Hunting - split from Kukri vs Machette

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
then why kill?
This is way crazy.
Out of the hunting sphere which I have already answered above, in combat soldiers often find themselves having to kill as part of the bigger agenda either in self defence or proactive offense...the killing is unfortunately required but that does not mean they (or at least the far majority) "enjoy" it.
I am struggling to understand your question.

Are you saying that the only reason you should be doing any killing is because you find it enjoyable?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Huh? Huh?? Look I know you're an Aussie but...!! How am I to eat the stuff (deer/pig) or cull it (possum/rabbit) if I don't kill it? The idea of skinning or eating an animal while it is still alive, if that is what you are implying, is just too much for me...(again, I am not an Aussie though!)

hunt it let it go and eat a carrot like a civilized person.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hunt it let it go and eat a carrot like a civilized person.
Now that is where we will have to differ, I have a nagging fear regarding vegetarians, or civilised carrot-munchers, as you call them. If they are not meat eaters, what is their real agenda? I think there is something deeper to this than just not being carnivorous. The thought of not finding a beautiful steak appealing does trouble me somewhat... :)

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now that is where we will have to differ, I have a nagging fear regarding vegetarians, or civilised carrot-munchers, as you call them. If they are not meat eaters, what is their real agenda? I think there is something deeper to this than just not being carnivorous.

The truth is they are... Crab People!

latest

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The truth is they are... Crab People!

latest

??

I knew it!! I used to share a room (office(!!), not bedroom, uhum, just to be clear...) with one of those things. I think vegetarian-crab people may not eat other animals - but they are looking to harvest all us meat eaters when the time comes!!

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that is where we will have to differ, I have a nagging fear regarding vegetarians, or civilised carrot-munchers, as you call them. If they are not meat eaters, what is their real agenda? I think there is something deeper to this than just not being carnivorous. The thought of not finding a beautiful steak appealing does trouble me somewhat... :)

It is the Vegans that are the fanatics. The Veggies are just like the rest of us. For example my aunt eats fish. I did point out that fish suffer beyond suffering in death. She kinda shrugged, like we all do really.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is the Vegans that are the fanatics. The Veggies are just like the rest of us. For example my aunt eats fish. I did point out that fish suffer beyond suffering in death. She kinda shrugged, like we all do really.
What do you mean fish suffer? Is their death a particularly traumatic one when they are drowning out of water?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you mean fish suffer? Is their death a particularly traumatic one when they are drowning out of water?

Apparently so. I will try and find something to validate that. Although it could be an old wife's tale. I did hear it from a commercial fisherman where I work.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apparently so. I will try and find something to validate that. Although it could be an old wife's tale. I did hear it from a commercial fisherman where I work.

When fishing I always give the fishies I catch a merciful knife thru the head rather than letting them flop about suffocating. They deserve a clean death in return for filling my belly.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When fishing I always give the fishies I catch a merciful knife thru the head rather than letting them flop about suffocating. They deserve a clean death in return for filling my belly.

Yes that would be merciful. Having seen "Trawler Men" on Brit TV, I imagine they do not want to mark the fish when caught. Do you get plenty of Cod where you are?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes that would be merciful. Having seen "Trawler Men" on Brit TV, I imagine they do not want to mark the fish when caught. Do you get plenty of Cod where you are?

If I go fishing it will be in the fjords where I grew up, don`t trust the fishies here in the capital they eat such odd things. Plenty of cod there, but I prefer the trout from rivers or mountain lakes. Mhhh trout sandwich with norwegian flatbread is one of the most delicious things there are.

Mors_flatbrod.png

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, we had a special piece of wood with a nail driven through it for the same job, a quick end (still not a great one but at least quick).

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I go fishing it will be in the fjords where I grew up, don`t trust the fishies here in the capital they eat such odd things. Plenty of cod there, but I prefer the trout from rivers or mountain lakes. Mhhh trout sandwich with norwegian flatbread is one of the most delicious things there are.

Mors_flatbrod.png

Sounds lovely.