How long is a class?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Today people want to learn, but unwilling to stay for long classes.

For our school, Pee wees (under 12) one hour is long.

Juniors and adults 1 1/2 hour seems to work for us because most of us school or jobs to go to the next day.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
For the serious guys, most of them only want to train 2-4 hours.
For the average guys most of them 1-1 1/12 hour is fine.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you research the old days of B-4 times, lot of those old timers in Japan,Okinawa,China,Korea, and other places, many train for long hours everyday. That is why they were so great.

How long a class should be? at least 3 1/2 miles or two mountains high, or six tree lengths, or eight monkeys tie together, or seven fish long?

Depends on your measurements you want to use here? ................We use the short angle methods in the Japanese versions. (chinese style).

Aloha, ( from three birds flying in the wrong direction).? ...that long?

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our adult classes run one hour or 45 minutes, depending on the day and time.

Sparring classes are 45 minutes.

We do a warmup for our regular classes but usually don't do a cooldown.

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Mon. Thurs and Sat. classes are scheaduled for 2 hours but usually are about 1 hour and 50 minutes by the time the mats are down.

Friday a few of us train for 1 1/2 to 2 hours and a smaller group of us are doing 1 hour of training on Mon. afternoon.

When I go up to workout with Dr. Wink's FMA/IMA group it's a 3-6 hour day.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
The actual class last 1 1/2 hr, but before Sensei comes onto the mat we warm up on our own. Since it is a very small class it depends on what we do. If Sensei "wastes" (it is never a waste, don't misunderstand me) time explaining techniques we can go a bit longer, while if it is pure "work out" the whole time Sensei might have a little bit of mercy on me and cut it a little shorter. However longer or shorter is a metter of 10 or 15 minutes. Thus an avarage of 1 1/2 hr.

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Our training lasts 1.5 hour. I don't think it's too long - rather, it's usually too short ;).
Usually, the warming-up lasts about 20 minutes (depends on who's leading it - it's much shorter when my instructor leads it instead of the assistant-instructor). Then we'll do a few jurus (like 1-30 twice) and after that, the 'real' training begins. My instructor starts explaining something and then we'll all do that (without partner) and then he elaborates on it etc. etc. until everyone has more-or-less mastered the technique / jurus. Then it's time for a water break (about 5 minutes) and after that, we'll all find ourselves a partner and start practising the technique on each other.
Sometimes, we'll do a little work with weapons, which is usually done when eveeyone understand the technique that was taught. In that case, the lesson lasts slightly longer than 1,5 hour ;).

Latest Discussions