How much of what you learn can you actually use in a real fight?

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I watched a video with Paul Vunak. In this video he was showing all kinds of arm deflections, gunting and
so on. When he demonstrated these techniques everything looked practical and fool proof. But this was
all static. His partner was standing in front of him and punching.

And then later he simulated a real fight which was not static. They both put on protection equipment and then
they were both moving quickly like in boxing or mua thai.

Now the thing which I noticed was that during this short simulation I could not see ANY of the fancy techniques
which he showed before! None of this stuff even seemed applicable. Then what is this good for in the first place!?

Why learn all these deflections if none of them can be used in a real fight where everything is non-static?

`This really bothers me.

These deflections which he showed would probably work well in a static situation like for example if the attacker just stands there and throws a punch or if you're being attacked in an elevator.

But when it's more like a real fight and the attacker has lots of space and dances around you and throws many fast punches then these deflections simply don't seem to work.

What's your take on this? Do you also notice this?

I even read at a website of a wing chun school that only VERY little of the techniques which you learn in wing chun can actually be applied in a real fight!

Then why spend hours upon hours perfecting techniques which are useless in a fight?!

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well for me personally, fighting on the street is only a very very small part of why I do Martial Arts (and given how I live it will probably never happen). Why spend hours upon hours perfecting techniques which are useless in a "real" fight? Because it's fun and fulfilling for me. It's why I do weapons training and archery. I am never going to be in a situation where I am fighting someone wielding a sword (I hope not anyway) so by your logic I shouldn't bother learning sword techniques.

Once again you miss the point of learning and practicing a Martial Art.

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
First of all, I have noticed this. But right now the style I take is Taekwondo with 5 years of training and getting a black belt October 2016. I can tell you when I got into a fight against a street fight I wiped up the floors with him and was suspended for the rest of the school year which had 2 weeks. So how much of it works? To me all of it will work with enough practice. Use resistance in your training. Just going to say that these are opinions and I'm not trying to teach you because I don't know you, your ranks, or anything like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
First of all, I have noticed this. But right now the style I take is Taekwondo with 5 years of training and getting a black belt October 2016. I can tell you when I got into a fight against a street fight I wiped up the floors with him and was suspended for the rest of the school year which had 2 weeks. So how much of it works? To me all of it will work with enough practice. Use resistance in your training. Just going to say that these are opinions and I'm not trying to teach you because I don't know you, your ranks, or anything like that.

It's easy to know his rank. He's the one below white belt he looks to talk like he knows a lot but refuses to train

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's easy to know his rank. He's the one below white belt he looks to talk like he knows a lot but refuses to train

Well wow. What a waste of time, me answering his question if he can't even train

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting for my son as we are going out to lunch so I'll waste a bit of time on this until he gets here.
I watched a video with Paul Vunak. In this video he was showing all kinds of arm deflections, gunting and
so on. When he demonstrated these techniques everything looked practical and fool proof.

Well, the thing is...it is for him because he's trained it, he started as a beginner and has worked his way up to the knowledge he has now.

And then later he simulated a real fight which was not static. They both put on protection equipment and then

Gosh, that is AMAZING! imagine moving around quickly, who'd have thought you could do that eh. Wonderful. (PS it's Muay Thai)

This really bothers me.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Right chaps, I'm off for lunch.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can use all of it. Every single thing I have ever learned.
Of course, I got off by *** and actually trained, so that won't apply to you.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can use all of it. Every single thing I have ever learned.
Of course, I got off by *** and actually trained, so that won't apply to you.
He can use everything he knows in a fight to. All he has to do is do nothing and then he's used everything he knows

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so on. When he demonstrated these techniques everything looked practical and fool proof. But this was
all static. His partner was standing in front of him and punching.

Now the thing which I noticed was that during this short simulation I could not see ANY of the fancy techniques
which he showed before! None of this stuff even seemed applicable. Then what is this good for in the first place!?

Why learn all these deflections if none of them can be used in a real fight where everything is non-static?

`This really bothers me.

These deflections which he showed would probably work well in a static situation like for example if the attacker just stands there and throws a punch or if you're being attacked in an elevator.

But when it's more like a real fight and the attacker has lots of space and dances around you and throws many fast punches then these deflections simply don't seem to work.

What's your take on this? Do you also notice this?

I even read at a website of a wing chun school that only VERY little of the techniques which you learn in wing chun can actually be applied in a real fight!

Then why spend hours upon hours perfecting techniques which are useless in a fight?!
Just because you can't see them, that doesn't mean they aren't there. You have zero experience. None. That means you have no basis for pattern recognition.

