i got 2 questions could some one help me

T

thatoneguy

hello
thanks for atleast looking at this
here are my questions
1)Does any one no a good place to go to study ninjutsu near Dayton Ohio or any where in Ohio.
2)Are there any expandable staves if that makes any sense.

OP
D

Dennis_Mahon

You're talking about something like a "Minbari battle pike" from B5, or like a "forcelance" from Andromeda, right? As far as I know, the expanding and collapsing of the weapons are achieved through CGI- the weapons themselves didn't change length.

Still, it would be a cool weapon if it could be built.:cool:

OP
M

Makoto-Dojo

Originally posted by thatoneguy

hello
thanks for atleast looking at this
here are my questions
1)Does any one no a good place to go to study ninjutsu near Dayton Ohio or any where in Ohio.

I am in Cleveland and so far the only Genbukan Dojo in Ohio. If your interested in Genbukan style training contact me at my e-mail addy. If your into Bujinkan style then your in the right place in Dayton! Lot's of good teachers down there.

Good luck!

OP
T

thatoneguy

thanks for all your help every one
but what makes the styles so different

by the way this is for a friend of mine i already have a style(wing chun)

OP
M

Makoto-Dojo

Originally posted by thatoneguy

thanks for all your help every one
but what makes the styles so different

by the way this is for a friend of mine i already have a style(wing chun)

That's a long and involved answer, but to cut it short. One thing is a gaurantee of quality in Genbukan training. There are strict tests that are standard the world over.

Next, is Bujinkan is Hatsumi.S creation inspiried by what he learned from Takamatsu Sensei. It is about HIS revelations and creations.

Genbukan teaches true to what has been handed down. Tanemura Sensei will show you things beyond that of course. he will teach from his experience, but he does not confuse that with the traditional teachings. In the Bujinkan, you never know if what you are learning is an actual teaching passed down from Takamatsu, a creation of Hatsumi S. or a creation of the person teaching you.

Listen, the best bet is this. If anyone wants to know the difference all it takes is one class. It is night and day in so many ways. depending on what your after you will choose one or the other.

Good luck.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pardon me if i'm wrong, but hasn't innovation and evolution and adaptation ALWAYS been a part of ninpo training?? Weren't the ancient ninja creatures of their environment, adapting and flowing to the situation as they needed? Do you think the men and women that originally developed ninpo were simply doing what 'tradition' says, what they were 'taught to do'??? No, of course not.

You are demeaning Hatsumi-san for personalizing the art and making it his own and i was under the impression that was what you are SUPPOSED to do! Are not the highest martial arts concerned with creative and spontaneous SELF-expression, the mark of 'formlesness' and 'emptiness' and 'no-mind'????

I had always thought that the highest goal of the true martial arts was to directly express your own spirit through the physical medium, NOT to express your 'tradition' or 'form' or 'kata'.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
M

Makoto-Dojo

Originally posted by heretic888

Pardon me if i'm wrong, but hasn't innovation and evolution and adaptation ALWAYS been a part of ninpo training?? Weren't the ancient ninja creatures of their environment, adapting and flowing to the situation as they needed? Do you think the men and women that originally developed ninpo were simply doing what 'tradition' says, what they were 'taught to do'??? No, of course not.

You are demeaning Hatsumi-san for personalizing the art and making it his own and i was under the impression that was what you are SUPPOSED to do! Are not the highest martial arts concerned with creative and spontaneous SELF-expression, the mark of 'formlesness' and 'emptiness' and 'no-mind'????

I had always thought that the highest goal of the true martial arts was to directly express your own spirit through the physical medium, NOT to express your 'tradition' or 'form' or 'kata'.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I will assume you mis-understood my post.

Yes you are supposed to make the art your own. I belive I said that clearly with:
Tanemura Sensei will show you things beyond that of course. he will teach from his experience, but he does not confuse that with the traditional teachings.

I am not demaning Hatsumi S. at all by stating what I did. I am telling the truth. You are making the judgement. As long as you know what you get in the Bujinkan is one mans inovation and your fine with that. Then be happy.

However, I and others prefer to learn the basics as they were intended to be passed down and from THAt base creat our own expression of the art.

Can you see the difference? In one we have a man creating on the spot and telling you what you are learning is the art. What it IS is HIS expression of the art. That is what you are learning.

On the other hand you have a man teaching the art as it was laid out to be taught according to Takamatsu Sensei. And from there, he will also say, this is how you can make it your own. But he does not confuse the two.

It all boils down to what you wish to do. Don't be so defensive, be happy ;)

Regards,

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
On the other hand you have a man teaching the art as it was laid out to be taught according to Takamatsu Sensei.

I dont mean to be rude here, but Tanemura NEVER trained with Takamatsu in depth so I SINCERELY doubt he would know what the man 'passed on' any better than Hatsumi.

Besides, what makes you think Takamatsu did not just pass on HIS personal expression of ninpo???

To paraphrase Shidoshi Glenn Morris: "Hatsumi-san's laissez-faire management style is more Darwinian than supportive."

Regardless, I do agree that it all depends on the individual's preferences. Some people like the Genbukan style of teaching better, other like the Bujinkan style, and others like other stuff.... do your own thing, I always say.

OP
M

Makoto-Dojo

Originally posted by heretic888

I dont mean to be rude here, but Tanemura NEVER trained with Takamatsu in depth so I SINCERELY doubt he would know what the man 'passed on' any better than Hatsumi.

Besides, what makes you think Takamatsu did not just pass on HIS personal expression of ninpo???

To paraphrase Shidoshi Glenn Morris: "Hatsumi-san's laissez-faire management style is more Darwinian than supportive."

Regardless, I do agree that it all depends on the individual's preferences. Some people like the Genbukan style of teaching better, other like the Bujinkan style, and others like other stuff.... do your own thing, I always say.

What was passed on was in densho and makimono written by the hand of Takamatsu Sensei. That's #1.

#2 Kimura Sensei, Sato Sensei, Hatsumi Sensei, Fukumoto Sensei, Akimoto San, and others ALL told Tanemura Sensei over many years how the training was with Takamatsu Sensei.

#3 Hatsumi S. HIMSELF says that he is teaching Hatsumi Ha.

I too don't intend to be rude, but how much actual experience do you have in these arts. How long have you trained and with whom?

The reason I ask is because there are many "inside" truths you seem unaware of. It appears you have gotten most information from boards and books.

Regards,

OP
L

Limeydog

An Shu Hayes has a Quest center in Dayton Ohio. You can find details here

www.skhquest.com

He teaches a modern adaptation on ninjutsu called Toshindo. Check it out.

Regards

Patrick

OP
J

jibran

He also teaches Bujinkan at his dojo; highly recommended!!! I train via long-distance.

ninhito

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Are there any bujinkan ninjutsu places in/ near Detroit, Michigan?

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey thanks Technopunk. That website was really helpfull. I am into To-Shin Do and I just found out that there is a Buj dojo in Chattanooga, TN. That is where I am moving next year. I know they are different from To-Shin Do, but maybe I can do a little cross-training. Thanks again man.

Latest Discussions