How to handle KALI

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
Stop hoping kenpo will have a secret method of destroying Kali. Learn some of that kali or Escrima. You will find that they sacrafice posture for range and they have the return motion from hell. These guys can teach you more about the stick than Stick form 1 or whatever your kenpo school teaches.

EPAK does contain the secrets to responding to Kali. The rules and principles are there and can be modified to an opponent with a stick. Unfortunately its not a simple magical transformation. Stances change because a lead leg becomes to easy a target. Checks remain important and very useful ways to control your opponents movements. Dimensional control of your opponent remains important. Learn the Kali response and approach but also look for something different to overcome their weaknesses. (all opponents have weaknesses. It's our job to determine those weaknesses and turn them to our advantage.)

Fighting style is generally determined by whatever the rules of engagement are. Kenpo contains the secrets to responding to these new situations. Now unless you are a genius of motion like Mr. Parker you will have to analyze the situation and then repeatedly practice till you can do what you need to do. For me there are no magic solutions just hard work bruises and laughter when I screw up big time.

Respectfully Submitted,

Jeff

OP
T

twinkletoes

Michael,

I apologize if that's how my post sounded. The only reason I mentioned "kenpo staff" was because I thought your title made your post imply it. The rest of my post is not directed in any way personally, though I realize that saying "you" sounds it. Mea culpa.

I liked your suggestions of chairs, handguns, and automatic weapons. It was in that same sense I added rocks. :)

~TT

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was definitly having "one of those days" this afternoon ... and was ready to throw chairs. I may have come on a bit strong also.

It's all good!

-MB

OP
O

ob2c

Thanks for the help, guys! Between you and the FMA forum I got some good tips, and tonight went a lot better. I did modify my stance and footwork some. I did manage to get in and get some good elbow strikes and punches, as well as some good stick hits. I got dumped pretty hard once when we got in to grappling range, but I guess that's how you learn. My latest Kenpo training partner has quit, so I signed up for a month class with these guys. They said I could try some of my Kenpo on them, and I'll tell you that if I can make it work on these guys, it'll work for me on the street! They are tough, and seriouse ma's. It's a bit of a trip, and we'll see how it goes. Finding good workout partners is one of the few drawbacks to living in a rural area. Thanks again.

OP
K

kenpo12

Here's a tip:

If a guy on the street has two sticks, RUN!

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by rmcrobertson
5. Ya plays the other guy's game, ya usually gets hammered.
[/B]

It's like a Kenpo guy asking: "Every time I go to wrestle with my Brazilian Jujitsu friend he eats my lunch...is Kenpo any good or what?"
Now don't get me wrong, I like and really appreciate a good Kali practitioner... it's good stuff no doubt about it. But if you do a Kali fight with Kali sticks with a Kali practitioner.... STUDY KALI.

Don't box a boxer, don't wrestle a wrester

don't hustle a hustler...

Sam Ting...
Your Brother
John

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brother John
It's like a Kenpo guy asking: "Every time I go to wrestle with my Brazilian Jujitsu friend he eats my lunch...is Kenpo any good or what?"
Now don't get me wrong, I like and really appreciate a good Kali practitioner... it's good stuff no doubt about it. But if you do a Kali fight with Kali sticks with a Kali practitioner.... STUDY KALI.

Sam Ting...
Your Brother
John

Generally I agree, don't play the other guys game. It's OK to study Kali, it's fun it's interesting and it's useful. But to beat a Kali guy study Kenpo and it's intersection with Kali and force him to play your game. Always keep your opponent off guard.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brother John

Sam Ting...
Your Brother
John

Good post!!!:D :D

Mike

OP
O

ob2c

Originally posted by Kenpodoc
...to beat a Kali guy study Kenpo and it's intersection with Kali and force him to play your game. ...

God advice!

The main 'intersection' seems to me to be the footwork. What I've come up with so far is to turn my neutral bow on a 45' axis. My problem is that it isn't 'natural' to me, so I end up working into a more acute angle and get myself whacked. But I'm getting better at it. After you get the angle right, all their footwork is some combination of our basics. They primarily use push drags, but will often do them more as a lunge with a wider stance. They step up the circle a lot too. Their elastico, or yield from a strike, sometimes resembles our cat, but is a little different in that it leans back. Of course, all our foot maneuvers work to a degree, but those seem to be the primary ones they use.

Another thing I'm having to get use to is not taking too close an angle when I go to the side. Get in too close and you lessen the effective power of the stick. You can strike with the punyo, but there is just something satisfying about a good solid whack with the tip of the stick! Also, if he reacts and retreats and strikes, I'm the one that gets whacked if I went in too close, where the wider angle allows me some room to react to his counter.

It's all a learning process. And I'm having fun with it, so the bruises are worth it, I guess. Thanks for the perspective.

Latest Discussions