How to add little Dragons - Tiger program

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since I have never really ran one of these programs looking for some solid advice about how to make it work? Which belts, testing requirements and so forth. All help is appreciated.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
At my school we run a little dragons program. It is for the 5-7 year olds who are too young to participate in regular children's classes. the classes are shorter, 30-45 minutes. There are no belts. Rather, there is a list of required basic skills they need to master (basic front kick, basic punches, animal movements such as bear walk, rabbit hop, etc.) and they get a gold star when they get one.

In addition, the class plays a lot of games that teach following direction, movement and the like. The goal is to give the students a solid foundation on white belt skills and develop the requisite ability to follow directions and take instruction in a regular class.

Peace,
Erik

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At my school we run a little dragons program. It is for the 5-7 year olds who are too young to participate in regular children's classes. the classes are shorter, 30-45 minutes. There are no belts. Rather, there is a list of required basic skills they need to master (basic front kick, basic punches, animal movements such as bear walk, rabbit hop, etc.) and they get a gold star when they get one.

In addition, the class plays a lot of games that teach following direction, movement and the like. The goal is to give the students a solid foundation on white belt skills and develop the requisite ability to follow directions and take instruction in a regular class.

Peace,
Erik

What are the cost for these parents to put there child there and how many classes a week?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Peace,
Erik

This is the same as ours, we do give stripe belts though. We have a class twice a week ( our main classes are also twice a week) and we charge £4 a session ( not sure what that is in dollars now with the 'credit crunch! about 7 or 8 dollars I think) for a 45 min session.
I know people think little uns shouldn't do martial arts but I have to say what good fun it is for the instructors as well as the children and it's amazing to see things through this age groups eyes.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The program at our do-jang is for 5-7 year olds and has 30-40 minute classes. The "Tiny Lions" wear do-boks with a tiny lions patch and logo instead of the do-jang patch and logo. Their classes are completely different to regular classes with more emphasis on running and rolling but they still do the basic kicks. They have their own forms which are quite simple.

The belt structure is different, they have solid and striped belts and each belt has a high and low. This means by the time they are 7 they are about to get a green belt and once they get a solid green belt they go in to regular classes at the green belt level. Personally, I think that starting them at a green belt level in a regular class is too high, they should come in as a yellow belt with an extra patch on the uniform for having been a tiny lion.

They learn how to count to 10 in Korean and they also learn the names for the kicks and punches in Korean. The classes focus more on fun and less on technique. It is a way to get kids and parents hooked on martial arts before the spectre of school sports gets its grip on them.

Our testing requirements consist of doing their form (jump, jump, jump, front kick, jump, jump, jump, side kick etc...) along with basic kicks. They have to know different things at different belt levels such as their parents birthdays, their address and phone number etc... They then have a little assult course where they run around the edge of the mat doing rolls and kicking paddles at certain points. The final thing they do is board breaking, we have thin, flimsy boards for them to break. The testing is very lax because the idea is for them to have fun and not stress out. Oh, we also have about 30 seconds of non-contact sparring. My daughters look so cute when they do that :)

They all get an award of one kind or another, usually a patch or a star for things like "courage" and "best breaking".

Overall, the intent of the classes and the testing is for the kids to have fun and to learn a little bit each class. My daughters know the basic kicks and they can count to 10 in Korean. That is about all you should expect from them until they hit regular classes.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We used to have an excellent tiny lions instructor, due to internal politics she left the do-jang which was a pity.

While they were waiting for the class to start they would sit at the back of the mat. She would sit on the mat facing them and would ask them what they did at school or on the weekend. When they did stretching she would have a rhyme they would sing that sounded Korean and it was to the tune of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. She could get those kids to do anything for her, they loved her classes. You almost need to be a first grade teacher rather than a black belt.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We used to have an excellent tiny lions instructor, due to internal politics she left the do-jang which was a pity.

While they were waiting for the class to start they would sit at the back of the mat. She would sit on the mat facing them and would ask them what they did at school or on the weekend. When they did stretching she would have a rhyme they would sing that sounded Korean and it was to the tune of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. She could get those kids to do anything for her, they loved her classes. You almost need to be a first grade teacher rather than a black belt.

Funny you should say that since I teach first grade and my wife teaches 5th graders. So how much did it cost and how many times a week?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ITA Tiger Cubs, 3-6 years old (three is VERY young)

basic moves, front kick, punches, blocks, knife hand (on targets and blockers), several cup ranks that mimic the big kids' belts, white with a color stripe, several rank specific requirements, like a cub oath, promissing not to fool around with TKD, how to politely introduce yourself or basic SD drill (yelling and running as well as defense against a wrist grab)

Kids can graduate at any time to the junior program (they start as white belt there tho, no real advantage, just having fun) some games. I can not tell you how people are amazed when we get their kids to stand still for 30 seconds! ;)

You can't expect a lot from those kids, but they are a lot of fun if you can get into the 'let's play TKD' kind of mind set!

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Funny you should say that since I teach first grade and my wife teaches 5th graders. So how much did it cost and how many times a week?

It costs about the same as regular classes, even the testing costs the same. Personally I would not make the classes or testing cost as much as regular classes, I would not charge for testing and make the regular classes anywhere from 50% to 75% of the regular fee. We have a "family deal" which makes the whole thing cheaper anyway. There are no limits on the number of times per week for us so the kids could go every night if they wanted to. Since we have the family deal I have not looked into the fee structure for individuals because it does not apply to us.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to add: 30 min. 3 times a week.

Short attention span, quick pace through the class, gotta keep their interest.

tests are according to their rank, the requirements, blocks, punches etc, kinda like in class. Even if they test in the big venue (we used to test 3 schools in a big gym) it has to be fun - serious fun, but still fun! ;)

Even tournaments with those guys are a hoot! (I miss teaching them. I moved and can't be at the center for cub time.)

