how does your state rank?

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Brady Campaign *spits and mutters something the censor won't allow* has released their report card regarding state gun laws. In this case, bad is good since their definition of "good" means that the state oppresses the freedom of its citizens.
I'm proud to say MO is tied for next-to-last (though there are inaccuracies in their info...we should be tied for last along with KY and OK :D).

http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/pdf/scorecard/2007/2007_scorecard_rankings.pdf

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm, they rated Alabama higher than they should have.

They claim that Alabama is a "may-issue" state for concealed carry, and that the police have the power to deny a permit to anyone. While that may be true, had they done their research, they would find that anyone who has a clean record, behaves while filling out and turning the application, never gets denied.

If anything, Alabama is pretty much a "shall issue" state, and it's much easier for law-abiding folks to get permits here than in many "shall issue" states.

Then again, the Brady Campaign has always been known for flat-out ignorance and distortion of the facts.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fourteen. Hmm. We'll have to do worse next time.

Seriously, that's very strange. Oregon is "shall issue" with range protection and preemption. You can own Class III weapons, and open carry is technically legal in much of the State. I can't see how this makes my State more restrictive than Colorado which has none of that or Alabama which is gun-friendly but which is actually "may issue" or Washington which doesn't permit ownership of Class III at all.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fourteen. Hmm. We'll have to do worse next time.

Seriously, that's very strange. Oregon is "shall issue" with range protection and preemption. You can own Class III weapons, and open carry is technically legal in much of the State. I can't see how this makes my State more restrictive than Colorado which has none of that or Alabama which is gun-friendly but which is actually "may issue" or Washington which doesn't permit ownership of Class III at all.

I saw one of those before, and had the same questions. I think our "good" rating had something to do with the required instant background checks, and the 21 age for pistols. Stuff that I don't feel to bad about having.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tied with Orygun and Virginya at 14. Makes sense, but ... I think we're a little more lenient than OR ... not by much, but ... whatever.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You must be so proud.

Sometimes I get weirded out just by living 30 miles from the border.

Yeah, I live in the High Desert. Up here, the "freaked out" cancels out the "weirded out". I'm just a hop away from Big Bear, though, & the flat open country accommodates our long bolt guns rather nicely...

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I live in the High Desert. Up here, the "freaked out" cancels out the "weirded out". I'm just a hop away from Big Bear, though, & the flat open country accommodates our long bolt guns rather nicely...

I spent a few months in Murietta. I would often escape to the desert with my motorcycle on weekends. Beautiful country.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
not as bad as I was afraid .. but not as good as I wish.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where is the District of Colombia on that list?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where is the District of Colombia on that list?

Ah, well, they were only talking about amateurs. DC is in a league by itself. It is funny that with a Republican majority since the mid 1990s and control of both houses and the Presidency for seven years they couldn't get around to overturning the DC gun ban. Couldn't be because there are all those *shudder* Negroes living there. Nah...

Latest Discussions