How does one learn JKD?

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
Its not as simple as going to tuition and learning a set of techniques like with other martial arts. Its more complex.

If you learn the exact techniques Bruce learnt that would might be wrong because you arnt Bruce Lee and what suits your genetics might not be what suited Bruce Lee's genetics.

Also Bruce was always evolving never static in his techniques/style, so I presume its an on going learning process that never ends (at least not at this stage in history maybe in 300 years time we will know whats optimal for hand to hand because we dont at this point in time so progress is still being made)

Am I right in thinking JKD is like science, you are always testing new things that you suspect might be effective and if they work you keep them if not you throw them away and continue on with the experimentation?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not as simple as going to tuition and learning a set of techniques like with other martial arts. Its more complex.

If you learn the exact techniques Bruce learnt that would might be wrong because you arnt Bruce Lee and what suits your genetics might not be what suited Bruce Lee's genetics.

Also Bruce was always evolving never static in his techniques/style, so I presume its an on going learning process that never ends (at least not at this stage in history maybe in 300 years time we will know whats optimal for hand to hand because we dont at this point in time so progress is still being made)

Am I right in thinking JKD is like science, you are always testing new things that you suspect might be effective and if they work you keep them if not you throw them away and continue on with the experimentation?

I would say that is plausible, but of course it would be down to the particular student. I would never presume to think I could understand the philosophy of JKD, I think that is something for the younger student that starts early in life, but from the little I have done so far, it is experimentation within a basic frame work. When it comes to Bruce Lee, he just was a phenomenon, but obviously laid the ground work for future JKD. What would it be like now if he had not had a untimely passing, no idea tbh, but it is a bit of a minefield when it comes to JKD. For example, the other night, I expected to lead of the right. In stead, I lead of my left, but the Sifu instructs both left and right. Don't quite get why yet, but it works!

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Bruce Lee was a "man" before anything else. If having Bruce Lee's genetics was an indication of one's ability to do Martial Art, I don't think it would survive very long. As we know he was not born with innate Martial Art skill which a theory of genetics might suggest. He learned everything he did with devoted dedication and a very strong work ethic. There is strength in understanding this because it serves as proof that any person can become a great Martial Artist with the right mental attitude. I believe that is a first requirement.
Aside from discovering a personal purpose for Martial Art, I would also recommend those to understand Lee's Martial Art principles as another requirement; interpreting said principles to the best of their ability. His principles serve as the guidelines he used to selectively progress and refine his theory of Martial Art, and thereby stands as the means by which the progression of JKD takes place in my opinion.
Furthermore I would challenge those to a personal conviction of honest expression as Lee defined it. Honestly expressing one's true purpose for Martial Art and the selective progression toward that attainment. An evaluative process to keep one's potential refinements honest in that goal is the "scientific process" as I see it.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bruce Lee was a "man" before anything else. If having Bruce Lee's genetics was an indication of one's ability to do Martial Art, I don't think it would survive very long. As we know he was not born with innate Martial Art skill which a theory of genetics might suggest. He learned everything he did with devoted dedication and a very strong work ethic. There is strength in understanding this because it serves as proof that any person can become a great Martial Artist with the right mental attitude. I believe that is a first requirement.
Aside from discovering a personal purpose for Martial Art, I would also recommend those to understand Lee's Martial Art principles as another requirement; interpreting said principles to the best of their ability. His principles serve as the guidelines he used to selectively progress and refine his theory of Martial Art, and thereby stands as the means by which the progression of JKD takes place in my opinion.
Furthermore I would challenge those to a personal conviction of honest expression as Lee defined it. Honestly expressing one's true purpose for Martial Art and the selective progression toward that attainment. An evaluative process to keep one's potential refinements honest in that goal is the "scientific process" as I see it.

I do not know about that. I just am me, and what I want. Difficult question!

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you want to do what Bruce did, you need to study what Bruce studied. If you want to follow his philosophy, you need to apply it to whatever you study.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It all depends on which side of the JKD fence you are on; the side that thinks it is constantly evolving like Dan Inosanto or the side that thinks you need to stick to what Bruce was teaching at the time like the late Jerry Poteet.

However no matter what side I always think about this quote from Bruce Lee

Jeet Kune Do is just a name used, a boat to get one across, and once across it is to be discarded and not to be carried on one's back.
[TR]
[TD="width: 100%"]
[/TD]
[/TR]

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It all depends on which side of the JKD fence you are on; the side that thinks it is constantly evolving like Dan Inosanto or the side that thinks you need to stick to what Bruce was teaching at the time like the late Jerry Poteet.

However no matter what side I always think about this quote from Bruce Lee

Well, if we're quoting Bruce: "Research your own experiences for the truth. Absorb what is useful. Reject what is useless. Add specifically what is your own".

I'm not a JKDist but I'd agree with Dan.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, if we're quoting Bruce: "Research your own experiences for the truth. Absorb what is useful. Reject what is useless. Add specifically what is your own".

