How do you carry YOUR purse/backpack?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-theft22jan22,1,7640037.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

With Metro map in hand, I held tightly onto my backpack and my one suitcase as I rolled it onto the first train. I had stashed my passport, money and credit cards in my wallet in my fanny pack belted in front of me, and my coat was slightly open.

The subway appeared efficient and clean, though crowded. But because I had just spent the previous week negotiating the subways of Barcelona, I felt confident.

As I got off at my first stop and boarded the second train, I cautiously moved toward the back of the car away from the crowd. I noticed a young, nicely dressed girl to my right. A minute before the doors opened to my final stop, I saw the girl race to the door. As the door opened, I looked down at my fanny pack. It was open — and my wallet was gone.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is why you don't assume NOTHING can be broken into. One of the things my dad told me and my 2 brothers, "Don't keep all of your money in one place, switch pockets every so often, and keep eyes open" (there's a little more to it, but you get the idea). I also like the idea of travelers checks when travelling.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not sure that I really agree with the premise of the thread here. I think that your average purse snatcher is not generally a person who is going to violently assault you. It seems to me that you are looking at two different things for the most part.

I think that the best way for a person to carry a purse / backpack is more a question of your surroundings than it being always best to carry it one way or the other.

If I were alone in a a bad neighborhood at night (which isn't someplace I would be under any normal circumstance, but still) I would probably follow the one shoulder option, as a person there sees you, and only you as a potential target, so if they are going to attack you, then they are going to attack you. How you are holding a bag doesn't matter, so I'd want to be able to get rid of it as easily as possible.

Now, I think if I were in a crowded train station or on a busy street in the middle of the day, I'd go for the other option, and carry it in a more secure way. I think that if your purse or bag is going ot get stolen in this situation, its not going to be by a guy who is going to want a confrontation. It'll be a grab and go type thing, so I'd just assume have the best handle on my stuff as possible. The perp here is likely to look for the easiest target, and that is going to be some lady who just has her perse slung over one arm.

I guess I just think there is more than one way to look at it, and that one way isn't neccessarily the best in all situations.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't be caught dead with a "Fanny" pack...a Man purse if you will...I like my messanger bag and it helps me keep my load light and I can defend myself easier than I would with a heavy back pack.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do carry a handbag. Sometimes a laptop bag. Sometimes a gear bag. I never carry it across my body. There is nothing in my purse that cannot be replaced within a week.

There are two items I don't put in my purse. One is my keys, the other is my passport. My keys are on a carabiner, In most cases, I am wearing the carabiner on one of my hands like a set of brass knuckles. On the occasion where I need both hands, I clip my keys to my clothing. If I'm traveling anywhere away from home, I carry my passport seperately. If I get stuck someplace and my wallet gets stolen, I need to be sure I can get on a plane to come back home.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I walk around with a back pack (day pack like for school and such) and the strap is perched on one shoulder or another. I like to think that my reaction time is fast enough (along with my awareness) that if anyone were (fool) enough to try and make a grab and run for it they're gonna be in for a nasty surprise in that most likely I'll react with grabbing the strap as I feel it beginning to slide off my shoulder and hang on to it. One of us is going to be yanked off balance. Chances are it ain't gonna be me. Then there comes the *** whuppin. Theirs not mine.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of the times I've used a backpack, I'm pretty sure I'd just laugh at the guy dashing off with it. Dunno where he's gonna fence my homework, or my trail mix etc.

Latest Discussions