How important is ukemi?

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Andrew Green said:
Why restrict yourself to Strictly Competition throws if Judo is a martial art?

Strikes are a part of Judo to, but very few train them regullarly

Anyway

Heel pick - Kibisu-gaeshi

Body lock is wear you grab the guy around the waiste and lock you hands. Some very simple takedowns done from the side and the back involve sitting out to the side and draggin him down onto his back over top of you. Very simple, very safe. Basically the same thing can be done when in a headlock or guillotene.
Hi Andrew:

What are competition throws, and how do you restrict yourself to them?

Usually you do not learn the Kodokan Goshin No Kata and the Kishiki No Kata until you're past third dan.

Headlocks and guillotese chokes are not used in judo competition.

I like your opinions, but they're not very well informed in judo?

The types of 'take downs' you described are wrestling take downs. The closest throw in judo to a 'take down' is either sumi gaeshi or the newly accepted 'ankle pick up' in the Kodokan's expanded Gokyu NO Waza.

But I still think ukemi 'solo training' is very important.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
what about morote gari...that's nothing more than a double leg takedown

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

bignick said:
what about morote gari...that's nothing more than a double leg takedown
Throw, bignick, throw! Morote gari is a throw, you are airborne after the proper apllication of three parts of a judo throw: Kuzushi, tsukuri, and kake! Takedowns don't have these.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

bignick said:
why don't they?
As compared to a judo 'throw', a simple take down doesn't possess all three qualities of a throw: balance, entry, and execution. These are the basic criteria of a judo throw which you must keep in mind for the rest of your judo life!!!

For example, a trip, pick-up, roll-over, or single leg dive simple 'knocks' down your opponent; in the eyes of judo, a knock down is really nothing in comparison when your opponent does a complete 360 circle and lands with a double-bounce on the tatami. Maybe you haven't seen or experienced this yet?

In morote-gari, you butt uke in the chest with your shoulder, breaking his balance (kuzushi) to the rear while sweeping up both his legs, grabbing behind the knees (entry). You continue this drive and sweeping motion (as I was taught) with your legs sideways so as to not get a foot in the groin by accident, driving uke into the tatami with much more height and power (execution) than with a mere takedown.

So judo has distinguished a great deal of difference between a throw and a take-down.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Patrick Skerry said:
Hi Andrew:

What are competition throws, and how do you restrict yourself to them?

Usually you do not learn the Kodokan Goshin No Kata and the Kishiki No Kata until you're past third dan.

Headlocks and guillotese chokes are not used in judo competition.

I like your opinions, but they're not very well informed in judo?

The types of 'take downs' you described are wrestling take downs. The closest throw in judo to a 'take down' is either sumi gaeshi or the newly accepted 'ankle pick up' in the Kodokan's expanded Gokyu NO Waza.

But I still think ukemi 'solo training' is very important.
Does Judo not also contain a "self-defence" element? If it is a martial art and not just a sport as you keep saying than surely it must... But yet you don't train basic headlock escapes?

Oh and for the record, Judo and wrestling are not all that different...

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Andrew Green said:
Does Judo not also contain a "self-defence" element? If it is a martial art and not just a sport as you keep saying than surely it must... But yet you don't train basic headlock escapes?

Oh and for the record, Judo and wrestling are not all that different...
I think Sensei Scott gave a great description on how different is judo from wrestling, and judo's ukemi was only one important difference.

And for information on judo's "self-defence" element, please visit the 'koshiki no kata' thread.

Latest Discussions