I Am A Math God

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It was then that I knew what it must be like to be a god among mortals. On a planet peopled entirely by her kind, I would be the Math God, adored by all as the bringer of Gnostic wisdom lost to the Ancients. I would tell them how to turn lead into gold. I would teach them how to store lightning in cylindrical devices called batteries. I would encourage them to use their heads and save their feet. I would exhort them to measure twice and cut once. I would show them how to divide whole numbers in their heads.

I Am A Math God: Read The Column

C

Chuck

Right on! I am also a math god (small g). Not only can I compute half off coupons in my head, but I can calculate tips of 10, 15 and 20 % without a calculator.

As a surveyor I used to compute slope runout on the fly in my head, but all us "old, muddy boot" surveyors could do that.

I had not realized the "shock and awe" this could produce.

J

Jill666

I have never been good at math, and become hopelessly confused by simple algebra. However, I can calculate how much each person at the table pays the waitress, complete with tip calculation no matter how drunk I am.

I'm not good at math, but I am quite good at money.

What I hate is when the bill is 6.52 and I give 7.02 wanting more laundry quarters. It seems to be a terribly difficult thing to figure out the math of this.

Remember when we worked at a store as teens, and the register would go on the fritz? Every slip was done by hand, plus 5% sales tax. These days they'd have to close the store. :shrug:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was hired as a short order and pizza cook in college.

I was hired on a Tuesday, my Drawer was 100% correct.
It was this way until Friday. On Friday when I had others running the drawer for pop and ice cream, and when i was busy, well I would fix their mstakes as it was wrung in. They would call me during the sale or after and I would either void out or refund back to get the correct values. The owner had left a Manager key in the Cashier Drawer. Well I was off by $0.13. When I was told this I reached for money in my pocket. The owner said no I was over.
I went and asked the girls working with me on Friday if they were told to keep the change, and if it was big they pocketed, if it was a penny they threw it into the drawer. :D I was made Manager of the restaurant on Saturday :) I t pissed off all the other cooks and staff there a lot longer then me :D

:asian:

BS in Comp Sci Minor in Math :rofl:

Latest Discussions