How intimidated were you when you started?

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Were you intimidated by the more experianced students?

Hell, I was BULLIED by the senior student.

That changed as the skill levels closed, and I had the "last word" in our last sparring session, as it were.

He was an arrogant lout. Quite talented, but really full of himself. A lot of people quite because of him. Except me.

I look back on the insecure kid I was and I'm amazed I stuck with it. He wasn't as terrifying as some of the idiots I'd had harrassing me (and others) at school. Staying in class was facing the lesser of two fears, I guess.

The instructors were cool, though. Ken Funakoshi of the Karate Association of Hawaii taught my very first class. He was powerful, but humble. Very gentle in his teaching, and very inspirational.

Regards,

Steve

L

LadyDragon

I wasn't really intimidated by any one in class. Even during my first sparring class I was head strong. (until one of the upper belts in class tried putting me through a wall) That is when I started to get just a bit intimidated.

K

kenpo12

I wasn't too intimidated but I was just amazed at how well people moved.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The leader of my training group said, "What, you want to challenge me?" to me at my first class.

There's some background story, but it's not important. What is important is that he was playing around. I stammered a bit and said, "No."

"It's ok. I just like to see people's faces when I ask that." He smiled, and I knew we'd have a bunch of fun.

It was the way he said it and just threw it into the conversation that took my balance. I already knew he was a good teacher, so later that night I was saying to myself that I wished I'd said, "No, but it looks like you've got good control and I trust you. Let's go."

He was showing me stuff about life and budo; I see that now.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not very. Certainly, I had some concern about discomfort--I wasn't sure how well I'd handle being hit.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nevered intimated. I was the bold one out of my siblings. I went in too agressive. It was to discipline me at first.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I started the mentality was that one of the duties of a decent brown belt was to weed out the less committed white belts. So were okay, other brown belts would scyth thru that beginer class. First sparring session against the teacher, who had a ton of boxing in his background-me first time ever. well I did a fairly good job of stopping a overhand right, However stoppinh the punch with my nose not one of my better ideas. to this day I still love my afternoon naps!

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Kai said:
When I started the mentality was that one of the duties of a decent brown belt was to weed out the less committed white belts. So were okay, other brown belts would scyth thru that beginer class. First sparring session against the teacher, who had a ton of boxing in his background-me first time ever. well I did a fairly good job of stopping a overhand right, However stoppinh the punch with my nose not one of my better ideas. to this day I still love my afternoon naps!
So you were intimidated or had learned the hard way?

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When I first started I was more excited than intimidated, then I unfortunately learned the hard way that my first instructor was a fraud, so I took up Kenpo. When that happenned, I was somewhat afraid at first because I had never taken shots to the face in sparring, and that was a shocker for me, but I am glad I stuck with my second teacher until his passing. Today, I would never teach a sparring class that did not involve getting hit in the face. I must admit having a 3rd degree bb in kenpo put his arms behind his back and telling an orange belt you have 1 min to bring me down and then when the clock ticks the min he puts his hands up and goes all at it, was pretty darn intimitading, however all in all it made me a better fighter.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
A.) When I first started I was more excited than intimidated, then I unfortunately learned the hard way that my first instructor was a fraud, so I took up Kenpo.

B.) When that happenned, I was somewhat afraid at first because I had never taken shots to the face in sparring, and that was a shocker for me,

C.) but I am glad I stuck with my second teacher until his passing.
A.) Same here, but it happened to me twice. I was young.

B.) Some people have the fear of being hit in the face-but the fear goes away with experience.

C.) Sorry to hear of his passing-how long ago was that? What age and why did he expire-if I may ask?

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was simply terrified. Even though everyone was very nice and helpful,I still kept waiting for the intro period to be over and the "gloves to come off".

Eventually they did,but by then they knew that I could handle it.

Even now..years and Arts later..after countless seminars,intensives and training sessions conducted at a breakneak pace with some very large and skilled individuals.....there is still noone on earth that can put the fear of god into me like my little Aikido Sensei. Strange,I know.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Paul B said:
I was simply terrified. Even though everyone was very nice and helpful,I still kept waiting for the intro period to be over and the "gloves to come off".

Eventually they did,but by then they knew that I could handle it.

Even now..years and Arts later..after countless seminars,intensives and training sessions conducted at a breakneak pace with some very large and skilled individuals.....there is still noone on earth that can put the fear of god into me like my little Aikido Sensei. Strange,I know.
"Fear of God" I dont fear God, but my Master instructor and from what you say-yours..:asian:

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
hehe.

I was pretty intimidated, but was sort of proud of my ignorance.

Okay, that doesnt sound right. *tries again*

I felt stupid asking questions, but I asked them anyway just to show that I wasnt intimidated. but oh I was. I got over it in about a month once I knew what the heck was being asked of me (most of the time) when commands were shouted. That first class was slow going, I didnt know what anything was.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
C.) Sorry to hear of his passing-how long ago was that? What age and why did he expire-if I may ask?
Not a problem, 1995, was Cancer related, great guy but smoked way too much, stuff catches up with you eventually.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
Not a problem, 1995, was Cancer related, great guy but smoked way too much, stuff catches up with you eventually.
Yeah, that brings up the sterotyping that MA instructors are health concious or prime physical conditon.

I guess he was a good man.

Who "carries his torch"?

L

lowkickr

I've only been a student since early April. I was quite intimidated by my teacher. I think it was something about his quiet confidence. That coupled with the fact that he learned directly from Mas Oyama, left me somewhat intimidated. I think that has passed and a great respect remains. As I learn, I feel more comfortable, I guess its just an ongoing process.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
lowkickr said:
I've only been a student since early April. I was quite intimidated by my teacher. I think it was something about his quiet confidence. That coupled with the fact that he learned directly from Mas Oyama, left me somewhat intimidated. I think that has passed and a great respect remains. As I learn, I feel more comfortable, I guess its just an ongoing process.
Your teacher learned/studied directly from Oyama?

L

lowkickr

Yes sir he did. He is actually pictured in one of Mas Oyamas books. His name is Yasuhiko Oyama (no relation) his title is Saiko Shihan.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
So you were intimidated or had learned the hard way?
Actually, instead of being mad about the inequality of the skill level, I was fasinated. Mad me want to get better!

Latest Discussions