How many forms . . .

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
rainbows said:
I've never done any of the other TKD patterns (taegeuks/palgwe), but I really like the ITF patterns. In competitions I do Toi Gye, I'm not a big fan of Hwa Rang for tournaments. I'll be doing Choong Moo as soon as I learn it (only passed black tag yesterday :))

Chung Mu is a good form for tournaments. It has a flying side kick, and a 360° plus other techniques that are more difficult. My master said he won with that one alot. It did take me awhile to learn. Congrats on your promotion!! TW

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
doc clean said:
Tigerwoman,

I'm guessing that when I say 'kibbon' and you say 'Key Bon' we are talking about the same thing. I think it is interesting how there are so many different English spellings for the Korean pronounciations.

I'm curious about two things.

If you are WTF, why are the ITF forms included?

From your post, it looks like at your dojang, a student would start at white belt/1st Gup and work there way to black belt recommended/10th Gup. Do you count up instead of down for the Gup ranks?

When it comes to many Korean martial arts terms, there is often a lack of standardized spelling. One might look to the WTF and ITF for those, but not everyone references them.

A number of WTF schools practice ITF forms. Some instructors in the WTF used to be in the ITF. Some are affiliated with both, or so I've heard. At my school the standard forms are the Palgue/Palgwe/Pahl-gue forms (see what I mean?). However; I started out with the ITF forms and have students do them from time to time. They're often better for competition.

Most schools I've encountered do indeed count backwards from 10 to 1 when going through the gup/kup (pick one) ranks. That isn't locked in stone. If an instructor wants to do it the other way...all power to him. It doesn't really matter. Ten is ten, whether counted in a descending or ascending progression.

Regards,

Steve

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mithios said:
Michigan TKD, Actually the I.T.F. also forms emphasize more, waist action, deeper stances, and more powerfull techniques! with more emphasis on thrust techniques and not snap. Or at least the original way they are suppose to be done. If you are talking about the way the I.T.F. is doing them now, with the up and down sine wave movement. Then i would have to agree :) Mithios

It's still there if you do it right.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
um we do the ITF and then the taguks (sp) and im not sure what happens after black cus i really havent gotten around to asking what they are called but they look really cool

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Once again, our forms by rank...

White belt: Kukmu 1 and Kukmu 2 (they resemble what I've seen of the kibbons).
Yellow belt: Pyong-an 1 and Pyong-an 2
Green belt: Pyong-an 2 (again- it's not an easy form at this level) and Pyong-an 3 (a.k.a. the "funky rooster mating dance).
Purple belt: Pyong-an 4 and Pyong-an 5
Brown belt: Chul-gi 1 ("Iron Horse") and Pal-sek (Bassai)
1st dan: Sip-soo and Chul-gi 2
2nd dan: Yan-bi
3rd dan: Jion (pronounced Ja-un, I think)
4th dan: an extended version of Jion

...and that's as far as I know of.

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
Marginal said:
It's still there if you do it right.
True, True! But most of the modern I.T.F. people i have seen seem to focus more on the sine wave now, and forget about the rest. That doe's not mean they are all that way, just the one's i have seen. Mithios

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What "it" are you talking about? Generally we already do deeper stances. But I agree there is more waist action in ITF forms. I still do the snap kicks though. Would this be counted down by ITF judges at tournaments? I don't do the sine wave either, actually never shown it although I know what it is now. Would they look for this too? Just curious, as I like to do Kwang Gye now for form. My instructor told me to do Koryo, our bb form if the judges are WTF mostly but who can tell in an open. TW

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
What "it" are you talking about?

In that case, I was talking about generating power from the hip motion. A lot of people think that the down-up-down motion supplants the hips for generating power, but it's supposed to compliment it.

Generally we already do deeper stances. But I agree there is more waist action in ITF forms. I still do the snap kicks though. Would this be counted down by ITF judges at tournaments? I don't do the sine wave either, actually never shown it although I know what it is now. Would they look for this too? Just curious, as I like to do Kwang Gye now for form. My instructor told me to do Koryo, our bb form if the judges are WTF mostly but who can tell in an open. TW

An ITF or USTF judge would be looking for sine wave with an ITF form. Main thing the judges would look for in kicks is proper tool, and whether or not you got full retraction between consecutive kicks etc. Ideally, the kicks would be done exactly as listed, but snappiness creeps in at all levels from the tournaments I've seen. Proper attack height (eye level for high kicks, shoulder level for mid strikes except with front kicks where mid's solar plexus etc.) should play a role too, but a lot of judges go for flash instead of proper target, so that's a tossup.

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear Practicioners of the Chang Hon (Chon-Ji) hyungs,

Do you learn/teach pattern Juche, Kodang, or both?

We do both out of respect for the traditional set as well as the "advancements" made later by the General, Choi Hong Hi.

TAEKWON!
Spookey

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Spookey said:
Dear Practicioners of the Chang Hon (Chon-Ji) hyungs,

Do you learn/teach pattern Juche, Kodang, or both?

We do both out of respect for the traditional set as well as the "advancements" made later by the General, Choi Hong Hi.

TAEKWON!
Spookey

No one answered Spookey's question, but it was my understanding (totally from hearsay) that many ITF instructors do not do the Juche tul because it allegedly is a North Korean philosophy (I believe it symbolizes "self-reliance")? Why was Kodang chosen to be removed from the curriculum?

TIA!

Miles

Gizmo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There is a very interesting text available on the net about Juche vs. Kodang, written by Mr Don Dalton 6th Dan, leader of the Irish United Taekwon-do Federation.

Juche vs. Kodang

My personal decision was that Juche Tul won't be taught in our school. We'll stay with Kodang. Being pretty independent, it's not much of a problem for us.

Regards

Gizmo

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gizmo said:
There is a very interesting text available on the net about Juche vs. Kodang, written by Mr Don Dalton 6th Dan, leader of the Irish United Taekwon-do Federation.

Juche vs. Kodang

My personal decision was that Juche Tul won't be taught in our school. We'll stay with Kodang. Being pretty independent, it's not much of a problem for us.

Regards

Gizmo
Thanks Gizmo, that was a fascinating read!

Miles

R

rainbows

Mr. Dalton's actually the head of my organisation... :asian:

Latest Discussions