how to get kias louder

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bammx2 said:
Gee,thanks for clearing that up.
Now...any suggestions on how to answer the original question?

Specific guidance? No. That is for Penjr to take up with his instructor. If he is as junior a student as it would seem, whether his instructor knows what he is doing or not, it is an issue for Penjr to approach through his system's methods. For me, or anyone else for that matter, to provide direction may very well go completely against the grain of the instruction Penjr's teacher is attempting to provide.

It may well be that the system Penjr studies simply doesn't go deeply into the subject beyond "yell 'kiai' at them." That would be highly unfortunate, but not beyond believability (I've seen worse).

Having said that, should Penjr study a while longer and still find that the topic is absent from his teacher's instruction, then Penjr should perhaps reconsider the issue and seek out another teacher from whom to obtain the information. Anything discovered on the internet is going to be too superficial to fully communicate the knowledge Penjr would be seeking.

Grammar does NOT make you a better martial artist,your heart does.

Perhaps, however allowing an area of one's self to remain undeveloped, or worse yet accepting that mediocre performance is acceptable, speaks toward the martial artist's overall approach to life. If training in martial arts is a lifelong pursuit of excellence, an effort to eliminate the weaknesses within one's self, then isn't eliminating other areas of weakness just as much a part of training?

Mr.Stone,this was not a jab at just you.
I totally respect what you had to say and I am keeping the info for future refference...and so I can translate it into more laymans terms.

I didn't take it as a jab, so no worries. Just remember that Buddha said:

"Today is victory over lesser men. Tomorrow is victory over my self."

Confucius said:

"I will not be concerned with other men not knowing me. I will be concerned, however, with my own shortcomings."

OP
T

thepanjr

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all that info on kiaing. Ill practice my kias. If i get better at this i could shock my cousin with the kia.

OP
T

thepanjr

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is the diaphram below the bellybutton. I think so but not sure> do i push air through the diaphram like poke it. how will that make a good kia im so confused. Oh ya nice idea yell at the pillow. I don't know why but some you people are funny. My classes are not serious they have fun. The way adults talk make me laugh. eEvery line has some mature funny thing. Scream on the back of students. So far i laugh about couple of times. One thing people said i saw a forum and it made me laugh for two days.

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey panjr....

Your diaphragm is just below your breastbone,the hard part where the ribs meet in the middle of your chest.
Follow that bone down till it stops.your diaphragm is right in that area.
If you ever get punced there hard enough....you'll know it for sure!
It will just knock the wind out of you,but you'll never forget it
icon12.gif

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The diaphragm is a large muscle that pulls your lungs open (inhalation) thus expanding tham and pushes back upward to partially deflate them (exhalation). It is a very large muscle. If you've ever done a bellyflop in a pool or fallen on your stomach or taken a serious punch in the stomach and "got the wind knocked out of you," that muscle spasmed, decreasing your ability to inhale properly and the impact from a solid punch there can leave you feeling as though you've got a rock in your gut for a few days.

So when you kiai, everyone is saying that this muscle should contract - you'll feel a tightening of that muscle (not just your abs). You can test this by pushing into your abdomen a little with a couple of fingers together - carefully and not too deeply.

Good luck!

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Rent out "Scent of a Women" spend the afternoon imatating Al pacino

OP
T

thepanjr

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh i went to a tournament and got third place but i forgot the kias. My kia are bit louder than before but in front of black belts and other students i was nervous. Still i got third and i know i could have done better if my kias are loud. I think i might get promoted. i know enough kata(form or drill). Ill be practicing my kias. One day it will be loud to shock people. Thank you all the people who helped me and tried to help me. I wont be on for a long time because ill be training. Also learning new katas. And once agian thank you for your help it helped me alot and the reputation points are ceared. No more unthought replies. I think. Humans do make mistakes once awhile, it is in their nature to do so.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you had a good tournament experience. Third place is a winner. You all are winners for going and trying to get better! Now you know how much you have to practice and eventually your kata and kiaps too will be better. Enjoy learning--it is a journey of awakening and discovery about yourself and you have just begun! TW

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
thepanjr said:
1)Oh i went to a tournament and got third place but i forgot the kias.