I'm not a JKDist but I'd agree with Dan.

Like I said, it all depends on which side of the JKD fence you are on.

But I have been wondering how there was a JKD school at all

Jeet Kune Do is just a name used, a boat to get one across, and once across it is to be discarded and not to be carried on one's back.

Don't get me wrong, I trained it briefly on the Jerry Poteet side of the fence, and it was a blast, but these days, no matter which side of the fence you are on it appears to be a style with associated training methods and I don't think that is what Bruce Lee was after

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
while researching your own experience may be true, it's also relative. A majority of Bruce's students had prior Martial Arts experience, or were already black belts in other styles. So that doesn't easily apply to beginners of the Arts, or people looking to empty their cup of tea in my opinion. And also while on that quote, "absorb what's useful, reject useless"... I ask what's the screening process for determining such values? Sparring? Street fighting? Because let's be honest in this expression... unless one is actively knuckling up and testing their learned material regularly on the street, then it's all a matter of guess work. Lee tested his theories of Martial Arts. Yet in still we have people in our community who have discovered their own "blends", but may have been in only 2 or 3 fights. Now in the event we give the benefit of doubt and say their teacher has the qualifying fights or "source knowledge".... how is that any different from the guys who look to train the event horizon of what Lee actually taught? I believe on all accounts, that whatever we learn we should research our own experience by testing the material, and making sure that it aligns with the principles we believe in.

All that aside, if researching one's own experience is truly at the heart of what one desires, then why reference and affiliate with Bruce Lee at all? Surely we are all exceptional Martial artists capable of replicating Bruce's prodigal achievements of self-mastery by undergoing a similar process of evolution... without Bruce's guidance. Or are we?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you don't know about what exactly? I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand your point.

Sorry, I missed out the word "know". I really do agree that Bruce Lee is a cracking role model if you immerse yourself in that philosophy. That is what I find difficult, putting the whole lot together. Perhaps it is an older person type thing and I will get it at a future date.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I personally believe it starts with understanding and embodying the principles. Unfortunately too many of us are in a rush to philosophy as masters, before first dedicating as students.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally believe it starts with understanding and embodying the principles. Unfortunately too many of us are in a rush to philosophy as masters, before first dedicating as students.

Agreed. I have often thought about that very thing. Not so much about mastering an art, but whether I actually have the time left to master an art. I am always perplexing myself with silly questions of what if, but then quickly realise at least I have read the first page, now for the story of my life at least.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
One of the biggest influences in JKD is Daoism. Lee's 3 stages of cultivation comes directly from this. Now the Dao teaches us to live in the present. In your case martial mastery is an unforeseeable future that really can't be predicted. So the best way to follow Dao in reference to your Kung Fu is to make a daily contribution to your training.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the biggest influences in JKD is Daoism. Lee's 3 stages of cultivation comes directly from this. Now the Dao teaches us to live in the present. In your case martial mastery is an unforeseeable future that really can't be predicted. So the best way to follow Dao in reference to your Kung Fu is to make a daily contribution to your training.

Yeah, I hear you on that. The problem for me is that I have limited knowledge of WC. Bare with me on this. Every time, well not every time as such, but tend to think "what did Bruce do" when seeing the other side of JKD. In that I mean I see it as two sides. What would have become if Master Lee had not been taken early, versus the principles and their own skill set. The rest is just conjecture on my part, so I cannot be more open with that. Is JKD/Kali with a boxing element still Kung Fu? Look only had like six lessons at Elements since the water damage (Hove had a months rain in two hours a while back, the school got whacked) One more influence could not hurt :) Cool!

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Pretty much. It's a life-long journey of learning what works best for you. JKD is an applied philosophy. When you make it into a style, you lose it's essence. You have to test things out and see what works for you as an individual.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pretty much. It's a life-long journey of learning what works best for you. JKD is an applied philosophy. When you make it into a style, you lose it's essence. You have to test things out and see what works for you as an individual.
Yes, because styles will get you beaten or killed in self defense.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
1. Pick up a martial art.
2. Study, practice, and spar.
3. Start going to the gym.
4. once you are getting good at art 1 pick another art.
5. Keep going practicing, studying and conditioning.
Close arts, distance arts, hard arts, soft arts, striking arts, grappling arts, etc, never stop. Just keep accumulating skills and conditioning forever.

If after many years of this you want to tell people you do JKD, feel free.

I disagree with this. If you want JKD, train JKD. If you want to put a mishmash of other styles together, even though you trained them extensively, does not make it JKD. No link to Bruce Lee it is not JKD

Doing a form slow does not make it taijiquan, doing a style in a circle does not make it Baguazhang, training various styles of Karate does not give one the right to call it kyokushin if no kyokushin was trained. Rolling around fighting on the ground does not make it BJJ. Putting a bunch of styles together, on your own, does not make it JKD

Latest Discussions