Hunting - split from Kukri vs Machette

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well. Hogs can definitely be considered "Big Game".

27168_1408857068560_5189999_n.jpg

Woah, jeez louise. Some fat porkers there.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
O
So you don't think this includes trophy hunters?

"Ground-based feral pig hunting is considered by many to be good sport. and can be a useful control measure provided the shooting is carried out by experienced hunters."

Now i do agree that mowing them down from a helicopter is more effective. But are you suggesting that is more moral?

Trophy hunting only makes a small percentage of "ground based feral pig hunting." Again, trophy hunters are usually after big males, which is not a good method of population control. Hunters who are interested in meat will target any pig besides the big boars because they they generally taste better.

Helicopter hunting is usually only used in terms of species who are declared as "nuisance species" and is not considered sport hunting by the management agencies. The purpose of that type of hunting is to truly reduce the numbers of the populations.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Trophy hunting only makes a small percentage of "ground based feral pig hunting." Again, trophy hunters are usually after big males, which is not a good method of population control. Hunters who are interested in meat will target any pig besides the big boars because they they generally taste better.

Helicopter hunting is usually only used in terms of species who are declared as "nuisance species" and is not considered sport hunting by the management agencies. The purpose of that type of hunting is to truly reduce the numbers of the populations.

So you are suggesting trophy hunters are wrong because they are not killing enough animals?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most trophy hunts don't control population, most trophy hunts hunt the large males of the species, if you are actually trying to control the population of a species then you hunt females.

Trophy hunts aren't usually about disease control, I'd appreciate any evidence to contrary.
Trophy hunting can weaken the gene pool of the animal population. The strongest, healthiest males are taken out of the gene pool, leaving weaker, possibly less healthy males to breed and establish the next generations. And thus, the gene pool is weakened.

Anyone who believes trophy hunting has anything to do with responsible population control is lying to themselves. Or is simply a fool.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trophy hunting can weaken the gene pool of the animal population. The strongest, healthiest males are taken out of the gene pool, leaving weaker, possibly less healthy males to breed and establish the next generations. And thus, the gene pool is weakened.

Anyone who believes trophy hunting has anything to do with responsible population control is lying to themselves. Or is simply a fool.

A sublime answer. I completely agree with this :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
African game is viewed by the nations that host safaris as a resource-and one to be exploited. Exploited as long as people are willing to pay for the privilege of hunting them. It seems to me that those who have a beef with this sort of activity might do better aiming their rancor at the nations and organizations that promote and host such activities, and not towards those who choose-having been given that choice- to participate in it.
I think they all deserve our rancor. The nations and organizations who host the hunts, and the people willing to do them with the excuse that "it's allowed".

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nah-those are average size-just within "good meat" range (as they get bigger and more mature, they become less and less palatable in the wild,)

View attachment 19173

As near as I can tell, given a chance, they pretty much don't stop growing....:eek:
Are we certain that kid isn't just sitting about 20 feet behind the boar in order to, you know, make it look bigger?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
So you are suggesting trophy hunters are wrong because they are not killing enough animals?

I am suggesting that the common claim that they are helpful in population control is false. If you want to control the population you need to lower the number of breeding females by significant margins and this is something that trophy hunters do not do. So yes, they need to kill more to be effective to reach the goal of population control.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am suggesting that the common claim that they are helpful in population control is false. If you want to control the population you need to lower the number of breeding females by significant margins and this is something that trophy hunters do not do. So yes, they need to kill more to be effective to reach the goal of population control.

So if we get the trophy hunters just to kill a few extras you would be happier. Then just take the trophies from. The ones they want.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
yeah that is the problem with trophy hunters is they don't kill enough animals.

Doesn't sound a bit counter intuitive to you?

I am not sure you understand the issue. I don't have any problem with trophy hunters in feral pig populations, every method of control should be used, the problem I had was with the claim that trophy hunters are actually of much use in accomplishing the task.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am not sure you understand the issue. I don't have any problem with trophy hunters in feral pig populations, every method of control should be used, the problem I had was with the claim that trophy hunters are actually of much use in accomplishing the task.

Then you would have to show that trophy hunters really do only target large males.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then you would have to show that trophy hunters really do only target large males.

Now you're just being silly. This is about like saying "you would have to prove that the Patriots really do want to win the Superbowl".

Nobody goes trophy hunting with the intent of finding a small, scrawny, sickly, weak, mangy specimen.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
To reiterate "TROPHY hunting."

These guys aren't the targets of trophy hunters. If a trophy hunter shot these guys just because they were around he is liable to to spook off that big boar that he is hoping for. Pigs are smart animals and go away from the sound of gunfire.

Babcock-Ranch-Florida-Feral-Pigs.jpg