How effective is the art we study?

OP
I

IsshinryuKarateGirl

I feel my training is extremely important and useful. I also agree with twinkletoes and Kirves...I believe that it is what you put into your workout that you will get out of it. See, if you give no effort and don't try, you won't get anything from it...but if you try and put your full attention and concentration into the workout, you'll definately get better results.
:asian:

OP
T

twinkletoes

IssinryuKarateGirl,

I don't mean to sound like I'm disagreeing, because I'm not, but I don't think that's quite what we said.

You are completely correct that what you put in, you get out. No argument.

What we said, though, was that alive training including sparring is integral to one's ability to "use this stuff for real." Alive training means that skills are introduced, whether individual or (eek) in patterns, and then drilling which is unchoreographed, with realistic attacks and improvised footwork and timing, is done to build the skills in isolation. Following that, the skills are integrated into sparring so that they become a part of a person's usable skillset.

Training with aliveness (in the Thorntonian sense) is the key to making the skills usable. The isolated [alive] drill portion is the fundamental element in transferring moves from dead, cooperative, or solo training to usable sparring tactics.

For reading on this topic, anyone interested should check out www.straightblastgym.com. In the "Gorilla Press" section, there are tons of articles about the alive training approach, and how it makes training functional.

Best,

~TT

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only echo what TT has said!!! After seeing and having the chance to experience this, I agree 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MJS

OP
G

gojukylie

Just a thought. How effective is a gun. How effective is a baseball bat. How effective is a side kick? How effective is it when the situation is avoided. That is when our styles really become effective.:asian:
So train the mind as well as the body.:D

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gojukylie
Just a thought. How effective is a gun. How effective is a baseball bat. How effective is a side kick? How effective is it when the situation is avoided. That is when our styles really become effective.:asian:
So train the mind as well as the body.:D

A gun, like any weapon, and how effective its going to be depends on the person using it. I like talking about the gun, especially when people think that it is the "Ultimate SD Weapon" because it really isnt. A weapon, just like your empty hand training is going to be only as good as you make it! What I mean by this is, do you train, faithfully everyday, or do you only train 1 time a week? As for the gun, I think people rely on it too much because they dont train under stressfull conditions. Alot of times, it makes me laugh when people say, "Well, if I'm attacked, I'll just shoot them!" Yeah, ok. The first thing I usually say is, "Well, do you have your gun with you now?" They usually say no, and my reply is, well what good is it gonna do you if you dont have it? Also, not every situation is going to require you pulling the gun.

As for the other things you mention, a bat or especially a stick, can be deadly in the hands of a trained person. Yeah, anybody can swing a stick, but you cant compare the average person with someone studying the Filipino arts!

Mike

OP
G

gojukylie

Just in reply to your post Mat.

I agree with what you are saying. In my post all I was getting at was that the ultimate weapon or technique is not to use anything and avoid the situation.

:)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thats true! Being able to avoid something is definately better than fighting!:D

Mike

OP
G

goju.glenn

From a personal perspective, I am a complete wuss when hitting a bag. I feel like there is nothing in the punches or kicks I deliver.

I try to practice what my Sensei and Sempai teach - use your hips etc but I have hips which lock in the wrong places when I need them ........ and are all free and wobbly when they should be stiff. :D

My sister has a similar problem which we call the "[insert family name here] gene!! :D Obviously, she is not as bad as I given she is a Shodan - Ho.

EDIT: Due to a certain Shodan - Ho reading this post, they questioned whether they punch like a wuss. Let me clarify this point ......

I punch like a wuss, but we both a little hip problem. Sorry for the misunderstanding Sempai. :D :D :asian:

OP
G

gojukylie

I think it all comes down to how the individuals hold their composure when their skills and techniques are needed. Their ability to remain calm and think rationally. If we cannot do this than the effectiveness of the art we study is useless. Our minds control our body.:cool:

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it all comes down to how the individuals hold their composure when their skills and techniques are needed. Their ability to remain calm and think rationally. If we cannot do this than the effectiveness of the art we study is useless. Our minds control our body.:cool:

Holding your composure is just one piece of the puzzle. Composure won't do a thing for you when your getting slammed head first.

But I would rather be composed and try to not land on my head though.:D

OP
G

gojukylie

Originally posted by akja
Holding your composure is just one piece of the puzzle. Composure won't do a thing for you when your getting slammed head first.

But I would rather be composed and try to not land on my head though.:D

I understand your point, but you have to hold yourself together first, then you can use your techniques. If you lose it, your MA is useless.;)

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand your point, but you have to hold yourself together first, then you can use your techniques. If you lose it, your MA is useless.;)

No doubt!

Latest Discussions