How to handle the parents

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Terry was 100% right. He has his own kids and I am sure that he takes the decision to remove a student from his school because of the actions of a parent very seriously.

Absolutely! Sometimes hard decisions have to be made and the right thing done, not a popular thought these days.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why do I have to offer logic for something I feel? since when did feelings and opinions have to be logical, I gave my opinion and said what I felt, you read it the wrong way, I didn't write what I felt the wrong way! You don't have to like, appreciate or in any way endorse my feelings about this subject. if you don't like my answers I can't help that either. I write honestly, without pretence and as I see things, obviously my views and others aren't going to be the same. I really can't see why all this has to be so 'in your face'.

You actually started a whole new thread based on your answer to me which suggested I must be insecure because I base my performance on others.... which actually I don't and in fact on that thread others have argued more eloquently than I about the subject and those views echo mine. I'm refraining from posting on that thread because I feel quite strongly you are getting at me with it. I guess that will confirm now your thoughts of my 'insecurities'. :rolleyes:

Ok...exlplain how one person can "feel" something without any reasoning behind the emotion. How can you develope an opinion on something without reason? That makes no sense. You have some sort of logic behind what it is that drives you to the opinion. It has nothing to do with me agreeing or disagreeing, it has to do with explain how you arrived at your opinion. You haven't even given answer to my question for me to like or dislike.

Yes, I did start a new thread based on this simply because you are not the only person who has uttered this feeling. However others have explained their reasoning behind why they feel this way. So sorry to break this to you but my posting of new threads do not revolve around getting at you.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tez,
I have always appreciated you comments. Even if I do not agree with them they always get me thinking.

miguksaram
Not every decision or opinion has to be based on pure logic. We as humans are not Vulcans >"Star Trek" reference.<
Tez has a right to speak her mind on any subject in any manner that pleases her as long as the Board rules are followed. You also have the same rights as she does.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok...exlplain how one person can "feel" something without any reasoning behind the emotion. How can you develope an opinion on something without reason? That makes no sense. You have some sort of logic behind what it is that drives you to the opinion. It has nothing to do with me agreeing or disagreeing, it has to do with explain how you arrived at your opinion. You haven't even given answer to my question for me to like or dislike.

Yes, I did start a new thread based on this simply because you are not the only person who has uttered this feeling. However others have explained their reasoning behind why they feel this way. So sorry to break this to you but my posting of new threads do not revolve around getting at you.

I guess your posts just turn out tetchy with me then. I suppose I just rub you up the wrong way, it happens.
You have assumed wrongly as it turns out that I base how well or not I do based on others accomplishments, so anything I do say won't make much sense to you after that. Others have explained how I feel about the subject much better than I have, Dancingalone's posts are excellent in my view and express how it is for many of us far better than I could or would attempt to.

Kelly, what a boring world it would be if we all agreed on everything lol! It's brilliant to be able to swap ideas, thoughts and views on things. Different cultures have different ways of looking at things, I'm wondering if perhaps Americans are more used to commercial martial arts than Europeans? We of course have schools for money etc but the cliche of course is America as a very commercial place whereas we tend to bumble along more as amateurs? I don't know if thats a fair assumption but it does seem you have bigger schools and classes than we do.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Different cultures have different ways of looking at things, I'm wondering if perhaps Americans are more used to commercial martial arts than Europeans?
We pretty much are used to commercial everything. Each and every good idea that hits these shores is commercialized.

Every culture has things that they do discinctly well and better than most other cultures. Usually, it is the things that they are known for. America's single most unsurpassed ability is to systematize and commercialize anything. We have other things that we do well, but of everything, I would say that it is this ability to package and commercialize even the absurd and to do it better than anyone else that we are best known for.

It is a blessing and a curse. A blessing because it actually brings ideas that would otherwise remain obscure to vast numbers of people.

A curse because in the process, we usually homogenize whatever it is that we are commericalizing to such an extent that it loses some of what made it special in the first place.

Having said that, I do not feel that Europeans bumble along as amateurs. I do think that Europeans generally have better restraint in this area than we do.

Daniel

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
"I'm wondering if perhaps Americans are more used to commercial martial arts than Europeans? We of course have schools for money etc but the cliche of course is America as a very commercial place whereas we tend to bumble along more as amateurs? I don't know if thats a fair assumption but it does seem you have bigger schools and classes than we do. "

Tez,
I take Martial Arts at a commercial school so that is all that I know. In that school you develop friends or a core group of training partners and we as a group kinda bumble around with as well. I usually take a class that has mostly has adults in it and the structure is more relaxed so that we can experiment with a technique and feel free to help a fellow student that may have problems with a technique. We will also get together outside the class room as well for a good old fashioned bull session.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I guess your posts just turn out tetchy with me then. I suppose I just rub you up the wrong way, it happens.

Honestly, you think way too much of yourself if you think you are rubbing me the wrong way. Heck, even TF doesn't even rub me the wrong way and he has the tactfullness of a monkey flinging poo at the local zoo. ha.haha.

You have assumed wrongly as it turns out that I base how well or not I do based on others accomplishments, so anything I do say won't make much sense to you after that.
That's the thing, I haven't assumed anything. I asked you a question. If I assumed something, then why on earth would I ask you a question?

Others have explained how I feel about the subject much better than I have, Dancingalone's posts are excellent in my view and express how it is for many of us far better than I could or would attempt to.

Yes, they have explained but they explained their particular view point. They did not say it was your view point as well. If it is why not just put it in your own words and use their answer as yours?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, you think way too much of yourself if you think you are rubbing me the wrong way. Heck, even TF doesn't even rub me the wrong way and he has the tactfullness of a monkey flinging poo at the local zoo. ha.haha.

