How's that for ukemi?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[yt]W5Vn2bcNon8&feature=related[/yt]

In my style we'd call that technique "spin around"...although what's on the video is actually the ending to the way we'd do the technique. I know that different styles call the same techniques different things. What would ya'll call that (if not iriminage)?

note to self: get into dojo with video camera and start uploading video for sharing.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
[yt]W5Vn2bcNon8&feature=related[/yt]

note to self: get into dojo with video camera and start uploading video for sharing.

Yes Jeff you need to do that.
icon6.gif

While not a big proponent of high flying ukemi I do see it's use at times and this particular video was a nice demonstration of it.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Big ouch, indeed. It's hard to tell from this angle, but is he smacking that dude in the face or closer to the neck/shoulders?

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Big ouch, indeed. It's hard to tell from this angle, but is he smacking that dude in the face or closer to the neck/shoulders?

He's lifting up his chin and allowing his feet to continue in a vertical circle. Doesn't hurt as much as you'd think if you have good ukemi.

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It shouldn't be a smack at all, actually. It's more of a redirection of uke's energy from a front/linear motion up, back and down. Think of an ocean wave building then hitting you in the chest and washing up and over you, driving you into the surf. It's very hard to describe with the written word. First chance I get I'll do a video and try to break it down graphical.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd say iriminage. And yes he's slapping off, but it's hard for the upperspine. Wouldn't do it on an old uke.

A good uke knows waht to do, but think what happens if your on the street and the oponent doens'tknow how to to a breakfall?

Anthoer point is the take down itself. Alot of people concentrate on the arm going acrose the throught/neck. But the other hand is most important, because it's the one that takes ukes balance. With the correct timing taking the balance is usally enough. Some styles even grabe the neck and twist while they are pulling out of balance, given it a downward spin (very akward for uke).

/yari

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd say iriminage. And yes he's slapping off, but it's hard for the upperspine. Wouldn't do it on an old uke.

I guess that depends on what you consider old. I'm considered old in some circles, and I love taking falls like that :)

A good uke knows what to do, but think what happens if your on the street and the oponent doens't know how to to a breakfall?

If I am attacked on the street what happens to my opponent is his responsiblity. I haven't evolved to the point where I can concern myself with the safety of someone trying to do me harm

Anthoer point is the take down itself. Alot of people concentrate on the arm going acrose the throught/neck. But the other hand is most important, because it's the one that takes ukes balance. With the correct timing taking the balance is usally enough. Some styles even grabe the neck and twist while they are pulling out of balance, given it a downward spin (very akward for uke)./yari

SHHH!!! that's a secret :p

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Another point is the take down itself. Alot of people concentrate on the arm going acrose the throught/neck. But the other hand is most important, because it's the one that takes ukes balance. With the correct timing taking the balance is usally enough. Some styles even grabe the neck and twist while they are pulling out of balance, given it a downward spin (very akward for uke).

And unfortunately for us beginners that is the hardest part. For most of the people watching an iriminage the hand hitting the throat is the most important, while if both hands don't work together Iriminage loses all its effect. By what I was taught, actually, in the basic Iriminage the hand in front of Uke is more important the ascending movement instead of the going into uke movement.
I like alot the way my Senpai does his Iriminage even tho I really have problems to do it that way. He places his hand on the side of the neck and uses his elbow in the center of the back to take uke's balance.

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've all been discussing one single technique but each of us does it a little differently. That's what making your art your own is all about.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We've all been discussing one single technique but each of us does it a little differently. That's what making your art your own is all about.

Yes I agere totaly. Also I think it gives us a possiblity to understand what small differences can do, and how they work. Becausein real life nothing is as 100% as in the dojo, so "knowing/understanding" different variations will help on the technique your doing.

/Yari

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was waiting for the Hogan leg drop or the People's Elbow as a follow up
icon10.gif

As for the technique, I've seen it done for real with the same results on the receiver's end. Really awesome!

What is a Hogans leg drop and People's Elbow?

/Yari

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
They are Pro-Wrestling finishing Moves for Hulk Hogan and The Rock-LOL! They always followed a "clothesline" to an opponent.
Sorry, it's what popped into my head when I saw the clip, and everytime I see it done.
icon7.gif

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They are Pro-Wrestling finishing Moves for Hulk Hogan and The Rock-LOL! They always followed a "clothesline" to an opponent.
Sorry, it's what popped into my head when I saw the clip, and everytime I see it done.
icon7.gif
Yes, iriminage looks a great deal like a clothesline technique. However, when I do the technique I'm using an arm that is slightly bent and flowing energy (ki) so that it won't buckle and am attempting to flow that energy across uke's face at an angle to move his head rather than his upper body. Move the head and the body will follow...okay, it'll only not follow once and then it's all over.:rolleyes: I've seen others do iriminage across the upper body. Can anyone tell me why you use that as your target? Is it just that the upper body offers a larger area to work with?

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ueshibasensei would do this move without touching the opponent. simply by raising arm, uke would follow

like this i call it clothsliner.

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ueshiba did that without touching uke because uke knew that allowing O'sensei to actually make contact on iriminage would hurt like hell.:boing2:

Latest Discussions