2)My kia are bit louder than before but in front of black belts and other students i was nervous.

3)Still i got third and i know i could have done better if my kias are loud. I think i might get promoted. i know enough kata(form or drill). Ill be practicing my kias.

4)One day it will be loud to shock people. Thank you all the people who helped me and tried to help me. I wont be on for a long time because ill be training. Also learning new katas. And once agian thank you for your help it helped me alot and the reputation points are ceared. No more unthought replies. I think. Humans do make mistakes once awhile, it is in their nature to do so.
1)Third place is pretty good.

2)Why? Black Belts are people too. Just think of them as people that used to be white belts and it might help you not be so nervous in front of them. Nobody becomes a black belt without screwing up a few times.

3)Hopefully the criteria for success in the tournament didn’t rest on whether your kiai were loud enough….that would be a poor evaluating factor.

4)Why? Is that important or something? The sole purpose of doing Kiai isn’t to shock people, nor is there some sort of mystical voodoo-esque type “magic” to it that some jokers call “kiaijutsu”. There are other more important uses for kiai in kata than just scaring the crap out of someone. Physically the muscles in the abdomen contract when doing kiai, this is said to concentrate more force into the technique, one translation of kiai is “meeting/fusing of ki”. In this sense the word ki is referring to the mental spirit sort of ki that is used in concentration (you are fusing body and mind) when focusing on a particular effort and not the airy-fairy hocus-pocus kind of childish ki people think of after watching too many chop-socky kung fu movies.

hwarang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
you should try yelling from low in your stomach, much like a singer sings.. when you kiap/giyap whatever you callit, you should see your tangent(spot just below your belly button, your center) should jump

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Hwarang, you should find the kia deep inside, force it out diaphragmatically. It's the shout of the spirit, after all; it should be heard clearly.

peter

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi All

A great post and one that is both interesting and amusing.

I think that this is something that many martial artists have experienced. Initially, the kiai tends to makes us all very self-conscious. At this level, we tend to hold back most of it. In time the use of the kiai is more clearly understood and it becomes less of a conscious effort.

Correct, it is an expression, or release, of the fighting spirit of the Karate-ka. There are many other benefits, such as:
1. Scare the opponent
icon10.gif

2. Help to control your fears
icon14.gif

3. Rapidly expell air so that you don't become winded if hit
icon7.gif

4. Can help to draw attention to a street confrontation

Overall, it can take years to develop and ultimately, it needs to be part of your technique and not separate from it. With correct application, the more focus and effort that you apply to all techniques, the louder the kiai will become. Usually best when the body is close to fatique and you need to regain focus. Set a target of, say 1000 reverse punches and you will need that kiai to get through the training session.

Finally, find a quite field, mountain or park. Go there regularly and work the kiai WITH your techniques. It will get better and you will become less aware of it.

Good luck in your training

Best regards

Peter

Peter Lewis - 5th Dan
www.yuli-romo.com
www.bakbakan.com

kicksindabank

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well as said before in this post, how are your breathing techniques? When you are doing your kata do you keep a steady flow of breathing? These are what you need to focus on more. Granted the kia's are great, but if you breating is not focus, then your kia's are in vain.

Kia's are just a point when all of your energy come out in one point in the kata (please correct me if I am wrong.)

AHC9882

White Belt
Reaction score
i also have trouble yelling out kia cause, im naturally quiet, and very shy. but the info i've read so far might help me. thanks everyone:asian:

karateka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
thepanjr said:
my kias are really bad if i kiaed no one would hear. give me some tips on how to improve kia

most begginers think of kia as a loud noise.

lets look at the word kia, it composes of the work KI which is spiritual energy , lifeforce, essence, mojo or whatever welse you choose to call it.

according to japanese tradition the spirit is strong and the abdomen (this plays a central role in SEPPUKU (google is your friend) ). when you shout, try to shout from your hara, and not your lungs. this kind of kia has practical uses as well as "cosmetic". it will make your techniques higher energy and more efficient.

practice that and try to sync your kia with your moves for optimum results.

Latest Discussions