Arm-bar analysis.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's an arm scissor. It compresses the muscles and the joint and REALLY REALLY hurts.

Fun stuff, but definately a compression lock.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Andrew Green said:
It's an arm scissor. It compresses the muscles and the joint and REALLY REALLY hurts.

Can this be utilized in BJJ?

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Andrew Green said:

I definately see a figure four in there rather than a scissors.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Patrick Skerry said:
Can this be utilized in BJJ?
Already answered in another thread

They really hurt, and as I said, a common variation is done from spider guard.

Another way is to get it off a arm bar attempt. They grab hands, triangle your legs around there arm leaving your forearm in there and squeeze. works good on strong guys ;)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Patrick Skerry said:
I definately see a figure four in there rather than a scissors.
The scissor is done on the arm, look at how the guy applying its arm is inserted. He is squeezing in on the arm and compressing the bicep into his forearm. It is a very painful technique.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Andrew Green said:
Already answered in another thread

They really hurt, and as I said, a common variation is done from spider guard.

Another way is to get it off a arm bar attempt. They grab hands, triangle your legs around there arm leaving your forearm in there and squeeze. works good on strong guys ;)
"Works good on strong guys" - yes, apparently, look at the musculatur of the guy getting cranked.

If this is a compression lock, then it can't be used in judo. Too bad, I love to reverse the attacker's technique against them, whether standing or on the mat.

I was trying to invent a new judo technique - a shime-waza against the arm; but I guess this has already been done in pro-wrestling and would be interpreted as an illegal move in judo (compression locks are disallowed). But it pays to do some research.

Latest Discussions