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well wow. What a waste of time, me answering his question if he can't even train

It's obvious kehcorps knows that some people here dislike him and that he definitely has issues about training but there is nothing wrong with asking questions and retaining information is there?
why is it a waste of time answering a simple question? People took the time to click his link, read his post and then took more time to respond negatively about how they are wasting their time insulting him..why not answer his question and make a positive post with a positive end result, instead of complaining how you voluntarily wasted your time reading and posting on his threads.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's obvious kehcorps knows that some people here dislike him and that he definitely has issues about training but there is nothing wrong with asking questions and retaining information is there?
why is it a waste of time answering a simple question? People took the time to click his link, read his post and then took more time to respond negatively about how they are wasting their time insulting him..why not answer his question and make a positive post with a positive end result, instead of complaining how you voluntarily wasted your time reading and posting on his threads.
You have made an interesting observation.. Out of curiosity, can I ask why do you imagine people do this?

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You have made an interesting observation.. Out of curiosity, can I ask why do you imagine people do this?
In my opinion, to learn some thing maybe, you don't have to actually "DO" some thing to know how its done. i try to learn some thing new every day even if it is some thing i will never be able to do. Knowledge is all we are.

Most people make judgements of other people based on no or limited facts, for all we know kehcorpz, despite what he has posted about himself, could be a paraplegic and is too embarrassed to say but still wishes to learn some thing, IDRK but the fact is, is some people here are being rude and negative and in my eyes not giving the guy the common courtesy of just answering his question.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my opinion, to learn some thing maybe, you don't have to actually "DO" some thing to know how its done. i try to learn some thing new every day even if it is some thing i will never be able to do. Knowledge is all we are.

Most people make judgements of other people based on no or limited facts, for all we know kehcorpz, despite what he has posted about himself, could be a paraplegic and is too embarrassed to say but still wishes to learn some thing, IDRK but the fact is, is some people here are being rude and negative and in my eyes not giving the guy the common courtesy of just answering his question.
Maybe that might show posters another possible side of things. Or maybe not. Perhaps there are also reasons why people lose patience with others. Possibly not the place to ask and but I will ask anyway because I am interested because the tenor of your reply deviates from the others.. why is it you care over the response to kehcorpz on here? x

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

What I've learned from posting on here is that the regular (and very experienced) Martial Arts that respond to these posts is that they are very willing to answer questions, but they don't take kindly to people who claim false knowledge about the arts, particularly ones they have trained in. Kehcorpz has a reputation on here for making judgements and wild statements based on things that he has no real knowledge about. Here's a wonderful example of his work:

I think this here is way better than wing chun

That's why the regular posters no longer take him seriously or give him the time of day, because all he ever does is claim false knowledge on arts he has never practiced, and whenever asked if he is going to start training, makes endless excuses as to why he can't.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the beginning posters here have taken time to answer as honestly and as best they can the OP's questions. He was treated as any beginner would be, he led us to believe he was looking for an art to train in and didn't know much about martial arts. However as he posted more and more it became obvious that he was asking questions that had already been answered and he was as Midnight-shadow says, telling us he knew more than we did in our respective arts and just posting for the sake of posting. People who responded with kindness and were helpful were made to feel used and at times abused when he disrespected some arts, there's no excuse for that under any circumstances.
The OP has had more time spent on answering his questions often repeatedly than anyone else on here that I can remember ( and that's ten years here), he has has sympathetic posts back to him, he's had understanding, help and respect yet all he does is throw it back at people. Whatever or whoever he is no one here deserves the treatment he gives out, many people spent time explaining things to him after he asked, well he's still asking the same questions and patience is wearing thin. I doubt that any other site would have been so accommodating towards him.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an example of why people are getting less patient with the OP. I'm not a boxer though I can box, I was taught by my father when I was young, nor am I do I train Aikido though I know a few techniques they also do but really I would be more than a little annoyed if I were by these comments. How he know these things about the styles mystifies me because he hasn't trained any of them. I do think this is telling though '' I
need something which also looks cool and interesting.'' The 'cool' bit tells me it's more than likely he's playing games and trolling here, if he wants SD why does it have to be 'cool'?

Hi folks.

Aikido is out of the race. I heard that for self defense it's not really helpful and that the stuff doesn't work in real life.

Also the injury risk seems to high to me.

Atm I am considering krav maga. But I'm not sure if this is really interesting enough for me. I need something which also
looks cool and interesting. Otherwise it would just bore me like boxing. Boxing is so boring I'd never want to learn it.

Latest Discussions