That's the thing, I haven't assumed anything. I asked you a question. If I assumed something, then why on earth would I ask you a question?

Yes, they have explained but they explained their particular view point. They did not say it was your view point as well. If it is why not just put it in your own words and use their answer as yours?

:lol:

I'm sorry mate but methinks you protest too much and spend far too much time cogitating on my posts!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"Honestly, you think way too much of yourself if you think you are rubbing me the wrong way. Heck, even TF doesn't even rub me the wrong way and he has the tactfullness of a monkey flinging poo at the local zoo. ha.haha." MIGUKSARAM

Now that is funny!!!

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
miguksaram
Not every decision or opinion has to be based on pure logic. We as humans are not Vulcans >"Star Trek" reference.<
Tez has a right to speak her mind on any subject in any manner that pleases her as long as the Board rules are followed. You also have the same rights as she does.

I disagree, there has to be some sort of reasoning behind feelings. How can one just arbitrarily feel? One of the items that seperates us in the animal kingdom is our capicity for reason.

Are you saying that I can just hit someone without reason, simply because today I don't like them? Or I can simply utter the phrase all taekwondo people are worthless fighters, without any reason outside of that is just how I feel? Following that thought process I can wake up tomorrow and say all taekwondo people are great fighters because today that is just how I feel? Sorry...that just doesn't make any real since.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagree, there has to be some sort of reasoning behind feelings. How can one just arbitrarily feel? One of the items that seperates us in the animal kingdom is our capicity for reason.

Are you saying that I can just hit someone without reason, simply because today I don't like them? Or I can simply utter the phrase all taekwondo people are worthless fighters, without any reason outside of that is just how I feel? Following that thought process I can wake up tomorrow and say all taekwondo people are great fighters because today that is just how I feel? Sorry...that just doesn't make any real since.

Yet, that's pretty much how it works. We tend to feel before we think. Lots of research has been done, and the integration of the body as a whpe; with brainproceses that we call "mind" are very complicated. essentially, there is no mind seperate from body (although it seems to be that way). It also seems to be that thoughts control emotions...which they do, but only after the fact. That is, we feel an emotional response to something...this tends to come from the earlier developing (more "primitive" sections of our brain. the Forntal cortex that deals with planning and the like, the logic centers then interprets that and we can then identify the source of the emotion...the nature of the emotion (as many physical signals cover similar emotions,, for example, fear, anger, and sexual arousal share similar physiological responses, and it is the stimuli that differentiate whether we run from a lion, hit an aggressor, or wolf whistle at an attractive young lady).

In short, we are wired to feel first, then interpret those feelings and act accordingly. It is learning and expereince that then shape how we express our emotions behaviorally. This mechanism is one of the main factors behind many anxiety disorders. Misattributions of phsyiolgical repsonses to stimuli that get interpreted as fear (called a panic attack). get hooked onto all sorts of things and even the fear of having an attack then can lead to things like social avoidance and agoraphobia. But it is because people feel first, then interpret those felign logically later...and if signals get crossed, what results is irrational behavior.

In my work, I oftne have to teach my young clients what anger, fear, etc. feel like before I can work with them on hwo to handle specific situations. they can do all the right things to manage stressful situations in my office. But in the situation they'd still blow up. Why? Because they didn't recognize the onset of the emotion in tie to access the strategies necessary to deal with it. Once they learned how to identify theur own emotions, then the logical stuff that works to control the behaviors resulting from that emotion can be used.

Sorry for the long OT post. It's an area of interest for me.

Peac,e
Erik

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Protesting what? You have given me nothing to protest...~sigh~ Whatever.

Shakespeare, dear boy, Shakespeare, has a quote for everything.

If reason had anything to do with who we fall in love with, very few people would fall in love and besides who wants reason to rear it;s ugly head. Reason has little to do with a great many feelings we have, reason would tell us a great many things that our feelings would have none of. reason and doctors told my friend he'd never walk again, luckily he listened to his feelings and he does walk. Reason would allow us no passion, no glorious feelings of love for people and things that reason says we shouldn't. Reason would say put a severely handicapped child in care but parents don't they try well beyond what reason would dictate to give their children a good life.
Go through life allowing reason to win everytime and you will miss so much. There's no reason we should love beautiful flowers, or wonderful smells, there's no reason for us to want beauty and lovely things around us but we do because we feel it's right.

Did you know the word 'whatever' has just been voted the most annoying word in the language here? It's a chav word ROFL! these are chavs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXRbfCurbAE&feature=related

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
are you at least serving popcorn and soda?

Sheesh you 2 fight worse than a bunch of middle aged hormonal women around fool moon!

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yet, that's pretty much how it works. We tend to feel before we think. Lots of research has been done, and the integration of the body as a whpe; with brainproceses that we call "mind" are very complicated. essentially, there is no mind seperate from body (although it seems to be that way). It also seems to be that thoughts control emotions...which they do, but only after the fact....

Excellent post and thank you. So at what point should thoughts come into play to justify the feeling, regardless if the thoughts themselves are rational or not?

I can agree that we can have a instant feeling without the process of reasoning, but I also believe that there has to be a time that reasoning should come into play to justify that feeling.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shakespeare, dear boy, Shakespeare, has a quote for everything.
Shakespear said:
The lady doth protest too much, methinks
Hamlet Act 3 Scene 2....Yes, I am quite familiar with Shakespear.

So I end it with this
Shakespear ~Romeo & Juliet Act 2 Scene 4 said:
Nay, if our wits run the wild-goose chase, I am done; for thou hast more of the wild goose in one of thy wits than, I am sure, I have in my whole five.
Annnnnd scene. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please return to the original topic.

jks9199
Sr. Moderator

Latest Discussions