How long is your class?

F

Fortis

Hey folks,

My current Dojang's classes are 1 hour long twice a week (unless you pay for more than 2 classes, etc.). However, I have to change Dojangs because of a move. Classes at the main place I'm looking at only run 45 minutes (twice a week). This hardly seems long enough when 1 hour goes by awfully quickly already.

What are your class lengths?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One hour long class sessions. I can go in early and stay late, so its usually 1-1/2+ (I can go up to 9 classes wk) Good grief, it takes 10 min. minimum to just warm up and us "old" folks more than that! 45 is better than nothing though if you don't have a choice. Usually children's class is 45 because they don't have the attention span but I believe adult's should be a minimum of 60 min. – 30 min. for workout and 30 minutes for technique, forms, self defense etc.(TKD)

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

I also take TKD and am a trainee instructor of ATA TKD. So, I can go in as much as I want. Between helping teach and going to class: Monday 2 hrs teach, learn 1-1.5 hrs , Tuesday teach 2.5, learn 1-3(I go in the mornings and evenings), Wednesday learn 1.5-2 hrs , Thursday teach 3.5 hrs, learn 1-3(I go in the morning and evenings) hrs., Saturday teach 1-2 hrs, learn 1-2.5 hrs(depends on if we have an instructor workout or just a class). So I'm there about 9-15 hrs to learn, 9-10 hrs teaching/helping out in classes. I'm pretty active there.

That's not to mention the smaller responsibilities of attendance and attendence cards. Those don't take but 1-2 hrs. But sooner or later I'll be doing some other stuff.

:asian:

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
kids: 15 minute open warmup, 45 minute class
adult: 15 minute open warmup, 1 hour class

private lessons: 1/2 hour to 2 hours

I only do privates so my class time is almost never the same.

OP
E

elcajon555

We don;t have a set time of when we start and end, it is usually about an hour, never shorter and usually longer. And I could go to 9 classes a week.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where I am studying JKD and BJJ, the classes are an hour long during the day and 90 minutes in the evening. Classes are JKD the first half, BJJ the second half. There have been other threads on this subject, incidentally.

Depending on how much warm-up you have in your current school, you might not be losing that much training time.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At my home school, our classes are an hour and a half two times per week. Usually the last half hour of one of those classes is for sparring.

At my home away from home school, our classes are one hour long two times per week and then sometimes some of us stay for a half an hour longer to work techniques on each other.

:asian: :karate:

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

ShaolinWolf said:
I also take TKD and am a trainee instructor of ATA TKD. So, I can go in as much as I want. Between helping teach and going to class: Monday 2 hrs teach, learn 1-1.5 hrs , Tuesday teach 2.5, learn 1-3(I go in the mornings and evenings), Wednesday learn 1.5-2 hrs , Thursday teach 3.5 hrs, learn 1-3(I go in the morning and evenings) hrs., Saturday teach 1-2 hrs, learn 1-2.5 hrs(depends on if we have an instructor workout or just a class). So I'm there about 9-15 hrs to learn, 9-10 hrs teaching/helping out in classes. I'm pretty active there.

That's not to mention the smaller responsibilities of attendance and attendence cards. Those don't take but 1-2 hrs. But sooner or later I'll be doing some other stuff.

:asian:
I also meant to mention I go to about 7-10 classes a week, depending on Friday nights. Friday nights are more for "playtime",but we still learn nontheless. By playtime I mean, messing around with advanced technique for fun and grappling for fun and exploring without actually having something set.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1 - 1 1/2 hours twice a week. I usually get there a little early to stretch so it doesn't take up class time.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
My Kung fu classes are twice a week. The Tuesday ones you can stay for an hour but I always stay for 1.5 hour and Thursdays they are only an hour, but there is always something new and fun to learn, plus we have great workouts.
I would really love more classes as I know I have a friend who does Taekwondo 3 times week who has been traing for 2 years as opposed to me 6 years!

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
2 weeknight classes a week that are both 1 hour long but we can arrive as early as we want and stretch or practice techniques with each other until class starts. Saturday morning classes are about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Saturday's often feels too long for too early in the morning when the air conditioner doesn't work half the time and I get really hungry. :erg: :sadsong: ;)

Robyn :asian:

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Okinawan Goju-Ryu. Classes are twice a week lasting 2 hours a session. We spend about an hour bowing in, stretching/warming up, and then kihon. The last hour is spent on belt requirements/kata or sparring or self-defense applications.

OP
N

NW Boiler

TKD scheduled class 1 hour, personal session with Master M.K. Lee 1-2 hours

OP
R

RCastillo

Mine go to about 75 minutes, and they are also invited for impromptu sessions at my home for extra help if they get stuck on something. :asian:

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

NW Boiler said:
TKD scheduled class 1 hour, personal session with Master M.K. Lee 1-2 hours
M.K. Lee? That's neat. Lucky!

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our youth and adult TKD classes run for 1.5 each twice a week. That includes warmups, stetching, basics, forms etc. Sometimes I emphasize forms, sometimes sparring and drills, sometimes whatever else I want to work on. Lately we've been going outside to practice. The kids enjoy doing jumping techniques on the grass, while the adults have been practicing striking against trees.
It is not uncommon for the adult class to run over if I want to discuss something or go more in depth.

OP
J

jdubakki

the class i take goes about 1-1.5 hours once a week

the class i teach goes for 2 hours once a week

the classes(2) i help teach go for 1 hour twice a week
and still it isnt enough to quench my thirst

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Summer Hours we hold adult and kids classes Mon., Wed. & Fri., the adults class 1.5 hrs, the kids an hour. Private lessons for those that can't make reg. classes anywhere from an hour to 1.5 hrs. Our Fall,Winter and spring classes are 5 days a week 1-1.5 hrs each night. Our college Kenpo classes are 2x a week at an hour 40 minutes.

~Tess

Latest Discussions