How will Tai Chi help me become a better martial artist?

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You will likely find more "Chen style" classes that are geared towards the martial arts of it than "Yang style" classes, but there are some Yang style teachers that teach the martial arts of it, they are just hard to find. But I have seen a few "Chen" schools, of late, that are also not doing any of the martial side at all, which I was rather sad to see.
Yeah ... I was thinking of it as a general trend, but by no means a rule. Always, check out the class, ask around.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yeah ... I was thinking of it as a general trend, but by no means a rule. Always, check out the class, ask around.

Also, and you would likely know more about this than I, The Wu family in Toronto was teaching the martial arts of it as well. They were even having their students learn break falls last I knew. There was also a Northern Wu style teacher west of me (Northeast USA) who also knew the martial side, but I do not know how much of it he actually taught/teaches.

But with Wu and Northern Wu styles it is just as hard to find a teacher who will (or can) teach the martial side

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here's a video of Ian Sinclair, Tai Chi guy, demoing with a kind MMA fella. It might give you an idea of how Tai Chi (or Ian, at least) approaches physical interactions.

Note: the video is not meant to show that one art is better than another. These are just two guys from different disciplines. Instead, the video attempts to show how two artists can interact with mutual respect. I hope that we can all look at the video with that in mind. (Please watch with the audio on for Ian's commentary.)

(... and try not to be distracted by what's going on in the background after :25.)

Last edited:

Goku2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this - I had this video in mind. So often people want to believe that one style is superior than another. It always boils down to the practitioner!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To be a better kenpo fighter it is best that you practise more kenpo.

Taichi will only provide you with limited gains and will not be worth the time spent.
Could be true. It depends a lot on the teacher. And the student.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Taiji can only help ALL styles of fighting. Yoga is not a better option. In taiji one learns what 'centered' really means, and must maintain that feeling throughout all movement, not it static poses.
Don't waste your time arguing with a brick.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A full taichi curriculum takes a long time to learn, not to mention its methods often contradict what is taught in kenpo. Thus a kenpo practitioner ought to just improve his kenpo rather than mix it with taichi.
So you have fully mastered, strongest and weakest base of support, and only need learn the next tech?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A full taichi curriculum takes a long time to learn, not to mention its methods often contradict what is taught in kenpo. Thus a kenpo practitioner ought to just improve his kenpo rather than mix it with taichi.
Well, you don't need a "full" taiji curriculum, if that can even be defined.

As an ex-Kenpo shodan, it is my opinion, from what I've seen, that Kenpo and most Kenpo practitioners could learn a lot and benefit from a study of Chinese methods, under a good sifu.

Goku2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Full curriculum can be defined: Form, Tui Shou, and qigong (taiji martial qigong)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Full curriculum can be defined: Form, Tui Shou, and qigong (taiji martial qigong)
Which forms?
Which tui shou?
Which qigong?

There are many. How much is needs for a "complete" curriculum? The definition can vary widely.

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
In this commercialized world nearly any school/studio/club can sell you anything. Yoga for stretching, tai chi for stress relieve you name it.

It worth to mention that traditionally taiji was byproduct of several preexisting martial methods. So by definition at it birth it was designed as self sufficient system on its own. Not supplemental exercise as many try to sell it today. Unfortunately, contemporary taiji only can offer "form" training and go as far as "push hands". There are a lot of things have been left off, washed out, lost..So since there are no sparring it will be pretty much useless because there is no exposure to develop actual usage and understanding of its principles.

So the bottom line the valye of tai chi today is similar for adding to your training yoga, swimming, running, playing tennis and etc . Yes it can help, and no in it's original purpose it's useless

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm getting a mix bagged here. Lots of people saying it can help or it won't help, or it will help but not exactly in the way you wish it will.

