How would you handle this ???

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by pesilat
Yup. And that's where the old saw of, "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" comes in.

Personally, at this point in my life, I'd probably call the cops just because I'd rather deal with it now than spend the next couple of days wondering if the cops were going to show up. I've done that once (same scenario you described, at least in concept/results). I spent the rest of that night wondering if the guy had gotten my license plate as I drove off and whether the cops were going to show up at my door.

Mike

Yep. It sucks having to worry about something that you didn't start and couldn't prevent. :(

OP
N

Nate_Hoopes

I know loads of cops and they all told me to get out of there if i can, it varys by state but in some states both parties are arrested for assualt until the situation gets sorted out, as well as even if you dont have to go to court on charges he can still sue you in civil court regardless of whos fault it is/was. causing you to likely lose money time, and a host of other things. Personally im gone, witnesses or not, if they track me down later I'll just say that i didnt know i had taken him down that bad and was running to get away from him.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nate_Hoopes
if they track me down later I'll just say that i didnt know i had taken him down that bad and was running to get away from him.

That's not bad. But, when it comes out that you're a trained MAist, it could look that much worse. "With your background, you must have known how badly you had injured him."

I suppose the backup to that would be, "Yeah, but I was afraid he might have friends nearby."

Mike

OP
N

Nate_Hoopes

Originally posted by pesilat
That's not bad. But, when it comes out that you're a trained MAist, it could look that much worse. "With your background, you must have known how badly you had injured him."

I suppose the backup to that would be, "Yeah, but I was afraid he might have friends nearby."

Mike

I don't know how easy it would be for them to get that info. It's not as though im registered in a computer somewhere or anything, They would have to ask me if i had it, to which i would reply "some, but no much, just basic stuff" now even though that statement isnt entirely true it inst a lie either, even though i do have over 2 years of training now, it's "not much" compared to a lot of other people and what i feel i have learned are "just the basics", my sifu would probably even back me up on this one.

he even told me once that if i was the type to want to carry a staff or escrima sticks in my car for protection and i was caught with them and questionsed by the police to just tell them i was coming from a karate lesson and to give the cop his number.

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would walk away like nothing ever happened. If in fact there was mugger number two, I'd take him out also, and still walk away but not before getting a look at one of their drivers licenses so that I knew where to look them up in the future. You know, just in case I needed to get in touch with them.....maybe get to gether, do lunch.....

Gary Catherman

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nate_Hoopes
I don't know how easy it would be for them to get that info. It's not as though im registered in a computer somewhere or anything, They would have to ask me if i had it, to which i would reply "some, but no much, just basic stuff" now even though that statement isnt entirely true it inst a lie either, even though i do have over 2 years of training now, it's "not much" compared to a lot of other people and what i feel i have learned are "just the basics", my sifu would probably even back me up on this one.

he even told me once that if i was the type to want to carry a staff or escrima sticks in my car for protection and i was caught with them and questionsed by the police to just tell them i was coming from a karate lesson and to give the cop his number.

Well, for me, it would be pretty easy. Anyone who knows me knows that I train in MA. With just a little easy searching (enter "mike casto" into google.com and you'll see what I mean), people will find that I'm an instructor who teaches classes and seminars. And they'll most likely find my bio on my webpage.

In my estimation, I'm still a toddler who's stumbled around the block a couple of times. In the big picture, my 20+ years in MA isn't a lot compared to some of my instructors with 40, 50, 60, or 70+ years. But to JQ Public, 20+ years in the martial arts and being an instructor is very impressive.

Mike

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Kalicombat
I would walk away like nothing ever happened. If in fact there was mugger number two, I'd take him out also, and still walk away but not before getting a look at one of their drivers licenses so that I knew where to look them up in the future. You know, just in case I needed to get in touch with them.....maybe get to gether, do lunch.....

Gary Catherman

Very funny!
:roflmao:

OP
W

webpage20022003

personally, i don't like to hang around after a fight. I don't like to go to court to explain with judge why i beat him.

if i know that i will win in court, i will go . Justice delay is justice deny. I don't want to end up in jail for self defense

the idea of staying is out of my mind.

if cop shows up at my door, all i can say is "sir, i'm scared and ran away" :)

if a guy can throw a punch at another, he should learn how not complain or file a lawsuit when he lost the fight.

OP
Y

yilisifu

I don't believe I'd be under a legal obligation to remain on the scene, so I'd leave. It's better than staying and possibly looking at a lawsuit later on.

