How much time for a beginner to practically use your system?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How much credit can we take for something "learned" on the first day?
It depends on the teacher and the student. if I show you how to use a Jow Ga fist and you learn it on day one. Then you get credit for being a fast learner and the teacher gets credit for teaching you something you didn't know before. I've taught self defense classes to tends who were able to use grappling escapes in one day. The next day they came back and told me to grab them and they were able to use it to keep me from grabbing their arm. Jow Ga is very practical so not every technique takes years to learn.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So, what is it that a student must "learn" to be able to use anything in a situation? The first thing that must be programmed starting with day one is the will...the will to act so the person will act.

Without the will to act, no matter what "skill" is acquired over any time if there is no will to act, the person will not act.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A few years.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMO, it takes:

- 6 months to develop any "general" technique.
- 3 years to develop any "door guarding" technique.

So let me ask you this, if it takes 3 years on the average to develop a "door guarding" technique, how often would somebody be training during those three years? Once a week, twice a week, three times a week? And how long would their training sessions be?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So let me ask you this, if it takes 3 years on the average to develop a "door guarding" technique, how often would somebody be training during those three years? Once a week, twice a week, three times a week? And how long would their training sessions be?
When you train your "door guarding" technique, you should train "everyday". Usually these kind of techniques will require a lot of training time. The more time that you can put in daily, the better result that you can get out of it.

3 years may sound like a long time, but it's really not that long. No matter how many years that may take to to "develop" it, you will spend the rest of your life time to "maintain" it.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Industry standard on door guarding technique is a day.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
not every technique takes years to learn.
To "learn" and to "develop" are 2 different things. You may learn how to throw a punch (technique) in 1 day. But to develop your maximum punching power (ability) will take much longer time.

Just cut and paste the following statement from someone's post.

"In TKD, it takes 4 to 8 years to you get high kicks and really good at kicking. Where you kicks are really fast."

IMO, for the skill development time,

punch < lock < kick < throw

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To "learn" and to "develop" are 2 different things. You may learn how to throw a punch (technique) in 1 day. But to develop your maximum punching power (ability) will take much longer time.

Just cut and paste the following statement from someone's post.

"In TKD, it takes 4 to 8 years to you get high kicks and really good at kicking. Where you kicks are really fast."

IMO, for the skill development time,

punch < lock < kick < throw
I was going on the statement below. "... does it take to develop practical skills (reliably doable in a "fight") I don't have to develop maximum punching power in order for that technique to be reliable in a fight. I only need to be able to do it well enough that I can actually do it and rely on it in a fight. A persons development of a technique is totally different. The ability to rely on that technique depends on the person's ability to learn it. Some people learn it one day some people take longer. This is me speaking from experience of actually learning it in 1 day and by day 2 I felt comfortable enough that I could land it on someone's face. As an instructor I've seen people learn the same kind of technique in one day as well.
If a person can do this much with their arms in a fight, then I can teach that person in one day how to correctly throw some of the punches that Jow Ga uses. After one day of training and hitting the pads, these girls would feel comfortable with using some of the Jow Ga Punches in a real fight. I can't speak for other fighting systems, but at least for Jow Ga there are some techniques that don't take long to learn.

Lameman

Green Belt
Reaction score
It takes 5min to teach someone how to fight. It takes a lifetime to be proficient. I've spent 20 - 30 hours a week for 29 years. Am I proficient? You learn new things, lose others. Get injured and find you can't do things you used to do with ease. You just keep training. You'll know what you know. And only time will tell, how well.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A person may also be proficient in one area (say punching) and have no skills what so ever in another (kicking). Here you have 2 fighters. One only has punching skills, the other has both punching and kicking skills.

Here's another video where a proficient fighter basically gets beat by one technique

I don't know how much skill is needed to knee someone, but people have been able to knee someone use effectively without any training. It's also one of those standard self defense techniques that are taught because it's easy to do and women feel comfortable with doing in a fight even if they don't train the technique

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I so wish that were true.
lol.. he didn't say you'll be a good fighter in 5 minutes. Here are some future Hung Ga students who could benefit from a one day lesson on how to jab. Thant how to use the other hand lol

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Everyone's different.

On average, it takes say four months to be able to have a plan in sparring and maybe land a hit. To get a general idea of the system as a whole, about a year. To become a good swordsman in the Liechtenauer system will probably take three years of good training. Naturally athletic people can do it much faster. Give me a good wrestler and I can make him into a ferocious (albeit not technically sophisticated) swordsman in 8 months to a year. Hockey players also seem to make good swordsmen... body awareness and the ability to use a tool well are very handy. If you can handle a puck on the ice, you can handle a sword. Am I ever Canadian.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It takes 5min to teach someone how to fight. It takes a lifetime to be proficient. I've spent 20 - 30 hours a week for 29 years. Am I proficient? You learn new things, lose others. Get injured and find you can't do things you used to do with ease. You just keep training. You'll know what you know. And only time will tell, how well.

How does that break down over a week?

Is that on top of school or a job?

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My martial arts system (JKD concepts or JKD/Kali) is supposed to be very practical no nonsense, but its also vast in what techniques and systems it draws on. My first instructor tended to focus on stick fighting and knife fighting (stereotypical Kali) parts of our system. I spent the first 6-12 months on this and did not feel I was ready for a typical self defense situation.

My current instructor (we have several at our school) focuses more on boxing/striking/kicking aspects of my system - including sparing and street combat drills. After a year with him I feel I have some basic real world skills now.

In fairness to the other instructor - the stick fighting stuff did/has helped with body movements, angles, and coordination. That other instructor also did help me understand basic boxing - jab, cross, hook, etc.

Bottom line - For me coming in at a later age, with poor body movement/coordination skills, I think a year was needed under the right instructor to have "some" skills. I have seen other newer and younger students come in and get to where I am in half the time.

Last edited:

Lameman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Drop Bear, I try to do 2 hours a day at home, That's about 10 hours a week. I also have an active job that uses a lot of the same movements that I use when fighting. Out of 36 working hours, I get another 10 - 20 hours from that.

OP
Jaeimseu

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
100% if they are thanking you. It can be something as simple as side stepping off the line of attack.
This is, of course, true, but I think it's also pretty generic. I don't mean that it's bad, just that I wouldn't really consider that using my system. I think that's something that a lot of people may come to the school knowing how to do. Not all, certainly, and maybe not well, but still already able.

I suspect that most adult males come to the martial arts school with some idea of how to throw a punch. Again, not well, but pretty much every guy I know has been in at least one scrap sometime in his life, even if it was just fighting with a sibling as a kid.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Drop Bear, I try to do 2 hours a day at home, That's about 10 hours a week. I also have an active job that uses a lot of the same movements that I use when fighting. Out of 36 working hours, I get another 10 - 20 hours from that.

Y

Yeah I thought thirty hours might be a bit rugged. Our guys will do about 12 a week and it will be a pretty big commitment.