I am going to take some of it for a month or so, see where it is going. There is nothing I can possibly lose here, it is free at my gym and its like if I do this I can't continue kenpo training and weight training.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm getting a mix bagged here. Lots of people saying it can help or it won't help, or it will help but not exactly in the way you wish it will.
It depends on the class and instructor. Tai Chi is not monolithic, with all classes and instructors teaching the same thing the same way.
I am going to take some of it for a month or so, see where it is going.
That's the best course of action. Since we don't know the class at your gym, we can't advise you to take it or not.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
It depends on the class and instructor. Tai Chi is not monolithic, with all classes and instructors teaching the same thing the same way.That's the best course of action. Since we don't know the class at your gym, we can't advise you to take it or not.

I know the instructor. But I don't know her tai chi experience, she is a woman with a history of weight lifting championships and an athletics coach. She helped me reach over my platue when I was stuck at 250-260 being my max lift and I was gaining no mucle anymore.

She helped me before with that so I am thinking that is can help with my martial arts and expand my knowledge of another form of it.

I will keep the thread updated based on what I experience in her class, that way I can gain feedback from experienced practitioners.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Besides the 6 harmonies, Taiji can also help you in the following areas:

- All your body parts are like a rubber ball (Peng Jin) and can bounce back any incoming force if needed.
- You will learn how to redirect an incoming force away from your body.
- One move is equal to either 1 inhale, or 1 exhale.
- The end of your previous move will be the beginning of your next move.
- Your car now has round wheels instead of square wheels that rotate as 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 and still 1,2,3,4. :)

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I am going to take some of it for a month or so, see where it is going. There is nothing I can possibly lose here, it is free at my gym and its like if I do this I can't continue kenpo training and weight training.

Yeah, the problem is that it's pretty hard to find a legit Tai Chi school in America. Unlike say boxing or Judo where BS is fairly uncommon, internal Chinese Martial arts have a history of being taught poorly by frauds or by people who didn't know what they were doing. There's some good ICMA out there, but you gotta dig deep to find it. Even if you do find it, it's honestly doubtful that training in those particular styles will make you a better fighter, or really compliment your Kenpo training.

Try it for a month, and let us know what you think.:)

Goku2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Which forms?
Which tui shou?
Which qigong?

There are many. How much is needs for a "complete" curriculum? The definition can vary widely.
It really depends on the style - not being flippant, here, but knowing one form really well rather than a multitude. Developing internal strength through qigong exercises as well as understanding rooting. Understanding the taiji principles and applying them. These are the components that should be addressed. Which form, which qigong exercises are up to each school or branch. The only constant are the principles.

Goku2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In this commercialized world nearly any school/studio/club can sell you anything. Yoga for stretching, tai chi for stress relieve you name it.

It worth to mention that traditionally taiji was byproduct of several preexisting martial methods. So by definition at it birth it was designed as self sufficient system on its own. Not supplemental exercise as many try to sell it today. Unfortunately, contemporary taiji only can offer "form" training and go as far as "push hands". There are a lot of things have been left off, washed out, lost..So since there are no sparring it will be pretty much useless because there is no exposure to develop actual usage and understanding of its principles.

So the bottom line the valye of tai chi today is similar for adding to your training yoga, swimming, running, playing tennis and etc . Yes it can help, and no in it's original purpose it's useless
Sorry your experiences have not been useful. From personal experience, I agree with you up to a point. There are people who do share more than a typical school would. I went through three schools before I found what I was looking for. And his shingle is not hanging out for the masses.

Goku2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, the problem is that it's pretty hard to find a legit Tai Chi school in America. Unlike say boxing or Judo where BS is fairly uncommon, internal Chinese Martial arts have a history of being taught poorly by frauds or by people who didn't know what they were doing. There's some good ICMA out there, but you gotta dig deep to find it. Even if you do find it, it's honestly doubtful that training in those particular styles will make you a better fighter, or really compliment your Kenpo training.

Try it for a month, and let us know what you think.:)
And do some other taijiquan research before you make a decision. My experience with a gym class was a 'follow only' situation.

Latest Discussions