OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
#

well, maybe
I was being somewhat light hearted with my answer. Sorry if I offended. There are times when raising your arm is all you realy have to do if your arm is aligned correctly with uke's eyes. Humans have a natural instinct to protect their eyes and will react in the opposite direction of anything coming at their face. If timed right you may not need to actually touch uke to break his balance. It's difficult, but if anyone could do it with regularity it would have been Ueshiba.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
sorry 2.

could be.

i think many aikido sensei can do that. some people do it just by instinct without any aikido knowledge(with some contact however).
if the opponent has a sword i know of doing this move while raising the opponents sword( upwards in a circular redirecting way).

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
2 again...:/

no offense taken.- i was just to slow to reply in a coherant way.

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No problem. The typed word is not always a great way to confer humor. No inflection. As for being coherent, don't worry about it. If you ever had a chance to talk to me before my first cup of coffee you'd hear someone being incoherent.:boing2:

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ueshiba did that without touching uke because uke knew that allowing O'sensei to actually make contact on iriminage would hurt like hell.:boing2:

I've read the rest, but I think this is close to the truth. Also we have to remember that many demostrations show principles: the hows and whys.

I've never experienced O'Sensei myself, but can only evaluate from videos and what other poeple have experienced.

/yari