Hsing i/Zing yi - a Root of Karate

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
True, but since the question was about Xingyiquan……
I don't like to look at from a MA style point of view. I like to look at from principal point of view. 6 Harmonies principle is above all MA styles (include XingYi).

- Taiji trains in slow speed because it's easier to coordinate your body parts in slow speed.
- Baji use heavy foot stomping to train body coordination.

All MA system try to achieve body unification (include XingYi, Taiji, Baji, ...). They may just use different training method.

marvin8

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't like to look at from a MA style point of view. I like to look at from principal point of view. 6 Harmonies principle is above all MA styles (include XingYi).

- Taiji trains in slow speed because it's easier to coordinate your body parts in slow speed.
Taiji (e.g., Chang), 6 Harmonies Praying Mantis, Shuai Chiao diagonal striking and most CMAs/MAs do not "try to achieve coordinate lead foot and rear hand."

All MA system try to achieve body unification (include XingYi, Taiji, Baji, ...). They may just use different training method.
Not by your definition. Whole body unification and your "coordinate hand and foot" are separate concepts. Not all MAs rely on "stepping/stomping to generate power." Most MAs can generate power by weight shifting. A problem with stepping with every punch is it's slower and telegraphs.

Can you post Xingyi or Baji sparring/fighting (movement, timing, energy [resistance]) showing "coordinate (rear) hand and foot?"

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Taiji (e.g., Chang), 6 Harmonies Praying Mantis, Shuai Chiao diagonal striking and most CMAs/MAs do not "try to achieve coordinate lead foot and rear hand."

Not by your definition. Whole body unification and your "coordinate hand and foot" are separate concepts. Not all MAs rely on "stepping/stomping to generate power." Most MAs can generate power by weight shifting. A problem with stepping with every punch is it's slower and telegraphs.

Can you post Xingyi or Baji sparring/fighting (movement, timing, energy [resistance]) showing "coordinate (rear) hand and foot?"
Your rear hand can coordinate with either your leading foot, or your back foot.

6 harmonies (body unification) is more than just power generation. The human body is like 3 separate springs. Without training, each spring is compressed individually and release individually. With training, all 3 springs can be compressed at the same time and then release at the same time.

Again, you ask for sparring video. I don't have that many sparring/tournament videos to share here.

Body unification is used in Chinese wrestling. You can see in their training.

- Left arm pull,
- Right arm strike,
- Right leg kick back,

all try to start at the same time and finish at the same time. The order 1, 2 is given. 1 is compress. 2 is release.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

yes, but the OP was asking specifically about Xingyiquan

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A Monkey Steals Peach playlist - Exploring Xingyi Quan...

Interesting video.
May take on li, qi, and obvious, subtle power: the goal is to distribute the effort through as many body structures as possible.

Benefits:
  • each muscle or structure does less work for the same effect
  • or, for the same amount of work per muscle or structure, a distributed effort has a greater effect.
Xingyiquan, like many arts, aims for this distributed effort.