How much do national/international level athletes train?

spinny

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One of my students asked me, "How much do national/international level athletes train?"

I assume it would be a few hours every day, but I've really no idea. How would you answer that?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
HAd occasion to speak to a few. Arlene Limas was one.

Answers seem to be about 6-8 hours a day 6-7 days a week, but if they train 7 days one is typicaly a "Light" day.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
They ramp up. They may start off with just 4 times a week 2 hours each day. But then they will get to a 5-6 day schedule. They will do 3 sessions each day. Each session will be 1-2 hours so it could be 6 hours but sometimes they make a session a light session. It may go something like this.

Session 1. morning - Road work, running 3-6 miles, plyos, iso exercises, stretching.

Session 2. afternoon - Techniques/Condition - paddle kicking and foot work, light sparring or moving, more iso exersises, stretch again.

Session 3. Evening - Techniques/Condition - more paddle and shield work, sparring (light to heavy), more iso stuff, stretch.

This is a simple break down as there are more details involved but this is the jist of it. Even our Jr's do this to a lesser extent.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
At the same time, how many hours a day should you train if you want to excel at the martial arts, even if you're not a competition athlete? Hmm, I might be straying OT. Let me know if you think this should be its own thread.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First the sport side, I believe two to three hours per day everyday. I mean the sport is demanding and that is why we have different levels for the elite and the world class.

Dancingalone for your question maybe 1.5-2.0 hours four to five days a week should be enough, I would prefer everyday for 1.5 hours but I will likely never get that.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
25 hrs per week...can go up and down based on when you are trying to peak...
you have to have rest periods and slow down times so that your body can recover...it is very important that you are able re-cooperate to reach peak performance...at the highest levels how you train makes all the difference as talent levels are nearly the same...how to strategically plan your training makes all the difference in the world...The strategic planning that goes in to training is very much a trade secret on our team...everything else we share and will work with others...

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dancingalone for your question maybe 1.5-2.0 hours four to five days a week should be enough, I would prefer everyday for 1.5 hours but I will likely never get that.

Terry, I'm afraid I asked a bit of a loaded question. Anyway, I think the number is actually much more.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
...talent levels are nearly the same...how to strategically plan your training makes all the difference in the world...The strategic planning that goes in to training is very much a trade secret on our team...everything else we share and will work with others...
That is it in a nutshell. Someone can train 30-40 hours or more a week, but it is all about the strategic planning that each school covets that make the difference. So the number of hours are really not the key. Just like in NASCAR all the cars are basiclly the same, So why do the same people always win? Strateic planning is why.

TKD'oh

White Belt
Reaction score
They ramp up. They may start off with just 4 times a week 2 hours each day. But then they will get to a 5-6 day schedule. They will do 3 sessions each day. Each session will be 1-2 hours so it could be 6 hours but sometimes they make a session a light session. It may go something like this.

Session 1. morning - Road work, running 3-6 miles, plyos, iso exercises, stretching.

Session 2. afternoon - Techniques/Condition - paddle kicking and foot work, light sparring or moving, more iso exersises, stretch again.

Session 3. Evening - Techniques/Condition - more paddle and shield work, sparring (light to heavy), more iso stuff, stretch.

This is a simple break down as there are more details involved but this is the jist of it. Even our Jr's do this to a lesser extent.

This may be a little OT and it's probably a dumb question, but- when you say "iso stuff" are you referring to isometric exercises? I'm not super familiar with the term and had to Google it. Just wondering what type of exercises they might be and if you had any examples? Thanks!

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
25 hrs per week...can go up and down based on when you are trying to peak...
you have to have rest periods and slow down times so that your body can recover...it is very important that you are able re-cooperate to reach peak performance...at the highest levels how you train makes all the difference as talent levels are nearly the same...how to strategically plan your training makes all the difference in the world...The strategic planning that goes in to training is very much a trade secret on our team...everything else we share and will work with others...

This is called "periodization" and is very important. One can't do the same thing all the time and expect to get better. There are phases in the training which incorporate various levels of conditioning, technical development, strategy, etc. all designed for the athlete to peak at the time of the competition. I don't have any elite athletes but I try to incorporate these concepts into our training so that if anyone is interested in tournaments, they are hitting their stride at the right time. Hopefully it also makes classes more interesting to "shuffle the deck" every so often.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
This may be a little OT and it's probably a dumb question, but- when you say "iso stuff" are you referring to isometric exercises? I'm not super familiar with the term and had to Google it. Just wondering what type of exercises they might be and if you had any examples? Thanks!
Yes, isometric type exercises. They are simple exercises that when combined with normal dynamic type exercises can really help develop powerful movements.

Some simple iso type exercises are wall squats, side bridges, forearm planks, and some other simple yoga poses. They are designed to help with core and other muscle development. The forearm plank is one good one for the core. Simply hold the position for 45-60 seconds for a set of 3-5.

Hope this helps.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is called "periodization" and is very important. One can't do the same thing all the time and expect to get better. There are phases in the training which incorporate various levels of conditioning, technical development, strategy, etc. all designed for the athlete to peak at the time of the competition. I don't have any elite athletes but I try to incorporate these concepts into our training so that if anyone is interested in tournaments, they are hitting their stride at the right time. Hopefully it also makes classes more interesting to "shuffle the deck" every so often.

I have never heard of the term "periodization"...Now I know what to call it...We had always referred to it as "Peaking"...Yours sounds more professional...
I like it! You learn something new everyday and today you provided me with some knowledge...Thanks

First Action

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I honestly have no background for this, but I'm assuming athletes train like its a full time job. The true champions would train much more... and when physically resting they probably train their mind... and eating right and dreaming about there sport while sleeping probably... they don't stop training then, they probably even read a trade mag in their field while they take a dump.

OP
S

spinny

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, everyone.

So to make sure I'm understanding correctly, it ranges between a half-time to full-time job. 20-40 hours/week. And workouts are scheduled to allow the athlete to be their best for important tournaments.

I understand if no one wants to divulge the secrets of their dojang, but does anyone know of public resources (online articles, books, etc.) they'd recommend that discuss periodization in regard to taekwondo?

Latest Discussions