How long should a combo be?

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was recently looking through some online thai boxing training sites and i noticed that especially in the western sites there was a tendency to list combos that they train that reached anything up to 16-21 hits?!?

This confused me since I i thought this was a little impractical since during a fight you would only tend to hit 5 hit at the most?

Never have I seen anyone land that number.

Is there a reason for training these long combos?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where they fighting schools or fitness schools?

Flow maybe, but certainly not something you'd use with someone that hit back.

That, or maybe they cross trained in Kenpo :lol:

*runs away*

OP
Odin

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Where they fighting schools or fitness schools?

Flow maybe, but certainly not something you'd use with someone that hit back.

That, or maybe they cross trained in Kenpo :lol:

*runs away*

LOL....

I saw some on the american thai boxing association website.

http ://www.thaiboxing.com/tba-technique5.php

and i have seen some on other sites.....i just dont get it.

Totally pointless.

I do think they are only for grading purposes but why give some one a positive mark or even teach them to do something that is totally pointless?

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Man if it took me 15 - 20 straight hits in a row to take someone out or knock them down I'd either throw in the gloves or top myself!!!

What a load of **** unless you're playing Teken!!! As said above, this can't apply to full contact serious fights. Personally I've got 20 or so moves I could string together into a 'formidable combo' but what's the point unless it's for fitness.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then again, someone might ask:

Why stop throwing techniques, unless it's because of fatigue? :)

You don't score any points or knockouts standing around looking the guy ;)

OP
Odin

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Man if it took me 15 - 20 straight hits in a row to take someone out or knock them down I'd either throw in the gloves or top myself!!!

What a load of **** unless you're playing Teken!!! As said above, this can't apply to full contact serious fights. Personally I've got 20 or so moves I could string together into a 'formidable combo' but what's the point unless it's for fitness.

Aswel I find that when fighting someone of the same level as me by about the 5th hit the combo should be intercepted of at least the target would have moved!...In compition if you just landed 8 shots without reply then the ref needs to step in.

darthcual

White Belt
Reaction score
In the early days when our Master was still with us it would not be uncommon for him to give us 9-14 hit combos. I believe the reasons are two-fold. One is to smoke you, for lack of a better word. Two, it takes incredible concentration once you get fatigued, to keep doing the combo correctly. So, it is a physical challenge aswell as mental. Now that the senior most student is our instructor we dont do those long combos anymore.

oddball

Orange Belt
Reaction score
maybe to help put together moves that normally aren't put together for beginners, or for more introductory purposes.
I think, for example, our combo 1 is just 4 moves, then our combo 5 is 4 more moves added to the end of combo 1.
This was useful when first starting for helping things flow together a little better, vs. just practicing one piece at a time; though the length at 10+ seems really absurd.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
4 or under is about as far as you should realistically push it.

That's one of Moynihan's laws of self defense; "The longer a movement sequence the greater the opportunity for the attacker to counter".

Now, doing those 4 or less and maybe practicing at throwing a few beyond it for conditioning or as a what-if type of deal isn't a bad thing, but I wouldn't be aiming for 8, 14, or 236-move combos as any realistic measuring stick for ring or street.

karate-dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Personally am a little tired of the Kenpo/Kempo digs. Combinations as taught in Kempo do go a bit, but no one thinks that you would really get in more than one or two strikes if you are doing them correctly. The reason more moves are shown and practiced is for learning and training purposes. No one says you could get in 5 or 6 shots unless you picked the guy up and had people hold him while you continued your combination. But we get something from all we do and learn by training.

darthcual

White Belt
Reaction score
If my opponent will let me, I will throw a 8,9, or 10 hit combo. If he just stands there, I will keep hitting him as much as it takes to make him hit the mat, or untill I've got nothing left. Take every opportunity to attack your opposition, because you may not get many. The cunning warrior attacks neither body nor mind, but the heart.

Latest Discussions