How would you handle this ???

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I reckon I'd stay until the police got there - you're going to be in more trouble of the wander off and then they come looking for you than if you 'fess up I think; looks like you've got something to hide otherwise...

Ian.

OP
K

KanoLives

Originally posted by webpage20022003
have 1 easy question for everybody here. Take your time to answer it as it is in real situation ok?

you are walking down the street and 1 punk comes up to you and throws a punch at you. You execute techniques and the guy is on the floor. He is not dead.

1-You would run away and pretend NOTHING happen
2-Wait for a cop to arrive and file a report and go to court to explain to judge what was hapenning.

that are 2 options. Which one will you choose and why?

thanks all.

Personally.....I'm outta there like a fat kid in a dodge ball game. :)
And depending on how bad I messed the dude up I may or may not call him an ambulance. :asian:

OP
K

KEMPO DAVE

I'd walk away and pretend nothing happened. Because nothing did...

OP
J

jdmills

Originally posted by SPP333
Yilisifu brings up a good point. Are you under legal obligation to stay on the scene if you are attacked? I don't think that it's probably even wise to stick around the scene, If I was to call the cops it would be from home or a near- by "safe" location. This exact scenario actually did happen to me and I just booked outta there even though there were a few witnesses who got outta their cars and just watched the whole thing. They really didn't see who started it. I still don't know if the guy was trying to rob me (he was dressed better than I was), or if it was a mistake of identity, or what. He ended up with a bloody nose and a gouged out eye and I just left him on the ground and ran like H*LL. I debated with myself for hours about wether or not to call the police when I got home, and worried for the next 2 weeks after deciding not to. Since nothing ever happened to me, I'm glad I didn't call the cops, It probably would have gotten me sued in civil court (at the very least.)

True but you are making an extremely common mistake in that you are using the fact that you were attacked (a fact that you would be trying to prove) to show that you had no obligation to remain on the scene. I'm an attorney. My opinion is that what I would do would depend on the situation (witnesses, weapons, . . .) and how badly the guy was hurt. If the cops find a body, or someone really badly injured, they will investigate. Maybe they find you, maybe not, but generally the fact that you left the scene after you inflicted a very serious injury on an attacker will not be helpful when (if) you need to explain what happend to the cops. The other problem is that the injured guy will probably get to explain the situation to the cops first and when the cops investigate, they will look at the site as a "crime scene" and will be speaking to you (again if they find you) as a "suspect". Not a situation I would put myself into if I could avoid it.

Generally, if the guy was badly hurt and would probably need hospital care, I'd stay but if he was just superficially injured, I'd probably go. If he had a weapon, I'd almost certainly stay to ensure the cops got it. Witness would make me more likely to stay.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

OP
J

J-kid

Take his wallet and leave, maybe take off his shoes put them tie them together and throw them over a telephone wire(depending on weather).

OP
W

webpage20022003

Originally posted by Judo-kid
Take his wallet and leave, maybe take off his shoes put them tie them together and throw them over a telephone wire(depending on weather).

why would you want to do something like this?

why not take his pant off and hang on the trees ????:D :D

OP
K

ken_loc

I would walk away quick, theres no way I would stand around and wait because it's usually the aggressor, right or wrong that gets in trouble.:cool:

OP
P

pineapple head

I would hit him as hard as could.
He came onto me and deserved whatever he gets.His problem.
I have little time for the people in this world who want to hurt me.
I would certainly walk away. Do i deserve this , NO I DO NOT.
I work hard all day , support my family and in general i am a good citazen.

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Elfan
Leave a sticky note listing all the injuries and then walk away.

Very Funny! :rofl: :roflmao:

OP
J

jdmills

Originally posted by pineapple head

The question isn't whether you deserved it, it's what to do now.
Someone is down and hurt. It is unclear how badly. You are responsible for the guy being down. You may have been justified but you are still the one that put him in that condition. Maybe you could have used less force, run away, given up your wallet, whatever. This is not to say that you should have done any of the above and you may have been 100% justified in dropping the clown.

If the guy is seriously injured, police will be involved. Maybe they can find you, maybe not, but if they find you and come to you, I'd be willing to bet that you will wish that you had stayed and spoken with them first.

I'm not saying that the answer is to stay, all I'm saying is that the "I didn't deserve this will get no mileage when the cops show up at your door regarding the "assault".