OP
S

SPP333

Yilisifu brings up a good point. Are you under legal obligation to stay on the scene if you are attacked? I don't think that it's probably even wise to stick around the scene, If I was to call the cops it would be from home or a near- by "safe" location. This exact scenario actually did happen to me and I just booked outta there even though there were a few witnesses who got outta their cars and just watched the whole thing. They really didn't see who started it. I still don't know if the guy was trying to rob me (he was dressed better than I was), or if it was a mistake of identity, or what. He ended up with a bloody nose and a gouged out eye and I just left him on the ground and ran like H*LL. I debated with myself for hours about wether or not to call the police when I got home, and worried for the next 2 weeks after deciding not to. Since nothing ever happened to me, I'm glad I didn't call the cops, It probably would have gotten me sued in civil court (at the very least.)

OP
J

Jill666

I would call the police myself and give my statement.

Of course, being a woman, and not big, it's going to be a no-brainer for me. If some guy attacks me, I'm the underdog.

I wouldn't mention that I "have a black belt in Karate".

But if I were a man, or notably big, I think the situation would give me much more to think about.

I would only leave the scene if I felt unsafe- and I do make a point of having bus/cab fare and my cell phone with me at all times anyway.

In theory, as martial artists, we should accept the responsibility of using our skills- but I don't necessarily feel the need to volunteer more information than necessary.

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Jill666
I would call the police myself and give my statement.

Of course, being a woman, and not big, it's going to be a no-brainer for me. If some guy attacks me, I'm the underdog.

I wouldn't mention that I "have a black belt in Karate".

But if I were a man, or notably big, I think the situation would give me much more to think about.

I would only leave the scene if I felt unsafe- and I do make a point of having bus/cab fare and my cell phone with me at all times anyway.

In theory, as martial artists, we should accept the responsibility of using our skills- but I don't necessarily feel the need to volunteer more information than necessary.

Even being the underdog you can still be open to a lawsuit.

OP
J

Jill666

Absolutely. Fine. Sue me for the $545 I have in my saving account. I don't give a ratus assimus.

I have absolutely made up my mind in advance that if I have to defend myself I will- and I will accept the consequences. If convicted of assault or manslaughter I'll accept that. If sued in civil court, I'll counter sue, and if I lose, my extensive stock portfolio is all yours. :rolleyes:

I've long ago decided my course of action. I feel that if you study the martial arts, it is because you intend to use it if necessary. If you study medicine, it is because you intend to heal, not harm or neglect. If you buy a gun, it is because you intend to shoot the weapon, and may someday take a life with that weapon.

If you take courses of action like these, you must be aware of the worst-case scenario, and prepared to deal with it. I've made up my mind in advance so when the day comes, I will do what I consider to be the right thing for myself. I don't say that lightly.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Absolutely. Fine. Sue me for the $545 I have in my saving account. I don't give a ratus assimus.

I have absolutely made up my mind in advance that if I have to defend myself I will- and I will accept the consequences. If convicted of assault or manslaughter I'll accept that. If sued in civil court, I'll counter sue, and if I lose, my extensive stock portfolio is all yours. :rolleyes:

I've long ago decided my course of action. I feel that if you study the martial arts, it is because you intend to use it if necessary. If you study medicine, it is because you intend to heal, not harm or neglect. If you buy a gun, it is because you intend to shoot the weapon, and may someday take a life with that weapon.

If you take courses of action like these, you must be aware of the worst-case scenario, and prepared to deal with it. I've made up my mind in advance so when the day comes, I will do what I consider to be the right thing for myself. I don't say that lightly.

You've (IMO) hit the nail squarely on the head. We must think about these possibilities and decide our course of action before we are faced with the situation. When the brown stuff hits the fan, it's too late to think about it. We have to already have our M.O. set and be prepared to do what's necessary to accomplish our predetermined agenda.

What that agenda (to leave, to stay, to call the cops, etc.) will vary from person to person. I don't think there is a "right" answer that will work for everyone. I think we should determine it all beforehand but keep things flexible enough that they can be "tweaked" in the actual situation.

This also goes for "lethal force" issues. We need to determine if we could/would kill and under what circumstances we could/would. Then, if we end up there, we need to do it without hesitation. We need to have decided it and decided that we're willing to cope with the aftermath (internal and external) if it happens.