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
What are the cost for these parents to put there child there and how many classes a week?

It was cheaper than regular classes. 1/2 to 3/4 the regular monthly membership. You get one class per week and the classes are kept to about 5-8 students per class. Two groups run concurrently (one on Wednesday night, one on Saturday mornings). I think there is the option of paying for and attending both sesions per week for added cost, but most folks just do the one class per week.

They are run by the instructor's wife (ex) and another female gup rank student. I've filled in a few times with classes to cover vacations and the like. Lots of fun. The biggest thing they do is having the young kids do a foot stomp break on a littel 3" board. it's such a confidence booster.

On a professional note, I will say that the kids that come thorugh the dragons program make for better regular students compared to young kids off the streets in many cases. I think the foundations laid out and trained in the deagons program lead to better skill development and longer student retention...these kids seem to stay longer with the training instead of dropping out at green belt.

Peace,
Erik

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I teach "lil ninja" classes and currently have four different classes with between 8 and 12 kids in each group, (I have right at about 40 students). I have a curriculum of three blocks, strikes, kicks, stances, and tumbles, and one break (one of those century boards) for every three belts. So white, yellow and orange belts all do the same techniques, then they move into the green, purple, blue class for all new techniques. They are at each belt level for about 2 months and at white belt we are just wanting participation, at yellow they should be getting a good idea of the movements, and by orange they are getting pretty darn good at those techniques. We also spar, but we do not do any forms. We really stress listening (at the dojang and at home) and standing in line and waiting your turn and all that good stuff. We have a couple three year olds, but most are 5 and the class is really designed for 4-7 year olds. At some point while the student is 7 they move into the "big kids" class at a belt level that seems appropriate (most at a maybe a 9th gup).

I really enjoy teaching them, they are a lot of fun.
I don't know how your rates are now, but we charge $60 a month (normal classes are about $100 a month), so that is almost half. Testing fees are $40, and our normal testing fees are about $60. The kids wear the century black lil ninja uniforms and their belts are the white Velcro belt with a color stripe in the middle.

That is the jist of it. Let me know if you want more details.

One other thing, I really think kids at this age respond better to a woman. My instructor (a man) taught this class for a long time and he is a GREAT teacher, but he never had more than 8 or 10 kids. I teach it in what feels like the EXACT same way that I watched him teach it but the class has grown by leaps and bounds (I have probably been teaching it for 10 months, and like I said, we went from 10 kids to 40). Although if you teach 1st grade (I didn't know that) you would probably do very well with them.

Good luck! And again, let me know if you want more details on the curriculum or anything.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Laurentkd is right I think, they do respond to womenbetter on the whole. One thing that is a joy to watch is the children breakfalling, it's so easy for them to learn at a young age. In the older class some of the children have problems with that, they worry about looking sillly or hurting themsleves.with the young ones they have no worries about doing what they do anyway! it just needs a little tweaking to turn it into a proper breakfall.
I wouldn't have children any younger than four though, over here thats when they start school.
A lot of our children are children of soldiers, they have mums or dads serving sometimes both, last year when the garrison here had a big deployment to Iraq and Afghanistan we had some of the male students who hadn't gone away and who were dads themselve come in and 'spar' with the kids. It was great fun with the kids 'beating' up the guys, it gave the boys especially who missed the rough and tumble of playing with dad an outlet as it did those who were angry at dads going away. Using energy up was invaluable too as the mums have a lot to cope with. If mums go away the children usually go off to grandparents so we don't see them for ove six months, when they come back as we don't have a curriculum as such the children find it easy to fit back in, unlike school we keep the same, there's a sense of security for them.
We have the same in 2010 with the deployment of troops.
The value of young childrens classes may not at first seem worthwhile but it is, the very first seeds of the virtues of martial arts can be planted and i don't think they leave even if the child doesn't go on to do further martial arts.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Since I have never really ran one of these programs looking for some solid advice about how to make it work? Which belts, testing requirements and so forth. All help is appreciated.

We have our Lil' Sharks program. It is 3 1/2 - 5 year olds. It is ran twice a week from 5-5:30 and we charge $115.00 for an 8 week session. (First session is actually $150 since we charge for the uniform).

We do very basic karate as well as motor skill and discipline training. When they begin they just have their uniform and no belt. To earn their belt, they have to do two things 1) they have to get through a whole class without goofing around around or "scolded" and 2) They have to show good discipline at home, like picking up after themselves or helping their parents/gaurdians around the house for 1 week. We do ask the parents if they achieved this, if they haven't they don't get their belt.

Once they receive their white belt they we award them different color stripes in the following catagories:

1) Self discipline - Standing in a ready position for one minute with talking or looking around (sounds easy but if you have never taught 3-5 year olds you will find out how difficult that is for them)

2) Basic techniques - This deals with their basic kicks, punches and blocks

3) Ippon #1 - This is their basic one man form that is taught to all white belts

4) Exercise - They must show that they can complete all the exercises correctly

5) Basic rolls - They have to do 3 basic rolls.

Once they acheive all of that they can promote to what we call "Super Shark". It is a white belt with a yellow stripe. We do not charge for this or any stripe testing. Once they achieve Super Shark, we begin to teach them some of the basics of the regular kids' program that we have for 6 and up. Since we have about 80% of our Lil' Sharks go on to enroll into our kids' program, once they are in it, they are extremely close to promote to their next rank.

It is a lot of fun, but you have to remember that kids are not adults and patience is a must, but most of all THEY CAN SMELL FEAR!!! :D Good luck with your program.