How to fight back if someone pushes you down?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all, I HAVE grappled. Second, I have enough knowledge to know what does and does not work on the ground even if I don't grapple on a regular basis. My suggestions were more about what to do to prevent things before it even gets to the ground. The best way to handle being on the ground is to not get there. Some people ask, "How would WC defend against an arm bar?" And I say, "Don't let the guy get you in one!" Because once it is locked in, then it's a very tough spot.
I agree with this. Excepting the highly trained grapplers (who are an unlikely assailant), most grapplers wouldn't be able to get me to the ground (at least not all the way) to test my ground fighting ability. My primary work makes me harder to take down that I used to be, so that is my first (and best) defense. The ground work I practice isn't so much in case I get attacked by a grappler, but in case I get blind-sided and am on the ground before I know it, or I step on something and fall down. I rarely practice and never teach things like that BJJ arm-bar escape, because that kind of complex move is highly unlikely within the context of an attack. It's similar to my decision not to practice defenses against those KO diving kicks the Kyukoshin (did I even spell that right?) folks do.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My suggestions were more about what to do to prevent things before it even gets to the ground. The best way to handle being on the ground is to not get there.

I don't think that came across in your original post. The original question was about what the OP could do once she was pushed down and pinned on the ground. Your answer never mentioned anything about preventing being pushed down, so it was reasonable to interpret as suggestions for how to escape the pin.

First of all, I HAVE grappled. Second, I have enough knowledge to know what does and does not work on the ground even if I don't grapple on a regular basis.

What exactly is your grappling background?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think that came across in your original post. The original question was about what the OP could do once she was pushed down and pinned on the ground. Your answer never mentioned anything about preventing being pushed down, so it was reasonable to interpret as suggestions for how to escape the pin.

What exactly is your grappling background?

Okay, I will concede that my original response was not clear. However, I have a good idea of where you are going with the question about my grappling background. Since I have a feeling no amount of experience will be "good enough," especially to someone whose main focus is grappling, I don't even see the point in answering it.

And on that note, I respectfully bow out of commenting further on this thread...which, I admit, I said I was doing before. What can I say? I let myself get drawn back into it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She didn't say what to do if she was pinned down. If she had followed my reply with "what if I am pinned," then I could have said things to that too.

Mansplaining. Please. Not everything has to be a feminist rant from you. And the statement that you think you have to "explain" it to me is condescending. I gave a list with the honest intent of offering helpful suggestions. The only one who read the "typical male" thing into it was you.

No, not a 'feminist' rant at all. There is no 'typical male thing, you are imagining something that isn't there. However as you are not a female you will not have experienced forcible and non consensual vaginal penetration and been held down in the position I have described so I described it. You don't know the horror of being pinned down in that way. Rather than be nasty in you comments perhaps you should ask a female about it. Then you can knock off the 'feminist rant' comments because frankly it's tiresome and just plain silly. Have a word with yourself mate.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say it's less mansplaining and more "never-grappled-and-doesn't-know-how-it-works-splaining". I've had guys explain the same kind of ideas to me and my avatar pic makes it pretty clear that I'm not female, so I think it's less about gender and more about not knowing how things work on the ground

Yeah but that doesn't get the point over when someone is being condescending.

As for it being a man/woman thing that sort of came with the OP, a man assaulting or potentially assaulting a woman so how is it that wingchun100 thinks I brought gender into it? The OP a small, weaker female wanted to know how to take action when a larger male pushes her down with intent to sexually assault her. Now he's taking umbrage because I said he doesn't understand how a woman feels when pinned down in the manner I described. There's a fair few things I don't understand how men feel, it's a fact of life. I'm don't do feminist rants, I would prefer people on here not to know what gender I am in most cases hence the ambiguous username. however every now and again there is a subject I'm closer to because I'm female such as this one. I think what wingchun100 thinks he sees in me is actually are a reflection of himself, his anger, his aggression towards me etc. I don't worry, I have broad shoulders, he can project his anger on me, not good for him though.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay, I will concede that my original response was not clear. However, I have a good idea of where you are going with the question about my grappling background. Since I have a feeling no amount of experience will be "good enough," especially to someone whose main focus is grappling, I don't even see the point in answering it.

And on that note, I respectfully bow out of commenting further on this thread...which, I admit, I said I was doing before. What can I say? I let myself get drawn back into it.

Didn't you think you could have expected that when claiming grappling experience, grapplers on the forums might ask you to defend that? As to how much experience would be "good enough," that probably needs to be taken in context, rather than dodged in a way that makes it seem even you don't think you have any real experience.

For all any of us know, your school has a early on block of instruction on how to use any of several grappling techniques to get back on your feet when you end up on the ground. I (nor probably others) would not call you a grappler, but might, if your articulated it well, agree you have enough grappling training to speak to the question of the OP.

Rather, it appears you simply wanted to justify your previous comments, then try to wiggle out of an uncomfortable situation of having to admit you don't have the training or experience you implied. You seem an intelligent person. You seem passionate about martial arts.

You can make a better impression by simply saying what you know and how you feel that will apply to the thrust of a thread. If I or others agree or disagree, you shouldn't take it personally unless it is plainly so. I as well as others, can have opinions too. Nor do I, and I don't think others at MT, expect you to be an expert practitioner of all martial arts. So I don't think you make yourself look better by implying knowledge and experience you cannot justify when questioned about it.

Just my two cents for what it may or may not be worth to you.