Of course, there are no guarantees. Just because I've determined one thing in my training, I may do something completely different when faced with the reality (including freeze up completely and get my ticket punched). But determining it decisively beforehand might help and can provide guidelines if we do get into a situation where we need to use it. Ideally, our bodies and minds will fall into "automatic pilot" and do what we've trained to do.

But I think it's important to determine these things (whatever determination we make as individuals) before being faced with them.

Mike

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by webpage20022003
have 1 easy question for everybody here. Take your time to answer it as it is in real situation ok?

you are walking down the street and 1 punk comes up to you and throws a punch at you. You execute techniques and the guy is on the floor. He is not dead.

1-You would run away and pretend NOTHING happen
2-Wait for a cop to arrive and file a report and go to court to explain to judge what was hapenning.

that are 2 options. Which one will you choose and why?

thanks all.

Leave a sticky note listing all the injuries and then walk away.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
have 1 easy question for everybody here. Take your time to answer it as it is in real situation ok?

you are walking down the street and 1 punk comes up to you and throws a punch at you. You execute techniques and the guy is on the floor. He is not dead.

1-You would run away and pretend NOTHING happen
2-Wait for a cop to arrive and file a report and go to court to explain to judge what was hapenning.

that are 2 options. Which one will you choose and why?

thanks all.

If witnesses, then while executing techniques, yelling Help, Stop, Do not hurt me. Ouch, Quit it!

Why would I do this? Because the wirnesses then rememebr you saying these things, therefore the other guys most be the attacker and you were defending yourself.

Now, if the guy is down I will and have checked to make sure they have not swallowed their tongues.

Also, if questioned by the police, I do not remember what happened, he just attacked me and I just reacted to protect myself. This takes out the premeditated idea for the prosecutor if you tell them you were planning on doing xyz technique.

Also, Press Charges, so, when he presses charges, it will look mutual. Also, tell them you checked for a pulse and for the swallowed tongue and prevented others from moving him before the Parameds showed up. This shows you are not blood thirsty.

And if it looks bad for the other guy, then walk around the corner while waiting and make sure you have the bruises on your ribs or forehead, when the police arrive.

You said if this were for real.

Now, if no witnesses and no camaras, then check for pulse and tongue then leave.

:asian:

OP
W

webpage20022003

accepting responsibility is a good thing but if you end up going to jail or being broke and can't support yourself and your family member, your responsibility to yourself and these individuals is no good.

spending more than 1 year in jail to think about your responsibility in fighting is a heck of a deal , don't you think?

i rather spend time doing what best for myself, my family, and my country than in jail

OP
B

Billy Lear

accepting responsibility is a good thing but if you end up going to jail or being broke and can't support yourself and your family member, your responsibility to yourself and these individuals is no good.

spending more than 1 year in jail to think about your responsibility in fighting is a heck of a deal , don't you think?

i rather spend time doing what best for myself, my family, and my country than in jail

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. :asian:

OP
W

webpage20022003

Originally posted by Billy Lear
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. :asian:

i hope 12 members don't put you in jail or ask you to pay a heavy fine for dending yourself :):soapbox:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well to be honest, I do not believe that even an apointed attourney could not get Jill off of an Assault charge.

" Your honor and the Jury, please look at this figure of a women. (* Dressed in a dress or other feminine clothing *), how could she attack this (* insert picture of 6' + 200 lbs + guy *)."

It is about perceptions, in the court room. It is about perceptions with the police. It is about perceptions with the ADA on your case. If you can convince the police that it was self defense this is the beginning. If the witnesses, agree, so much the better. If youend up being questioned by a detective and or an ADA. Answer the first question. Yes that is my name. You should ask for a lawyer. Many times, they will turn off the tape recorder at that point. Still insist on your lawyer.

If you ask how does this bozo know???

Been There Done That!, I did not get the T-Shirt, because I persuaded them to realize that a nice upstanding College Student or Engineer, has a much better chance of being on defense then those who were either unemployed or . . .

So, perceptions, are the key. And playing to a Jury after you are still alive, is how many people believe and react.

I will tell you, in the real situation, you do not stop to think about what will happen to me after this over. You are only trying to survive and be alive for the next 30 seconds. Once it is over, then adrenaline dump shock sets in and you might get the shakes and start thinking. Remember at this time you do not answer any questions other than I do not know what happened or can I talk to a lawyer, if you think it is serious.

Just my lowly opinions from my time on the wrong side of the streets.

Have A Nice Day! ;)

Latest Discussions