How much doe do you regularly spend on a knife?

Do usually spend between

• $0-25

• $25-50

• $50-100

• $100-300

• $300-500

• $500 and up

Results are only viewable after voting.

James Clifton

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Mostly $150-$250.I do not scrimp on steel.Carry a Gunting & an Emerson Karambit!
Jim

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have had to ditch knives before (walking toward the metal detectors at six flags when I realized i still had it in my pocket. TRash can it is...)

I usually go between 25-100 but realistically 25-45. The best knife I own is a gerber EZ-Out. Bought it for forty 5 years ago and have never had a problem. Now they have the skeletonized model that reduces the wieght of the blade and it doesn't feel right. Too bad....that is a great knife.

Regards,
Walt

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seems like every knife I spent more than $100 on ends up being of lower quality than the ones I've spent about $70 on. There are a few exceptions. But let me say this, don't waste your money on a Strider. Possibly one of the most overrated knives on the market IMO.

Jeff

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm, I've had my eye on an Emerson Mini (~$179) once my blade trainng gets a little better but from what I'm hearing from you guys it sounds like I can still get a helluva good knife for a lot less green.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You sure can. Check out Cold Steel, CRKT, and Kershaw, just to name a few. But Emmersons stuff sure is pretty.

Jeff

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I recently attended a seminar with GT Leo Gaje and he was wearing two Cold Steel knives that I could see. If you go to Cold Steel they have some videos that display some of the hard testing they put their knives through.

Regards,
Walt

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
Hmmm, I've had my eye on an Emerson Mini (~$179) once my blade trainng gets a little better but from what I'm hearing from you guys it sounds like I can still get a helluva good knife for a lot less green.

The mini-commander? You can find them online for under $100, and BTW great choice, thats what I usually carry.

Lamont

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that you can find a very nice knife for around $75! Some of the pricier ones are not always the best for everyday use. That is what I think about when I buy a knife. Will I be able to use it everyday to open up tape on packages,cardboard boxes, kid's toys packaged in hard plastic, cut rope, etc. I want a working knife. I have had success with Gerber and even more recently (yesterday) with winchester (my boy gave me a folder for Christmas) however CRKT, Cold Steel, Emmerson and a few others make very nice blades in that $75 range. (those are the ones I would really recommend in the mid level range)

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have 1 nice Knife and it was a gift. would spend about 5.00 on a knife, only because if i ever really used it. I would leave it in the person i used it on...it would be my gift to them for trying to hurt my kids or wife...
in a true life issue. My 2 cents...

kosho

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've spent anywhere from $5 to $400 on a knife. I only carry the inexpensive one's. The more expensive one's are more for collecting.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just shelled out $90 for the Wagner/Böker tactical folder... scary blade!

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've spent as little as $5 and as much as $900. It depends upon what role I have planned for the knife and how well it is designed and executed in order to create the knife.

Lately, I've been leaning heavily toward custom knives of my design; therefore, you're looking at at least $250 for a very simple design of an easily workable steel and heat treat process. If you want decent damascus or exotic tool steels and difficult to grind designs using strange handle materials with popular knife makers start piling on the cash.

And you know what? If you know what you asking for in a knife, it's worth every penny.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Though I have higher priced knives, my primary knife is a S&W Cuttin' Horse 3.5" hawkbill. Bought it for $22 and found I can get it for cheaper. Low maintenance, and good for rope cutting. Blade draw action is medium (not loose, not tight).

I keep my few pricier knives at home.

avm247

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My daily carry is a Benchmade $85 or so. I also have a pair of regular and serrated Spyderco Endura blades $60/ea. I no longer carry a Gerber EZ Out (but that's in the trunk). Also have a 3.5" CRKT fixed blade that is a daily carry.

As far as fixed go, I have a couple of custom 6" SOG bowies made by a former coworker at $275/ea and a Mad Dog ATAK 2 at $250. The 6" SOGs are too nice, the Mad Dog is a beauty, one I would not hesitate using because that was what it was designed for: to be used.

I really want a Randall.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I spend between 50 and 100 a month and when I see one that I really like it could go as high as 200 a month.

RBaddorf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Voted for the $100-300 range.
Most of the time I spend around $100-200. Everyday carry is a Benchmade 943 or 940 (depending on the day). Just got my wife a Lonewolf Double Duty for her birthday ($280.00) though. Nice, opens as a normal tac. folder or as an auto. I think she still preferrs her Benchmade Griptillian though.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I voted $50-$100. I buy alot of Cold Steel stuff, & I enjoy the CS Parking Lot sale every year.
I bought a CRKT S-2 a while back, got it brand new ,in the box, from someone that owed me $40, come to find out I made out on the deal.
I buy big stuff sometimes, & have have a CS Trailmaster & Gurka Kukri. NICE!
I am looking at getting an Ontario RTAK or RAT-7 soon.

Latest Discussions