How does your WC deal with going to the ground...

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
To avoid takedowns, my school actually likes to practice W.C a couple inches closer in than typical W.C range, and it actually helps to neutralize a lot of that. I know a lot of people have the "if he tries to throw you down, chop him in the back of the neck" mentality, but the problem with that is because of the guy's forward momentum you'll more than likely just end up bouncing off.

I also like to incorporate Northern Shaolin techniques into my WC. An example is that when some dude tries to grab my waist/legs to take me down, I bring whichever leg is forward back and shift into a reverse bow/archer stance and then spring back forward not unlike Tai Chi. It sounds silly but it's worked every time.

Not sure if that would work against the Gracies. Interesting to try it against them.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not sure if that would work against the Gracies. Interesting to try it against them.

I assume you mean "against a BJJ approach" and not the Gracies in person! ...But in general, I agree with the idea of testing your stuff against a competent and resisting opponent.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I assume you mean "against a BJJ approach" and not the Gracies in person! ...But in general, I agree with the idea of testing your stuff against a competent and resisting opponent.

Just so people know getting close and throwing long chains of strikes helps a grappler. Because you go into their range and are moving your hands away from where they can defend.

But of course if you are breaking peoples necks with palm strikes the risk is less.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just so people know getting close and throwing long chains of strikes helps a grappler. Because you go into their range and are moving your hands away from where they can defend.

If you would amend that to read, "getting close and throwing long chains of weak and ineffectual strikes..." I'd agree. On the other hand, if your strikes are strong and effective the equation changes.

--Another thing, the elbow-low position of the WC guard and punches can be quickly adapted to a defense against a shoot in the hands of an able practitioner who is also versed in grappling. The pictures Joy referenced above on his website give an idea of this.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you would amend that to read, "getting close and throwing long chains of weak and ineffectual strikes..." I'd agree. On the other hand, if your strikes are strong and effective ...well you get my drift.

Look if your strikes are hitting the guy in the head and messing him up then yes. But if they are pinging of their guard or they have a really good chin. You need to stop back off and reset if you want to stay on your feet.

So not only do your punches have to have some juice in them they have to be hitting the target and doing damage. And this is reliant on how good the other guys defence is.
Wrestling.

Hands low body dropped head up.

Olympic_Freestyle_Wrestling_(66_kg_-_Gold_Medal_Match_1).jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Striking.

Hands up body up. And in theory head down.

wing_chun_0113.JPG

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agree! Your punches will expose your "centerline" to your opponent.

Here is an example:

If you throw punches like that it will.
People seem to be under the misconception that chain punches are just used to try and batter their way through a guard , which unfortunately is what you mostly see on YouTube.

But they are a lot more sophisticated than that in the hands of a skilled practitioner , a skilled practitioner will also use wrist latching to drag any type of guard down.
One hand strikes while the other hand wrist latches , this can be done continuously with either hand.

So in your video a skilled practitioner would have already realized that his first strike would have bounced off your guard and used that bridge to drag your guard down and hit you with the other hand.

Its also worth noting that because the strikes are so compact and economical that they can be dropped down pretty quickly to press down and control someone's head if they have to.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agree! Your punches will expose your "centerline" to your opponent.

Here is an example:

John, this "rhino" or "big fist" thing just seems to me to have too many vulnerabilities when used against an adaptable fighter. Several times you've posted regarding how advantageous it is to grab and gain control of your opponent's wrists. Well, this "big fist" strategy seems like it's virtually offering your wrists up for a grab.

Now maybe a boxer won't take advantage of that. But a good all-round fighter will. So will a good WC guy. Lop, jut, pak --whatever. That big cumbersome "rhino" structure could be deflected, i.e. knocked or pressed aside in any direction disrupting your body structure and leaving a big opening. --Basically what Mook said.

Another thing, normally I'm not a big fan of "gunting" or limb-destructions, but if someone presented me with that "big fist", I'd be sorely tempted, especially if I was holding something hard like my keys, a strong pen, cell phone, wireless mouse, stapler, salt-shaker, ashtray, cue-ball, glass, bottle, or rock, etc. You could sure do a number on that "big fist", including the fingers, knuckles, wrists, forearms, and elbows! But hey, we weren't talking Eskrima. We were talking WC. In fact, I believe this thread was about using WC after ending up on the ground. Amazing how we get off-topic! (hint-hint)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions