I have a question...

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Much like the title says, I have a question.

But, here is the back story (whic is REALLY important, otherwise you'll be confused): Someone in my TKD class asked me if I was a cheerleader in high school. BTW, I am not a cheerleader nor have I ever been one-- I'm more of a geeky metalhead in Tommy Hilfiger. I asked him what made him think I was a cheerleader, but I never got a response.

So, my question is: what about me screams "I am a cheerleader"?

You can visit my MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/starchild317

I'd REALLY like to know, because I was slightly insulted.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Much like the title says, I have a question.

But, here is the back story (whic is REALLY important, otherwise you'll be confused): Someone in my TKD class asked me if I was a cheerleader in high school. BTW, I am not a cheerleader nor have I ever been one-- I'm more of a geeky metalhead in Tommy Hilfiger. I asked him what made him think I was a cheerleader, but I never got a response.

You can visit my MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/starchild317

I'd REALLY like to know, because I was slightly insulted.

I don't see it and my stepdaughter's( different marrages) were both cheerleaders..

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wonder if he saw you kick, or jump, or some other cheerleaderish motion and wondered if a cheerleading background was the secret to your impressive prowess.....

That's definitely what I'd keep saying to myself if it had been me.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think he thought he was paying you a complement and not for you to take it as an insult. He was giving you a line and a conversation starter, but it sounds like he failed on the follow through.

I've used the ol' "were you a cheerleader" line before. ;)

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did it work???

We've been married for 17 years. So whether it worked (assuming worked for the better) or not may depend on your perception. :)

I think so. I hope she does too.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've been married for 17 years. So whether it worked (assuming worked for the better) or not may depend on your perception. :)

I think so. I hope she does too.

So you married the girl you used that line on.. Outstanding...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw nothing butthen again maybe your kick and limberness dictrates that you could have been one.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Well! This certainly is a sneaky way to get a lot of people to look at your myspace.com profile! :ultracool

Don't be insulted by the other student's question, because it is the intent of the comment that makes it an insult or not. Most guys will ask you if you are a cheerleader because they think you are cute, and that you could have been a cheerleader. They might see you do the splits and think "cheerleader!," or you just might be a "peppy - cheery" kind of person that motivates others.

Either way, while you certainly could have been a cheerleader, I see nothing in your pics that "screams" CHEERLEADER! But I do like your choice of Taekwondo Dobok here. Are those some sort of ancient Martial Art weapons you're holding?

Attachments

• $Bookworm.jpg
    $Bookworm.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 120

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cheerleaders were always the pretty, bubbly girls full of spirit. Maybe that's what he's seeing and that's why he asked.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I concur with those gentlemen above who have suggested that the fellow was attempting to pay you a compliment of sorts by intimating that you were both pretty enough and flexible enough to have been a cheerleeder.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above. TKD requires an unusual degree of acrobatic balance and flexibility for its `signature' moves—the high thrusting side kick and turning kick, to say nothing of the actual aerial kicks—and it's not that common for even athletic younger people to have that degree of dynamic flexibility unless they do something like gymnastics or cheerleading (or, of course, TKD itself...) So maybe he saw you doing something along those lines and figured there might be a reason why you were so agile... ? And possibly he thought it might be a good conversation starter...

I wouldn't look for negative intent or anything that reflected negatively on you.

Latest Discussions