Bolley Kick?

Msby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
To those who are unfamiliar with this move, it's also known as 540 roundhouse or Turning roundhouse( Tornado kick) landed on the foot you kick with.
I've been trying to figure out how it came to be and why it is landed on the kicking foot. In Wushu (don't know what styles specifically though) there is a similar kick (although using a crescent kick) known as "Whirlwind kick" (旋风脚) that is also landed on the kicking foot.

Here's what I figure the reason might be...

1. It's a cool looking demo kick :ultracool

2. When using it as an attack to the head, it's a "sacrifice kick" which results in both fighters falling because the user's foot can't complete the spin.

3. When using it as an attack to the head, the kick is powerful enough to hit the head and complete the movement by landing! :eye-popping: ouch!

4. It's a training drill to make the turning roundhouse (tornado kick) more powerful. Ever since I learned the Bolley kick, it seems like my tornado kick has gotten stronger. I think it might be the habit of turning the hips more to land on my kicking foot that transferred over to the tornado kick that did it.

Thoughts?

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I see it as an athletic training move, one of those techniques that is useful for developing balance, agility and control rather than as a terminal (finishing) technique.

It's a philosophical issue as to whether you choose to spend your time only on effective terminal techniques or stretch your athletic boundaries to moves that may be challenging to execute but not really useful in a fight.

I agree that you 'fight the way you train', but also know that play is nature's way of building ability--fun, challenge, and experimentation are important ways to stretch your strengths and your limits.

Carl

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
This tornado kick is a beautiful one for the show, when executed without a flaw, yes I will like to do it, however age and body don't allow me.

In tournament can be a desbasting kick if done correctly if not you are in trouble, and as you had say it's a sacrifice kick.

I am a person who likes MA for self defense pourposes and that's why I favored simple things or smart things, that's why I will never use fancy/flashy kicks in a confrontation.

Some times I look at the young people in the dojang trying to perform correctly this tornado kick but they not realize they don't even do the basic spining kicks properly, so basically they fail to execute the flashy kicks cause they don't have the balance and correct tech to do the easy ones.

Manny

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I see it as an athletic training move, one of those techniques that is useful for developing balance, agility and control rather than as a terminal (finishing) technique.

It's a philosophical issue as to whether you choose to spend your time only on effective terminal techniques or stretch your athletic boundaries to moves that may be challenging to execute but not really useful in a fight.

I agree that you 'fight the way you train', but also know that play is nature's way of building ability--fun, challenge, and experimentation are important ways to stretch your strengths and your limits.

Carl

I suppose stretching the boundaries of athletic ability is always a good thing. It makes the simple moves easier, too.

I see the entertainment value of a tornado kick, but being limited in the athletic ability department (and ever increasing age) I stick to a simple spin in practice - of which I can see the value in a real confrontation by getting momentum up in a restricted space.

I don't see the practical value of landing on your kicking foot tho: you make contact you could also hurt the foot, not to mention the disruption of timing. Even the Karate Kid landed on the other foot...;)

Muntman

White Belt
Reaction score
I like the sound of this kick especially for demo purposes. but can i ask about the mechanics of this kick?

I only ask the for the mechanics because i have a understanding (although limited) of a 540 kick with the heel. so how would you execute this properly, and what is the best way to train your body to move in this way

OP
Msby

Msby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Interesting... Is this the ONLY kick that lands on the kicking foot? :confused:

I like the sound of this kick especially for demo purposes. but can i ask about the mechanics of this kick?

I only ask the for the mechanics because i have a understanding (although limited) of a 540 kick with the heel. so how would you execute this properly, and what is the best way to train your body to move in this way

It's at 3:15, and I believe he would hook kick with his left leg at around 3:46 to make it a "540 Hook Kick"
[yt]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/duwThirtGsQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/duwThirtGsQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Ive been looking for a GOOD vid to help me learn this kick properly! Well not the tornado but the turning round....This is one kick I cant seem to properly execute! Im a "hopper" and Im pretty slow at it....so now Im going to my Dojang today and Im going to try to see if I can get this down finally LOL!

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Did I miss something in that video or maybe we have dirrefent names of the kick.

What I saw on the video was a tornado round house kick, where the kicking part of the foot is an intstep. In hook kicks, you kick with the heel. Here's a link to 540 degree spinning hook kick tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLm9ccDW5Zk

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting... Is this the ONLY kick that lands on the kicking foot? :confused:

It's at 3:15, and I believe he would hook kick with his left leg at around 3:46 to make it a "540 Hook Kick"
[yt]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/duwThirtGsQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/duwThirtGsQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]
Yeah this is a turning roundhouse or Tornado kick not a 540. The 540 will have you kick and land with the same leg. The 540 is a demo kick and would not be used in sparring. This kick or the turning roundhouse is used in sparring.

OP
Msby

Msby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Did I miss something in that video or maybe we have dirrefent names of the kick.

What I saw on the video was a tornado round house kick, where the kicking part of the foot is an intstep. In hook kicks, you kick with the heel. Here's a link to 540 degree spinning hook kick tutorial:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLm9ccDW5Zk

Some people call the kick in the video I posted a 540 Roundhouse kick, but I try to avoid mentioning "540" when talking about it due to possible confusion with the "540 Hook kick."
the time I typed for the video I posted was a bit late, but what I was trying to say was that if he did a hook kick with his left foot and kept the right leg bent, it would be a complete TKD 540. (Although I've seen people doing two or three kicks in midair also :ultracool)

P.S. kwonkicker makes great videos!
Yeah this is a turning roundhouse or Tornado kick not a 540. The 540 will have you kick and land with the same leg. The 540 is a demo kick and would not be used in sparring. This kick or the turning roundhouse is used in sparring.
The kick demonstrated for the majority of the video is the Tornado kick, but exercise at the end shows him landing on the kicking foot. Unless I'm totally missing something :confused:

A-wal

White Belt
Reaction score
This is hands down my favourite move but I can't get anywhere near to being able to do it, and I'm a really good kicker. I couldn't care less how practical it is, I'm not into martial arts for self-defence.

Any hints would be appreciated because I'd love to be able to do the beautiful techneique but I think maybe I just can't jump well enough to pull it off.

Obito Uchiha

White Belt
Reaction score
The bolley kick reminds me of the flying side kick - more for technique/style, not much for offense.

But they both still pack a very strong punch.