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by jdmills
The question isn't whether you deserved it, it's what to do now.
Someone is down and hurt. It is unclear how badly. You are responsible for the guy being down. You may have been justified but you are still the one that put him in that condition. Maybe you could have used less force, run away, given up your wallet, whatever. This is not to say that you should have done any of the above and you may have been 100% justified in dropping the clown.

If the guy is seriously injured, police will be involved. Maybe they can find you, maybe not, but if they find you and come to you, I'd be willing to bet that you will wish that you had stayed and spoken with them first.

I'm not saying that the answer is to stay, all I'm saying is that the "I didn't deserve this will get no mileage when the cops show up at your door regarding the "assault".

Very good points! I do agree. The cops don't care about your reasons WHY you did what you did...especially if you leave the scene. All they want to do is punish you for WHAT you did. And the worse the damage...the rougher they are going to make it on you! That is why...when you see yourself winning...do whatever it takes to make sure he doesn't come at you again...and not any more than that. If you had to get that severe, then it may be best to stick around. :idunno:
The best possible answer for this whole scenario and everywhere it could go is probably...."It all depends"! :asian:

OP
J

jdmills

The other thing to remember is that police officers at the scene in an initial investigation may just write it up as self defense if you are there to explain the situation. That way there will probably be no prosecutor or judge involved. If the only one there to explain is the mugger who will now claim to be a victim of a mugging or assault, the police are FAR more likely to really investigate and give you a serious problem (again assuming that they can find you).

OP
W

webpage20022003

Originally posted by pineapple head

certainly agree with that.

OP
W

webpage20022003

The other thing to remember is that police officers at the scene in an initial investigation may just write it up as self defense if you are there to explain the situation. That way there will probably be no prosecutor or judge involved. If the only one there to explain is the mugger who will now claim to be a victim of a mugging or assault, the police are FAR more likely to really investigate and give you a serious problem (again assuming that they can find you).

i don't mind to wait for the police but i have to go to jail and eventually go to court to explain what is going on. It's not worth it.

when you apply for a job, your record shows that you are in jail for a few hours. It doesn't look good in the resume, does it?

when it comes to self-defense, the intention of the agressor is to hurt you or try to steal thing away from you. Of course, that is why he comes to you because he thinks that you will be his next victim.

you only have 2 choices: you hurt him or he hurts you. What is going to be ?

2 more points need to make

police will know who is fault even though you are not at the scene.

a good person doesn't go around and tries to beat everybody up.

if the bad guy claims that he is robbed, the police will ask him what he lost. If he doesn't show what he lost, he is in heap of trouble.

OP
J

jdmills

How is the guy going to show what he lost? He lost it! He can claim he lost money, or anything.

I don't know how a detention would show up on any search. Arrests, sometimes and certainly convictions. I am asked about an assault arrest on any application, I don't think it would hurt me to say that the charges were dropped as soon as I convinced the prosecutor that I acted in self defense woul hurt me.

Convice the cops that you acted in self defense when the arrive at the scene and you will not have any problems.

I really wish that some of the experienced law enforcement types that are on this site would provide their opinion here. My opinion as an attorney is only one aspect and they know more about what happens at a scene and in an investigation than I probably ever will. If my thinking is erroneous, I'd sure like to know it before I hang around to be arrested.

OP
W

webpage20022003

How is the guy going to show what he lost? He lost it! He can claim he lost money, or anything.

I don't know how a detention would show up on any search. Arrests, sometimes and certainly convictions. I am asked about an assault arrest on any application, I don't think it would hurt me to say that the charges were dropped as soon as I convinced the prosecutor that I acted in self defense woul hurt me.

Convice the cops that you acted in self defense when the arrive at the scene and you will not have any problems.

if you are a bag guy and try to steal money from other, you will give the wallet back ? or you will take the whole wallet ? how about a watch or any jewelry he is wearing?

if these things are still there, a foolish cop will believe it. The amount of time, money and anxiety you will put in your defense...a lot of things to think about

CONVINCE is a very big word in this case. How are you going to convince other that you defend yourself ?. Will they believe you ?
a bad guy will turn around and sue you for hurting him.

i don't have a lot of times and money to waste in this case

I really wish that some of the experienced law enforcement types that are on this site would provide their opinion here. My opinion as an attorney is only one aspect and they know more about what happens at a scene and in an investigation than I probably ever will. If my thinking is erroneous, I'd sure like to know it before I hang around to be arrested.

need more law enforcement officers in this topic so that we know what is going on. Agree on that

OP
S

SRyuFighter

I would just walk away if the cops caught up to me then I would tell them what happened.

Latest Discussions