How did Taekwon-Do (1955) predating 1966 look like?

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Even if the completion predates 1965, and I would be wrong in my 10 years claim, I would still suppose the 24 forms (or even close to that) were not in existence during the TKD schools back in 1955. And 1955 was the point of my question - how did those schools operate, which patterns (apart from one or two from Choi) did the students practice and recieve gradings in?
You don't think the meaningless post you praised from poster archtkd, was rude?

I am free of all charges as to bashing, since I do both styles of Taekwondo, and I love it.[/QUO
Since the name Tae Kwon Do was first officialy adopted in 1955 there weren't many schools using the name that year. There are accounts that with the exception of CDK students those entering the Oh Do Kwan (ODK) or other TKD gyms had to re grade whic was another element that really P O'd many people. Since the ODK contained luminaires from several Kwans it is likely reps from the respective Kwans did the grading. It seems to have not been unlike the KKW where dans were issued to people doing any number of systems. The KKW has no moved to a single pattern system for Dan Issuance. I will let a KKW person address when this occurred.

The first unified
He equated me with ignorance and you don't find that rude? I wouldn't want to know your friends.

The post was meaningless since it lacked any substance; It did not offer a single response to my view points.

Call it hypocrisy if you like. I can have an objective viewpoint on my martial art, not being brain washed by it's founding fathers, and still taking pleasure from it's various training methods.

English can be a very difficult language. I didn't equate. I stated a fact, which does not mean the same thing as rude.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Starting which year did schools adopt the name of Taek Kwon Do? 1956?

As stated in the Bio following adoption of the Name the Dang Soo Do sign was removed from the Oh Do Kwan and replaced with a TKD sign. After that it was an on going process. It happened over the tyears with some never adopting the name and some perhaps only after the KKW / WTF creation.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also, some dispute Choi came up with the name Tae Kwon Do. He did however suggest it.

Why did General Choi convince Jhoon Rhee, amongst others, to start using the name Tae Kwon Do instead? It's just semantics. The effort was clearly to differentiate their art from Karate, due to nationalistic purposes.

I agree the purpose was to create a new art and one identifiably as Korean. But it is an oversimplification to think only the name was adoprted. Jhoon Rhee and many others also adopted the new system.

OP
L

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree the purpose was to create a new art and one identifiably as Korean. But it is an oversimplification to think only the name was adoprted. Jhoon Rhee and many others also adopted the new system.

Jhon Rhee was not particularly loyal to Chois ITF ( he was of course free to do what ever he wants) and split quickly to form his own organisation.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of formed the impression that you were anti WTF. Oh well I'll go and be confused elsewhere.

Just kind of wondering if you are shy of answering my question. Rather than skirt it, could you pretty please answer :) , I'm confused.

OP
L

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just kind of wondering if you are shy of answering my question. Rather than skirt it, could you pretty please answer :) , I'm confused.

I dislike the current state of affairs regarding WTF, but things might change.... ITF and WTF are cooperating for the olympics, and WTF are interested to incorporate higher punching for future contests and more collabration with ITF. Perhaps the punching rules will never change, who knows. Here's hoping it will - Taekwondo is not Tae Kyon.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dislike the current state of affairs regarding WTF, but things might change.... ITF and WTF are cooperating for the olympics, and WTF are interested to incorporate higher punching for future contests and more collabration with ITF. Perhaps the punching rules will never change, who knows. Here's hoping it will - Taekwondo is not Tae Kyon.

That does not answer the question, that is political. I am asking you for you're own feelings on this. Obviously what you posted has some resonance, but I think you are still being slightly evasive. Hey look, I am know WTF expert or with TKD, but something does not smell right.

OP
L

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
That does not answer the question, that is political. I am asking you for you're own feelings on this. Obviously what you posted has some resonance, but I think you are still being slightly evasive. Hey look, I am know WTF expert or with TKD, but something does not smell right.

WTF is politics and you asked about WTF. It's in your interest to specificy If you seek a more elaborate answer.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WTF is politics and you asked about WTF. It's in your interest to specificy If you seek a more elaborate answer.

Quite. I want you're personal feelings on this. Hey, you are still being evasive.. Yeah I know diddly squat about MA, but I think you are being a bit arrogant. Just answer my question please :)

OP
L

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Quite. I want you're personal feelings on this. Hey, you are still being evasive.. Yeah I know diddly squat about MA, but I think you are being a bit arrogant. Just answer my question please :)

There was no question posed. This is what you wrote: Kind of formed the impression that you were anti WTF. Oh well I'll go and be confused elsewhere.

Tell me where the question mark is. I am not being evasive. I am straight forward, not arrogant.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was no question posed. This is what you wrote: Kind of formed the impression that you were anti WTF. Oh well I'll go and be confused elsewhere.

Tell me where the question mark is. I am not being evasive. I am straight forward, not arrogant.

Politician's answer
rolling.gif

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey look, when in front of a mirror, what do you see? May add some context. Basically I could not do TKD, but that does mean I do not enjoy TKD. You know what I am going to end it here, you have issues that I could not care less about, I love watching TKD competition, and yes that that Tornado kick is magical to me! ITF or WTF, I like what I see already :) Hey look I am no martial artist, I just don't see what is the beef.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Laplace_demon, post: .

Tell me where the question mark is. I am not being evasive. I am straight forward, not arrogant.[/QUOTE]

Here is a question. Note the question mark.

Have you also been note on the internet as a poster using the name ITF-Taekwondo?

OP
L

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
[QUOTE="

Have you also been note on the internet as a poster using the name ITF-Taekwondo?

No. How about the various Tae Kwon Do styles not adopting Chois patterns/system? How does that fit into this manufactored rewritting of history?

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jhon Rhee was not particularly loyal to Chois ITF ( he was of course free to do what ever he wants) and split quickly to form his own organisation.

Just a point of clarification: My understanding is that Jhoon Rhee first started teaching pre-ITF taekwondo, then later switched to teaching ITF-taekwondo at Choi's urging, then later switched again to a style that Rhee developed himself. So...not disagreeing with what you said, just elaborating upon it.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
No. How about the various Tae Kwon Do styles not adopting Chois patterns/system? How does that fit into this manufactored rewritting of history?

Your question needs to be more specific. Exactly what manufactured re writing of history do you refer to?

OP
L

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Your question needs to be more specific. Exactly what manufactured re writing of history do you refer to?

That Tae Kwon Do (1955) is historically a korean martial art. It is not. General Chois patterns, which I like, are not what signifies Tae Kwon Do, since many TKD stylists don't and never have adhered to his 24 forms. So that can't be what makes it uniquely Korean. If it was, one could make a case for TKDs legitimacy and independence. But these forms are just as triviallly part of one particular style of TKD, as Goju Ryu kata is from Shotokan in Karate.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Tae Kwon Do (1955) is historically a korean martial art. It is not. General Chois patterns, which I like, are not what signifies Tae Kwon Do, since many TKD stylists don't and never have adhered to his 24 forms. So that can't be what makes it uniquely Korean. If it was, one could make a case for TKDs legitimacy and independence. But these forms are just as triviallly part of one particular style of TKD, as Goju Ryu kata is from Shotokan in Karate.

Sorry but that doesn't make any sense.

Latest Discussions