I don't get it...

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Having trained with a small number of those folks, I consider them friends. Again, who wouldn't help their friends.

What bothers me most, is not actually being given the opportunity to physically demonstrate. There was zero interest.

For me, if I met any of you, I would at least humor you; and let you demonstrate.

I appreciate the candidnace, from this group; strangers tell you like it is.

Later...

Candidly, if I got an email from someone saying "I used to train at the school you train at, and what you're learning is junk, I want to physically demonstrate"...I wouldn't respond either. Especially if it was a mass email to everyone at the school, not a personal message to just people the email-sender actually knew. Depending on how it was phrased, I'd consider it somewhere between "overaggressive marketing" and "kinda creepy."

I don't know you or your former school and can't judge the quality of either. But I don't think that email was the best card you could have played.

If you want more meaningful feedback, you should describe what you mean by "not being taught properly," you giving the school a chance to "refers itself," and what precisely you were offering when you talked about a physical demonstration (a demo class at your own school? A fight in a park? What?)

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You think?
All the time you should try it sometime....

Lol don't worry I'm not actually insulting you it's a quote from a book before a fight scene and I've wanted to use it since I read it lol. @Buka should get the reference lol

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All the time you should try it sometime....

Lol don't worry I'm not actually insulting you it's a quote from a book before a fight scene and I've wanted to use it since I read it lol. @Buka should get the reference lol
Reminds me of something my whacked out calculus professor said to a classmate...

Student, raising his hand: Umm stupid question...

Teacher: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. (With a funny looking grin on his face) What’s your question?

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm a little unclear on one thing -

You said you left the school you trained at. You said one of the teachers opened a school but it closed. Does that mean the original school is still open? If so AND if the students of the now closed school were students of the school the teacher (and you) left, then it seems they would naturally gravitate back to the school they came from which kinda means you're poaching (albeit unsuccessfully).

Btw - you could be 100% correct. Their school might be crap, yours might be amazing, but your delivery is jacked up and will generate nothing except animosity and possibly even challenges. I try to be level headed but if someone left my school then told me they were learning at a good place while I was being taught incorrectly, I might be inclined to request a demonstration of how much their training out classed mine. I'm not the only guy who tends to think that way, either, so be ready for it.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If I had a student tell met that he met another teacher who he wanted to train with, but before he left he wanted to offer me an opportunity to redeem myself...

I can't even get my brain around that. I do agree with you, though - you don't get it.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If I had a student tell met that he met another teacher who he wanted to train with, but before he left he wanted to offer me an opportunity to redeem myself...

I can't even get my brain around that. I do agree with you, though - you don't get it.
Do I rate this as agree, like, or funny?

Perhaps tragically correct would work.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am a little confused on what exactly you are trying to convey. From what I understand, if someone doesn't listen to you, whether you are right or wrong, shouldn't be of your concern. If they listen, then good for you, if they don't then it is a loss for them.

I wish it worked this way where I work. Customer puts in ticket requesting help. I give them advice. They reject my advice.

It is at this point I wish I could close the ticket with "customer rejected my advice" and move on. Unfortunately I can't, and I have to convince them that - even though I'm the expert and they requested my help - they should listen to me.

Latest Discussions