How long uniforms last

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its been a little more than two and a half years since I bought a Tokaido uniform and by now it has just about had it. I've already tossed the pants and the top part is just about ready to go too. Supposedly Tokaido uniforms are among the best in the world, and they're certainly expensive, so I was hoping to get more life out of it. Anybody know of any brands that will last longer?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know of uniforms that have lasted decades -- and uniforms that didn't last a year. A lot depends on how you care for it, and what you use if for. If you're using a single uniform, training nearly daily... it's going to wear out faster. If you're wearing a karate student weight uniform in BJJ -- it's not going to last all that long. A BJJ weight uniform in ordinary karate/TKD? That might last forever!

Edit to add: You got 2 and half years out of one... That's not inconsequential, all by itself. Like I said -- it depends on how much you train in it, how you care for it...

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get heavy dobaks from MooSoolSa USA. I've got 3 of them. I wear them 3 days a week. I'll let you know when one wears out.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Like jks was mentioning, it really matters a lot what weight/materials and what art you're practicing. Next, just as important, is how you're washing it. While a hot water vigorous machine wash will give it the cleaning that it needs, it's also wearing it out just as much as your wearing it in practice is. I'm used to training in hot weather but I still think the heavier the better when it comes to gis. I sweat like a mofo anyways so it helps absorb the sweat. I also do grappling so it is constantly getting tugged on. The heavier material gives it a lot more longevity.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had ordinary, light/medium weight uniforms last many years, even when I was attending several (5-10 classes) per week (alternating two uniforms). We don't tug on them as much as Judo or BJJ (we use the body more than the garment), and we aren't as hard on the knees. I always took care in washing them.

When teaching, I don't put nearly as much wear and tear on a uniform, but I've been happy with the Gladiator single-weave I picked up from AWMA. I like it better than the (much more expensive) dogi I bought years ago from Bujin.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have no idea what Gi is best today. In 1998 I bought a Century, heavy weight, black, Ironman Gi, made in Korea (100 percent cotton) (just had to go and read the label) from a guy who no longer trained and was selling it cheap. I liked it so much I searched out another one. Wore the knees out of one pants, the other isn't even dented. Still on the first top. Good Gi. At least then.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mine survived about 8 years, used weekly (2-3x). But with repairs and not looking great at the end... 'White' brand, I guess.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When do you know it's time for a new gi?
I have two answers:
1) When the old one becomes embarrassing (too many/too obvious patches).
2) When I see one I really want.

My last dogi at my instructor's school was because of #1 (as were all the others there). The one I wear these days is because of #2.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have tried a lot of gi's by a lot of companies. I keep coming back to the good old medium weight brushed cotton Century with the elastic waistband. They last me about 2 years. Usually give up around the collar and sleeves, and mostly from just the fact that I wash mine after every use, unlike some real stinkers I could name.

The 'expensive' gi's I bought lasted about as long, but cost a lot more. So I will stick with the ones that don't cost the world and I'm happy to get 2 years out of them.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When do you know it's time for a new gi?

I replace when I begin to fear a crotch rip-out. Otherwise, I don't mind if my gi becomes a bit 'seasoned'. And I'm not shy; I don't really care if the wedding tackle goes skyclad, but others do seem to care, so I replace my gi's out of respect for them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replace when I begin to fear a crotch rip-out. Otherwise, I don't mind if my gi becomes a bit 'seasoned'. And I'm not shy; I don't really care if the wedding tackle goes skyclad, but others do seem to care, so I replace my gi's out of respect for them.
I had one tear out in the back in the middle of class one day. I think that's one of the reasons I wear my hakama so often now...

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its been a little more than two and a half years since I bought a Tokaido uniform and by now it has just about had it. I've already tossed the pants and the top part is just about ready to go too. Supposedly Tokaido uniforms are among the best in the world, and they're certainly expensive, so I was hoping to get more life out of it. Anybody know of any brands that will last longer?

Which model Tokaido? Tokaido has made in Japan gis, and Pakistan made gis. The Pakistani gis aren't nearly as good as the Japanese ones, so I'm lead to believe.

Everyone and I used to wear Century heavyweights at my former dojo. They'd last about 2 years or so. They'd get pretty disgusting looking in that time too - they'd turn yellow and gray.

Because we were college guys who lived at home and had a good amount of disposable income, a classmate and I bought expensive gis. He bought a Tokaido Ultimate, and I bought a Shureido K-10. Our sensei shook his head and asked why we'd ever buy gis that expensive.

I wore mine 4 nights/week, usually back to back classes. Washed it in warm water with bleach and machine dried it. Every night. About 3 years after, it was still as white as it ever was, minus a few drops of blood (which made me look tough). My sensei asked us one day if we bought more of them; nope, they were the original and only ones. I wore it for about 5 years, and it still looked really good and showed no signs of wearing out, minus the logo patch coming off. I left karate for grad school, and the Tokaido guy left for the police academy. Had I not left, I'd probably easily get another 5 years out of it. He probably would have too.

We didn't do much throwing/rolling/etc. I doubt it would hold up very long with full-on Judo type throws though.

I've heard Tokaido's quality declined a bit. I don't personally know anyone wearing a newer one (like made in the last few years), so all I know is what I've read online. And you know how that goes. I bought a Shureido K-11 about 7 months ago and the quality is just like I remember the K-10 was. I do however wash cold and hang dry.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bjj gis due to their popularity are moving into all sorts of super fabrics.

This is my courage gi. Which is some sort of rip stop light thing. It wouldn't be much thicker than a heavy karate gi.
IMG_20170221_135331.jpg
IMG_20170221_135426.jpg
IMG_20170221_135411.jpg

Now this is fight world clothing which isn't going to help you. But killer bee will do custom jobs.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bjj gis due to their popularity are moving into all sorts of super fabrics.

This is my courage gi. Which is some sort of rip stop light thing. It wouldn't be much thicker than a heavy karate gi.
View attachment 20402 View attachment 20401 View attachment 20403

Now this is fight world clothing which isn't going to help you. But killer bee will do custom jobs.
That looks like the fabric on the bottom half of my gi jacket (the top half is a single-weave, like a Judo gi). If it's a similar fabric, it's tough and relatively light (at least, compared to the rest of the jacket). I'd wear a jacket made entirely of that.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That looks like the fabric on the bottom half of my gi jacket (the top half is a single-weave, like a Judo gi). If it's a similar fabric, it's tough and relatively light (at least, compared to the rest of the jacket). I'd wear a jacket made entirely of that.

That is my first decent gi in a long time. They have come a long way from the old chunky cotton days.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Part of the wear and tear on a gi is how you wash it. I'd recommend never bleaching the gi. It will weaken the fabric over time, and can also make it stiff.

I'm a big fan of adding vinegar to the wash. Helps with funk, with stains and is kind awesome.

Those ripstop pants are nice and light, but I can't seem to get a pair to last more than a year.

Latest Discussions