Good luck with the sparring! :)

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the coach says get one, then you need to get one. At the very least it will make you want to move your head a bit faster, to avoid getting hit in the grill.

OP
H

Harley_Ninja237

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have braces too. If your coach says you need both, then you have to get both. Good luck with the sparring! :)

i guess i have no choice but to buy an extra pair
most people (even with braces) use one and are fine...
but id better be on the safe side

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i guess i have no choice but to buy an extra pair
most people (even with braces) use one and are fine...
but id better be on the safe side

Safe is good but its also following the directions of your kru, who gets to set the rules. :)

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Coming from someone who works in the Dental field and who had Braces as a kid. If you are going to get hit in the face wear mouth pieces!!
1. For you the braces can cut open your mouth easier 2. For you or insurance fixing braces can be expensiveand take longer to correct the problem one alternative that is recent besides using the metal cememented braces is called Invisaline which are mouthguard like braces wore similar to a Retainer.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The best thing to do would be to talk to your dentist/orthodontist. My dentist custom fits mouthguards for patients who are in contact sports.

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to get a double mouthgaurd for braces. You don't want the braces cutting your mouth and lips if you get hit.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wish someone had forced me to wear protection when I was a kid with braces. It would have saved me alot of cut lips, lol. My teeth were fine but my lips took a beating. Unfortunately at 15 years old I was the only junior in the training hall under 18. My instructors and fellow students told me "to be a man"
icon11.gif

Of course that was years ago and things are different now. So, please, take all the good advice given so far and protect yourself.

OP
H

Harley_Ninja237

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I wish someone had forced me to wear protection when I was a kid with braces. It would have saved me alot of cut lips, lol. My teeth were fine but my lips took a beating. Unfortunately at 15 years old I was the only junior in the training hall under 18. My instructors and fellow students told me "to be a man"
icon11.gif

Of course that was years ago and things are different now. So, please, take all the good advice given so far and protect yourself.

i dont care about getting cuts on my lips
i care about breaking my braces cuz theyre expensive lol

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i dont care about getting cuts on my lips
i care about breaking my braces cuz theyre expensive lol
You can't just tuck a second mouthpiece in upside down... That ain't gonna work, it ain't gonna be comfortable, and you'll feel really silly.

I'd also read the directions on the mouthpiece; it'll tell you how much fitting it needs.

Why not talk to your orthodontist? I bet if he doesn't make mouthpieces, he can refer you or recommend one for you.

Latest Discussions